This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Non-Gmo Food Labeling?

soulcurrent

soulcurrent Explorer

I got this email from a family friend and I'm not entirely sure I understand what's going on here or how it would potentially affect gluten-free foods. Thoughts?

------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Please take a few moments to let your government know that you are against any type of law that would hide the real contents of our food.

This measure is alarming. Especially after so many years of trying to get full disclosure on our food labels....

I find it even more troublesome because of recent evidence that many "gluten intolerant" folks are not actually sensetive to gluten, but rather to the GMOs in wheat, oats, etc. (This is not the same as folks with Celiac Disease) What other health issues might be avoided if people could see a lable and avoid food with GMO's?

Peace,

Jacqueline

(removed)@hotmail.com

===============

from their website:

U.S. government representatives are right now attempting to force

a new global rule at the CODEX meetings taking place this very week.

They're trying to outlaw all "no GMOs" labeling (Genetically Modified

Organisms) and food claims, thereby making it illegal for a food

company to tell consumers that its products are non-GMO. For more

info:

www.naturalnews.com/028716_GMOs_food_labels.html

Your help is urgently needed to send a message to the Secretaries of State (Clinton), Agriculture (Vilsack), and Health and Human Services (Sebelius) to urge them to halt the USA's nefarious attempts to install a global GMO deception.

Take part in this online petition, go here:

Open Original Shared Link

Please understand that the U.S. is attempting to outlaw non-GMO labeling of foods, thereby making it illegal for a non-GMO food product to even claim "non-GMO" on the label. If the U.S. succeeds in this global GMO cover-up, the FDA could seize any products in the USA that make "non-GMO" claims. Additionally, the USA could file lawsuits through the World Trade Organization against any country that allows non-GMO labeling or claims on its products.

Why is the U.S. pursuing such a devious and sinister course of action? Because, as you well know, virtually the entire federal government caters to the financial interests of powerful corporations -- and these include the "Big Ag" giants like Monsanto that want to patent all seeds while destroying the no-GMOs movement. They want to turn non-GMO foods into violations of the law and thereby strip all such products from store shelves.

They want to keep American consumers left in the dark, ignorant of the real dangers posed by GMOs. And of course, they want to dominate the entire U.S. food supply with their toxic GMO crops.

These powerful, dangerous corporations are willing to do anything to achieve their global agenda, including forcing GMO censorship on the entire world.

They might just get away with it, too, unless you join us in speaking up right now to oppose this devious and dangerous action.

Add your voice to the online petition right here:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

This really is a major issue and deserves everyones attention.

All consumers have a right to know but it is extremely important for those with any food allergies to know.

This is a highly controversial emotional issue especially here in Hawaii where so much of the GMO research is being conducted. Its good to be informed..

soulcurrent Explorer

All consumers have a right to know but it is extremely important for those with any food allergies to know.

This is a highly controversial emotional issue especially here in Hawaii where so much of the GMO research is being conducted. Its good to be informed..

Agree. I don't understand it as much as I'd like to yet but what I do know is scary stuff.

Gemini Experienced

Europeans take this very seriously, Ken, but I doubt folks in America will care much. They have no idea what's in the food they eat now and just want it cheap. Food is too highly controlled and produced here in the States by major corporations who don't want you to know this stuff. The only ones here who care are those of us with major food issues. Kind of sad......

kenlove Rising Star

It really is very sad. Being focused on these issues here in Hawaii, where it really is a much smaller world, gives me a similar sense of forlorn about the rest of the country. If we cant understand it where every one knows each other in a tiny place like south kona, how can the rest of the country. We are asked to use gmo seeds all the time for tests yet refuse as we cant get straight answers to any questions.

take care

Europeans take this very seriously, Ken, but I doubt folks in America will care much. They have no idea what's in the food they eat now and just want it cheap. Food is too highly controlled and produced here in the States by major corporations who don't want you to know this stuff. The only ones here who care are those of us with major food issues. Kind of sad......

mushroom Proficient

This is really alarming to me. I hope New Zealand is not participating in this - as one of the last non-GMO bastions of the world. Not that our scientists aren't researching, but nothing is allowed to get into the food chain.

I truly believe that all my intolerances, and there are many, are due to lectins, and lectins are the stuff they splice from one plant to another. It's bad enough that we don't know what food has been spliced with what, but to take away the ability of knowing what hasn't had anything spliced is disastrous. (There are high levels of lectins in wheat (gluten), corn, soy, nightshades, peanuts, legumes, fairly high in citrus, you get the picture...) Tomatoes, for example, have been spliced with lectins from the rubber plant to make them fungus resistant :o ; this is one of the few I actually know about--if you are latex intolerant will you also become tomato intolerant (or vice versa?)) We may well end up with people who can't eat anything, if they keep this up!!!

I will sign the petition. And maybe make some offerings of my own :P

Archived