Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

No Visable Damage On Endoscopy

3 posts in this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac as a child. Both my children have had tummy problems, my son (8) suffers with constipation, very short and underweight and my daughter (14 months) with chronic diarrhoea since being weaned, although not underweight. They both had blood tests done which shown negative for celiac antibodies. My paediatrician wanted to still perform an endoscopy on them to rule out celiac as false blood tests are common. After the procedures were performed the paediatrician told me he couldn

Ads by Google:

I have no personal experience here, but for the damage to be visible to the eye it must be quite advanced.

My brother had no visible damage, but the biopsy reported pretty extensive damage.

However...

According to my doc (most of his patients are celiac disease folks), children's intestinal damage can be very 'patchy.' Not consistent throughout, like most adults are. So it's very easy to miss the damage, even with a biopsy.

Second thing: if you have celiac disease? Good chance the kids have the genes. Even if they DON'T have the disease now, the only way to absolutely ensure that they don't GET it later, is to keep them gluten free. They don't have gluten, the disease doesn't trigger, is what I understand. So having them off gluten would likely be a good idea no matter the results, eh?

I was diagnosed with celiac as a child. Both my children have had tummy problems, my son (8) suffers with constipation, very short and underweight and my daughter (14 months) with chronic diarrhoea since being weaned, although not underweight. They both had blood tests done which shown negative for celiac antibodies. My paediatrician wanted to still perform an endoscopy on them to rule out celiac as false blood tests are common. After the procedures were performed the paediatrician told me he couldn