7 replies to this topic

#1 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:42 AM

Well, wasn't sure where to put this funny story...

Over the weekend I was at Walmart (getting some new gluten-free face lotions), and I happened to share the lotion isle with this other woman. I could tell she was the kind that liked to talk to strangers, and my husband was impatiently waiting nearby for me, but I decided to respond to her anyway. We got into a conversation and she asked me why I was switching face lotions. I told her I had just been diagnosed with something and she asked if I had candida. I said no and explained Celiac to her. She was immediately fascinated--and went on to tell me her the mysterious symptoms she had had for years: chronic constipation (like me), bloated stomach, weight loss, anemia, osteopenia, tiredness and unable to eat gluten for some reason (her naturopath told her). I told she sounded like a Celiac to me ! She was grateful, took down the name and some websites and went home to check it out that night. Isn't that funny? You never know where you might end up talking about bm's, and with with whom !! :P
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

:D Jen

We've got to get the word out about Celiac's, even if it's one person at a time in Wal-Mart :P

#3 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:45 AM

True that Stacie :D
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:08 AM

That's great...one more informed person who won't go :blink: when celiac is mentioned again :D
Who knows if she turns out to be a celiac then she is one more person demanding gluten free food..and the more people we have doing that, the more choices they will put out for us :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:44 AM

You GO GIRL!! That is awesome... :)

My sister's new co-worker has celiac, and she is going to e-mail me to get info, etc.
Doesn't it feel great when you know you can help someone through the landmines in life??!!?? :D

#6 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:29 AM

It does feel good... I keep thinking if 1 in 133 people have Celiac, I must know several others ! Hmmmm....which one of my friends is having issues... ;)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#7 cdford

cdford

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:00 AM

I do that! If an opportunity opens up, I just share my experience with them. I figure that if I can educate them a little then they can decide if it is worth getting the testing done. Most have never heard of it and are fascinated that their myriad of oddball symptoms actually all fit one thing. It has changed a few lives along the way. It is how I first heard about it, and look where we are now. There are also four now diagnosed positively in our church.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#8 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:47 AM

That's cool Donna. I only have one local friend with Celiac. Hmmm, we have 5,000 attenders at my church (yeah, its pretty big...), so that would mean, let me get out my calculator...hmmm... that there should be about 38 other Celiacs ! We could start our own support group! That would definitely be motion enough to get some gluten-free bread for communion! Funny to think about :rolleyes:
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: