arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Kid #2... Should Non-cd Mom Be Gf Durring Pg?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:07 AM

My wife and I are planning a second child soon, since our first has celiac disease, should she go gluten-free before/durring preg/ breastfeeding? Is the next child likly to be celiac disease?

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:46 AM

The statistic would say your wife and baby to be have a 1 in 10 chance of celiac disease. YOu could try genetic testing with a genetic counselor for a more accurate statistic for your family situation. Your wife should really get tested to determine what kind of diet would be the best for her and the baby she is growing. (From your previous posts I didn't think she had been tested.) The baby would get antibodies from her and in breastmilk.
This is just my opinion. I have looked for more information on this topic and breastfeeding and haven't found very much.
Laura
Michigan

#3 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

Hmmm, I've been wondering along similar lines lately. I am celiac, ds (age 3) is untested but has been gluten-free for 2 yrs (long story), and dh is not celiac. I have been pondering raising all future children gluten-free til age 3 at least because 1-in case they have celiac, but also 2- little kids and food are messy messy messy and I feel better not having gluten all over the house and all over the kid, you know? Until they can be neat, and wash their hands and mouth and face, and dust off their clothes, I don't want them eating it, lol!

Just a thought,
Merika

#4 Satori

Satori

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

I assume your wife has been tested to make sure she doesn't have celiac disease? I would go gluten-free while pregnant and BF and it really does make meals easier when everyone is eating the same diet:) My plan is to have all future children DNA tested at birth and if they don't have the gene they get gluten-free diet at home, eat what they want when out. If they have the gene its gluten-free until there teens and rebel and start sneaking gluten (you know its going to happen) then test them. This is what other family members are planning as well since we have such a strong family history of it.
Me: 30
gluten-free since 2000 due to breastfeeding reactive child, found out 1 yr later when I tried eating wheat again I had the same problem and all my health issues came back! Happily went right back to gluten-free diet)
+ DNA test, multiple markers
osteopenia & severe dental damage from long term malnutrition

dd: 6
gluten-free since 4 months old due to severe gluten reactivity (diarrhea and cramps from mom eating gluten and getting it though breast milk)
+ DNA test
Never had a Twinkie and thinks fresh fruit is to die for!:)

dd: 5 months, awaiting DNA testing, mommy got glutened and I got diarrhea!

12 family members with celiac (mix of biopsy dx's and known reactivity to gluten)

#5 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 09:21 AM

I assume your wife has been tested to make sure she doesn't have celiac disease? I would go gluten-free while pregnant and BF and it really does make meals easier when everyone is eating the same diet:) My plan is to have all future children DNA tested at birth and if they don't have the gene they get gluten-free diet at home, eat what they want when out. If they have the gene its gluten-free until there teens and rebel and start sneaking gluten (you know its going to happen) then test them. This is what other family members are planning as well since we have such a strong family history of it.

She is schedualed to be tested next week...

- Vincent -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: