7 replies to this topic

#1 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

I've seen posts here re. things like tachycardia that was caused by gluten, and I must say that my mild tachycardia has improved quite a bit since going g.f. back in March. But starting about a month before that, about early Feb. I think, I noticed that my heart would sometimes skip a beat. When I saw my doc in March I told her about it and she listened to it, but of course it wouldn't do it while she was listening. So that was when she said that she was sure that most of my many health problems were caused by gluten--they were all classic symptoms, and that I should do the challenge for a month. So I did, and several things began improving quite a bit within a few weeks, including the tachycardia.

But the skipping-a-beat thing has gotten much worse. Since my doc close at noon today, and besides she's an N.D. so I doubt she has an EKG machine---I went to another doc and had an EKG done. Although right now it's skipping beats about every 15 seconds, of course then it didn't. But it did when the nurse took my pulse and when the doc listened to it. She ordered blood work done because she thinks it may be due to a potassium or electrolyte imbalance.

Has anyone had this particular problem before going g.f.? And did it resolve after going g.f.? Like I said, mine's gotten worse, so perhaps it is e. or p. imbalances. I thought I'd be smart and start drinking something with eletrolytes right away, reasoning that it won't do me any harm (the tests are due back Wed. next week). So I went to the store and looked at the label on a bottle of Pedialyte and one of the main ingredients was dextrose. Are they kidding me? I can't drink sugar water! Dextrose is a form of sugar, right? Does anyone know how else I can get electrolytes, without consuming a bunch of sugar? I would get a potassium supplement, but I'm afraid of raising it if it's already normal. And since going g.f., fruit causes tons of stomach pain and diarrhea, so things like bananas and kiwis are out.

Any suggestions? This thing is really driving me nuts.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

For what it's worth, I have pretty much determined that my weird heart problems are caused by lectins in foods, including tachycardia, early and late beats, skipped beats, etc. As long as I avoid high-lectin containing foods (my intolerances are nightshades, legumes, soy, corn - gluten, of course - peanuts, and at one point citric acid) the symptoms go away. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kikamonster

kikamonster

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Does anyone know how else I can get electrolytes, without consuming a bunch of sugar? I would get a potassium supplement, but I'm afraid of raising it if it's already normal. And since going g.f., fruit causes tons of stomach pain and diarrhea, so things like bananas and kiwis are out.

Any suggestions? This thing is really driving me nuts.

I haven't had any major tachycardia issues, but I have a blood pressure issue (too low) that requires me to stay well hydrated and get lots of electrolytes. One part of my solution (aside from eating salty food because that's what the doctors tell me to do!) is to drink SmartWater. It is just water with electrolytes in it. Back when my BP issue got diagnosed, it was almost impossible to find but now you will find it in the water or soda/juice section of most every store. It tastes a little odd but it does a good job of replacing electrolytes for me.. And gluten-free, of course!

P.S. It will almost certainly make you need to pee more often--you've been warned! ;-)

#4 Emsstacey

Emsstacey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:14 AM

You can get potassium from eating Banana's. I would be careful, though... because you don't know if yours is high or low and either can cause problems. Most likely, it is low, but I would just hate to tell you to go eat a bunch of bananas and it be the other way around. ;)

If you aren't already, I would cut out the caffeine and take a good, quality multi vitamin. Also, the bad thing about palpitations is that stress will make it worse. If they continue to worsen or if they start to happen one after the other, then go to the hospital. 6 or more per minute is cause to treat if they are pre-ventricular contractions, but without an EKG-- you won't know the source. Generally, they are benign, but definitely something to look into and make sure they aren't from a heart problem.

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:33 AM

My tachycardia was related to my ferritin being so low. I have since gotten it up some that now it is not so bothersome. I still get it occasionally. Last bout was due to too much thyroid meds since I was absorbing them better. My one med was lowered and symptoms went away.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hey, thanks everyone! Smart Water....I think that's the same brand someone else mentioned to me. I'm going to look for it. In the meantime, after I posted last night, I remember coconut water. I happened to see it once while shopping and was reading on the can about how it's supposedly the perfect natural sports drink, as it was so refreshing and loaded with electrolytes. I bought it to try, as I was doing a rather tough workout at the time. I didn't like it though, which was odd, because I'm crazy about anything coconut! So I never bought it again, but last night when I thought about it, my husband went and got me some. This was a different brand, and good. I hated to have to drink it though because I'm eating very low-carb...mostly lean meats and lots of veggies, and this stuff is very high-carb. :( But I thought, instead of drinking a whole "serving" at once, I'll divide it up into smaller servings, and drink it a few times a day. I drank about 6 oz. last night before bed and my heart didn't but me as much as the night before. Then I drank a few more oz. late this morning, and my gosh, it's much better! It's amazing! But really, if I can get the Smart Water (which should be low-carb, right?) I rather drink that.

I should know by Wed. exactly what's going on, when the tests come back.

#7 Mari

Mari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

"I've seen posts here re. things like tachycardia that was caused by gluten, and I must say that my mild tachycardia has improved quite a bit since going g.f. back in March. But starting about a month before that, about early Feb. I think, I noticed that my heart would sometimes skip a beat."

Years ago I would have times when my hear seemed to be pounding and it felt like it was skipping beats and with an uneven rythem. I have a mitral valve stenosis (heart murmur) and thought it was related to that so had ekgs done which were completely normal. The murmur is so mild it does not give me any problems but the apparent skipping beats and pounding turned out to be spasms in my small intestine and that was one of the problems which cleared up on the gluten-free diet. I still get some spasms but nothing like the strong symptoms I had earlier and would sometimes keep we awake all night. If this is the cause of your problem you may want to do some 'home remedies' to improve your digestive system and help your intestine heal from the celiac disease damage. Liver cleanses to get out gall stones may help, see my profile page for the book I use.
DQ6/DQ8
HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302
Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006

#8 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hulda Clark....I've heard of her. I'm going to check out that book, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: