6 replies to this topic

#1 BranDono

BranDono

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

I really want to have my first child with my girlfriend, but she has diabetes and Celiac. I was wondering if anyone here was in the same situation and has had a health baby and mother. I really need to know the risks to her.
Any info or advice would help

thanks. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:32 AM

as long as she is careful about her diet, staying gluten free and watching her sugar, AND getting regular check ups by her Dr., then she should have a very good chance of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. She should talk with her Dr.s about this first and get their input, and I would think that they would give her the "go ahead" unless there are other complications.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:56 AM

People with celiac and diabetes have healthy children all the time. As long as she adheres to her diet then she should be fine. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 KayJay

KayJay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

Diabetes can be very serious during pregnancy so make sure you have a good doctor and they watch her closely. But I agree with the others she can have a healthy baby.
gluten-free since 2004!

#5 blueshift

blueshift

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:47 PM

I do NOT want to scare you or anything like that..but according to one list of symptoms I pulled off of one site spontaneous abortions is one of the listed symptoms and my niece has had 7 of them..

Take into consideration that the celiac disease gene is VERY dominant in my family. Most of us didn't find out until recently...
blueshift

from Chicago suburbs near O'Hare

#6 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:53 AM

the spontaneous abortions (or miscarriage) is really ONLY likely to happen if the celiac person is NOT adhering to the diet. I had two of them BEFORE I was diagnosed. I was on a gluten-free diet (initial self dx) when I conceived my daughter and stayed on it through the first trimester. It was only after the dangerous first trimester that I let my doctor talk me out of the diet. It took until my daughter was 3 for me to get an accurate dx.

Again. If she sticks to her diet AND her Dr.s are monitoring her closely, (with the diabetes) then she should have a normal pregnancy.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:48 PM

While the chance of a first degree relative of hers (say, her child) having celiac is 1 in 22 (according to Dr. Fasano's study last year), if she keeps her blood sugar in check and maintains a healthy gluten-free diet, she, and any potential child, should be fine. Of course, she may be considered in the "high-risk" category, and need closer physician monitoring, and should probably talk to her doctors before getting pregnant so she's prepared, medically, but those two conditions alone (if controlled) shouldn't stop her from having kids.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: