6 replies to this topic

#1 purple

purple

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

My dd wants to buy a gluten free/vegan cook book. She is 18 and a beginner at cooking. What is your favorite, with fairly easy recipes? Thanks in advance! ;)

She made gluten-free/v pizza with BRM pizza crust mix, so I think she can tackle some recipes. And great looking cupcakes too, better than the ones I made <_< (I premixed the dry ingredients, then took them to her apt and she made them without any over the phone help!).
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

A few websites and books to look at:

Book of Yum

Wheatless & Meatless

Gluten-Free Vegan Family

And this is a site with great gluten-free recipes, as well as SOME vegan and vegetarian recipes (but she does also use meat and animal products from time to time) : Gluten Free Goddess

Books - I own Flying Apron's Gluten-free & Vegan Baking Book (uses honey in some recipes, so not true vegan) but it does have some good recipes. A few on my "To Buy" list are : The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes by Susan O'Brian, and The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen: Delicious and Nutritious Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Dishes by Donna Klein.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#3 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

A few websites and books to look at:

Book of Yum

Wheatless & Meatless

Gluten-Free Vegan Family

And this is a site with great gluten-free recipes, as well as SOME vegan and vegetarian recipes (but she does also use meat and animal products from time to time) : Gluten Free Goddess

Books - I own Flying Apron's Gluten-free & Vegan Baking Book (uses honey in some recipes, so not true vegan) but it does have some good recipes. A few on my "To Buy" list are : The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes by Susan O'Brian, and The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen: Delicious and Nutritious Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Dishes by Donna Klein.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks for your reply. We've tried lots of Karina's recipes...all good! She wants a cookbook rather than a website. Thanks for posting your book titles. We just sub agave nectar for the honey. She is looking at veganomicon (not sure if its gluten-free) but she wants other peoples opinions before she buys one. THANKS! I will pass them on to her.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#4 Heidi S.

Heidi S.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

I love Baby Cakes! It is gluten free and vegan. You can buy it at most bookstores. Unfortunately it is sweets not entrees but great baking!

Check it out

#5 MagpieWrites

MagpieWrites

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

One of the nice things about vegan cookbooks is they can be pretty easy (as far as non-baked items anyway) to sub out gluten containing items. Rice noodles trade in easy for "normal", make sure to use a gluten free soy sauce, use sweet rice flour to dredge tofu to panfry, and stay away from seitan etc. The How It All Vegan books (even as a meat eater, I go to these a LOT) and the Veginomicon are great. Not a straight 1 to 1 trade out, but if she want's to try these books they ARE tasty! (And have a pretty good grasp on the more "exotic" grains to start playing with as a gluten free cook.)

Just make sure she knows to read every label carefully and it because a pretty easy job to switch out some of the ingredients that need to be skipped with safer alternatives.
Diagnosed with celiac in the summer of 09 - after being sick since I was a teen with no answers. I miss "real" pasta - but its a fair trade off for getting my life BACK.

#6 kyknight

kyknight

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

hey guys I'm definitely a newbie to this stuff and need a little bit of help.  I'm trying to get more healthy in my life and my family's life but it's been tough.  I'm looking for a healthy or vegan cookbook and I found this site http://www.squidoo.c...y-new-cookbookand I think the practical paleo: a customized approach to health by diane sanfillipo is something that i'm really interested in after reading some reviews.  I was hoping some of you guys might have some experience with the book or suggestions for me.  any help would be great!

#7 karichelle

karichelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Happy Herbivore is simple, vegan, and the majority of the recipes are either gluten-free already or easily made gluten-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: