2 replies to this topic

#1 kquigley

kquigley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

I was diagnosed with celiac as a child. Both my children have had tummy problems, my son (8) suffers with constipation, very short and underweight and my daughter (14 months) with chronic diarrhoea since being weaned, although not underweight. They both had blood tests done which shown negative for celiac antibodies. My paediatrician wanted to still perform an endoscopy on them to rule out celiac as false blood tests are common. After the procedures were performed the paediatrician told me he couldn’t see visible signs of celiac but he took biopsies so will know the results in 2 weeks time. They did see my son had H Pylori infection and my daughter had reflux.

Has anyone else experienced that there was no visible damage on the endoscopy but the biopsy results came back positive?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:42 AM

I have no personal experience here, but for the damage to be visible to the eye it must be quite advanced.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:16 AM

My brother had no visible damage, but the biopsy reported pretty extensive damage.

However...

According to my doc (most of his patients are celiac disease folks), children's intestinal damage can be very 'patchy.' Not consistent throughout, like most adults are. So it's very easy to miss the damage, even with a biopsy.

Second thing: if you have celiac disease? Good chance the kids have the genes. Even if they DON'T have the disease now, the only way to absolutely ensure that they don't GET it later, is to keep them gluten free. They don't have gluten, the disease doesn't trigger, is what I understand. So having them off gluten would likely be a good idea no matter the results, eh?

I was diagnosed with celiac as a child. Both my children have had tummy problems, my son (8) suffers with constipation, very short and underweight and my daughter (14 months) with chronic diarrhoea since being weaned, although not underweight. They both had blood tests done which shown negative for celiac antibodies. My paediatrician wanted to still perform an endoscopy on them to rule out celiac as false blood tests are common. After the procedures were performed the paediatrician told me he couldn’t see visible signs of celiac but he took biopsies so will know the results in 2 weeks time. They did see my son had H Pylori infection and my daughter had reflux.

Has anyone else experienced that there was no visible damage on the endoscopy but the biopsy results came back positive?

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: