This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need A gluten-free Vegan Cookbook

purple

purple Community Regular

My dd wants to buy a gluten free/vegan cook book. She is 18 and a beginner at cooking. What is your favorite, with fairly easy recipes? Thanks in advance! ;)

She made gluten-free/v pizza with BRM pizza crust mix, so I think she can tackle some recipes. And great looking cupcakes too, better than the ones I made <_< (I premixed the dry ingredients, then took them to her apt and she made them without any over the phone help!).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MagpieWrites Rookie

A few websites and books to look at:

Open Original Shared Link

And this is a site with great gluten-free recipes, as well as SOME vegan and vegetarian recipes (but she does also use meat and animal products from time to time) : Open Original Shared Link

Books - I own Flying Apron's Gluten-free & Vegan Baking Book (uses honey in some recipes, so not true vegan) but it does have some good recipes. A few on my "To Buy" list are : The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes by Susan O'Brian, and The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen: Delicious and Nutritious Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Dishes by Donna Klein.

Hope this helps a little bit.

purple Community Regular

A few websites and books to look at:

And this is a site with great gluten-free recipes, as well as SOME vegan and vegetarian recipes (but she does also use meat and animal products from time to time) : Open Original Shared Link

Books - I own Flying Apron's Gluten-free & Vegan Baking Book (uses honey in some recipes, so not true vegan) but it does have some good recipes. A few on my "To Buy" list are : The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes by Susan O'Brian, and The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen: Delicious and Nutritious Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Dishes by Donna Klein.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks for your reply. We've tried lots of Karina's recipes...all good! She wants a cookbook rather than a website. Thanks for posting your book titles. We just sub agave nectar for the honey. She is looking at veganomicon (not sure if its gluten-free) but she wants other peoples opinions before she buys one. THANKS! I will pass them on to her.

Heidi S. Rookie

I love Baby Cakes! It is gluten free and vegan. You can buy it at most bookstores. Unfortunately it is sweets not entrees but great baking!

MagpieWrites Rookie

One of the nice things about vegan cookbooks is they can be pretty easy (as far as non-baked items anyway) to sub out gluten containing items. Rice noodles trade in easy for "normal", make sure to use a gluten free soy sauce, use sweet rice flour to dredge tofu to panfry, and stay away from seitan etc. The How It All Vegan books (even as a meat eater, I go to these a LOT) and the Veginomicon are great. Not a straight 1 to 1 trade out, but if she want's to try these books they ARE tasty! (And have a pretty good grasp on the more "exotic" grains to start playing with as a gluten free cook.)

Just make sure she knows to read every label carefully and it because a pretty easy job to switch out some of the ingredients that need to be skipped with safer alternatives.

• 3 years later...
kyknight Newbie

hey guys I'm definitely a newbie to this stuff and need a little bit of help.  I'm trying to get more healthy in my life and my family's life but it's been tough.  I'm looking for a healthy or vegan cookbook and I found this site Open Original Shared Linkand I think the practical paleo: a customized approach to health by diane sanfillipo is something that i'm really interested in after reading some reviews.  I was hoping some of you guys might have some experience with the book or suggestions for me.  any help would be great!

karichelle Newbie

Happy Herbivore is simple, vegan, and the majority of the recipes are either gluten-free already or easily made gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived