15 replies to this topic

#1 ewp11100

ewp11100

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:33 AM

I bought rice cakes at the store which had a gluten-free label. When I can home I notice they have Caramel coloring. Should I trust that what ever the caramel coloring is derived from is not wheat?
TIA I'm a newbie!
Erin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

I bought rice cakes at the store which had a gluten-free label. When I can home I notice they have Caramel coloring. Should I trust that what ever the caramel coloring is derived from is not wheat?
TIA I'm a newbie!
Erin

Caramel color is not a concern for people with Celiac. If an ingredient was derived from wheat, it must be listed on the lable.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

Lisa,

Does this include drinks as well? For example, teas?
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Caramel color is safe for celiacs. Period.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

good to know, thanks for the info!
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

Lisa,

Does this include drinks as well? For example, teas?

Yes, it does Kim :)

For those learning the twists and turns of the diet, I would recommend www.CeceliasMarketplace.com, a Gluten Free Grocery Guide that is published annually.

After that first year, you will learn to read labels, which is the best way to purchase food and eat safely.
Lisa

#7 my.oh.my

my.oh.my

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

For those learning the twists and turns of the diet, I would recommend www.CeceliasMarketplace.com, a Gluten Free Grocery Guide that is published annually.

After that first year, you will learn to read labels, which is the best way to purchase food and eat safely.

Wow Lisa! thanks for the website... Very inforamtive and helpful!

#8 my.oh.my

my.oh.my

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

Wow Lisa! thanks for the website... Very inforamtive and helpful!

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

I avoid it unless I call and find out what it is made from. From the Unsafe list on this website:

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

The problem with caramel color is it may or may not contain gluten depending on how it is manufactured. In the USA caramel color must conform with the FDA standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute says: the color additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material resulting from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following food-grade carbohydrates: Dextrose (corn sugar), invert sugar, lactose (milk sugar), malt syrup (usually from barley malt), molasses (from cane), starch hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat), sucrose (cane or beet). Also, acids, alkalis and salts are listed as additives which may be employed to assist the caramelization process.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

I avoid it unless I call and find out what it is made from. From the Unsafe list on this website:

http://www.celiac.co...ents/Page1.html

The problem with caramel color is it may or may not contain gluten depending on how it is manufactured. In the USA caramel color must conform with the FDA standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute says: the color additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material resulting from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following food-grade carbohydrates: Dextrose (corn sugar), invert sugar, lactose (milk sugar), malt syrup (usually from barley malt), molasses (from cane), starch hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat), sucrose (cane or beet). Also, acids, alkalis and salts are listed as additives which may be employed to assist the caramelization process.

http://www.glutenfre.../ingredient.php

Caramel color
Corn is used to make caramel color in the U.S. The FDA does permit use of barley malt but all major caramel color producers say corn makes a better product.

http://celiacdisease...el_Coloring.htm

BUT registered dietitian Shelley Case, who is on the medical advisory board of the Celiac Disease Foundation, the Gluten Intolerance Group, and the Canadian Celiac Association, told me that gluten-containing ingredients are no longer used to make caramel coloring in North America, and from my own correspondence with major manufacturers of caramel color that indeed seems to be the case. While gluten-containing ingredients can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies are now using glucose from corn, or sometimes sucrose (table sugar). In Europe, Shelley says, companies use glucose syrup that's derived from wheat starch, but the caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.
Lisa

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php

Caramel color
Corn is used to make caramel color in the U.S. The FDA does permit use of barley malt but all major caramel color producers say corn makes a better product.

http://celiacdisease...el_Coloring.htm

BUT registered dietitian Shelley Case, who is on the medical advisory board of the Celiac Disease Foundation, the Gluten Intolerance Group, and the Canadian Celiac Association, told me that gluten-containing ingredients are no longer used to make caramel coloring in North America, and from my own correspondence with major manufacturers of caramel color that indeed seems to be the case. While gluten-containing ingredients can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies are now using glucose from corn, or sometimes sucrose (table sugar). In Europe, Shelley says, companies use glucose syrup that's derived from wheat starch, but the caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

Scott got his info straight from the FDA website (I just checked to be sure). At no place in the FDA website does it say that corn is the most common source but it of course could be.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

In addition, as mentioned in the above quote, caramel color is so highly processed, any gluten, regardless of the source, is removed during that process.

Caramel color should be safe the the general Celiac community to consume.
Lisa

#13 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

Caramel Coloring in FOOD must be labeled if it was derived from wheat. In other products, I call just to be on the safe side. But, if it is a food item, labeled gluten free (with caramel coloring) but no mention of wheat, I would not worry. :)

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Here is Shelley Case's take on it, from Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide:

Although gluten-containing ingredients (barley malt syrup and starch hydrolysates) can be used in the production of caramel color, North American companies use corn as it has a longer shelf life and makes a superior product. European companies use glucose derived from wheat starch, however caramel color is highly processed and contains no gluten.

[Emphasis in original]
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 soulcurrent

soulcurrent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Caramel color is safe for celiacs. Period.

I disagree, at least as far as my own system is concerned. I've had several reactions that were tied back to caramel coloring.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator.
-------------------------
Diagnosed 9/28/09; Gluten free diet started 10/4/09.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: