#1 Smithk6

Smithk6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

I thought Advil was on safe list but now I am confused..... I called the company but they are closed till tomorrow. The website didnt say either way.

What does everyone take for headaches???

I was taking regular Advil prior with no problems. Then last week I had a couple days with pain and I irresponsibly took TopCare Generic Ibuprofen and I have been sick for a week with nausea. Could be that or could be that I ate out twice (although chefs assured me gluten free).

Any thoughts?

As always, much appreciated
Kathleen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 butterfl8

butterfl8

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

Name brand Advil is safe. I've been okay with the Kroger brand generic ibuprofen too, but I'm not even brave enough to try anything else.
-Daisy
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

#3 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Yes, stick with the name brand. Doctors and pharmacists are always so quick to point out that the active ingredient in generics is the same. The problem for us celiacs is generally not the active ingredient but all of the inactive ingredients which can be very different from brand to brand. With store brands, you often have to call to see if any of the inactive ingredients are sourced from wheat/rye/barely/oats and they usually need a specific lot number from the bottle to research that bottle. So, then you really only know for that bottle/lot. I have found it easier to stick with name brands that claim to be gluten free. Generics are often outsourced and quite a bit more can change from batch to batch. I recently read Poorly Made in China and it changed the way I view store brands.

#4 Smithk6

Smithk6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:50 AM

Thanks! I have a call into the Generic (just b/c I am curious and kinda of hoping thats what made me sick so I can specifically link it to something).
Kathleen

#5 NE Mom

NE Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

I've had problems with both Walmart and Sam's brand generics. Both companies assured me that they were safe but after a week on generic Ibuprofen with tummy problems, extreme fatigue and depression-I've ditched the generics!!

#6 MartialArtist

MartialArtist

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Ack! How is it that I understood enough to ask my pharmacist about my prescription drugs and I checked my toothpaste and shampoo and lotions but it never even OCCURRED to me that I needed to wonder about plain ol' pain relievers??!!
Gluten-free: April 8, 2010
Endoscopy: Severe villous atrophy
Celiac Panel: all 4 positive test results
Symptoms: few to no digestive; unexplained anemia and chronic mouth ulcers
Reluctantly accepting this new reality; aggressively pursuing information and new recipes!!

#7 LynnJ

LynnJ

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

My gastroenterologist has advised me against using any products containing Ibuprofen, including name brand Advil, because it is hard on the stomach and can exacerbate the issues I have because of Celiac Disease. I had tried Tylenol, and other acetaminophen based products, and because they did not work as well as Advil on my headaches, I went back to Advil. I'm not sure if that is a direct result or not, but this past week I had an EGD and a biopsy of my stomach, and it revealed that I have gastric ulcers, hiatal hernia, esophagitis, and villous blunting.

Needless to say, I switching back to Tylenol.
51 year old female prayerfully striving to be healthy!
  • Diagnosed Celiac 1964
  • Misdiagnosed non-Celiac 1980
  • Rediagnosed Celiac 2007
  • Gluten free since 2008 (a few mishaps)
Other long-term maladies include restless legs syndrome, arthritis, migraines, and depression.
Recently Diagnosed hypothyroidism, small hiatal hernia, gastric ulcers, reflux esophagitis, and duodenal villi blunting

#8 swimmer2012

swimmer2012

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I thought Advil was on safe list but now I am confused..... I called the company but they are closed till tomorrow. The website didnt say either way.

Not ALL Advil products are gluten-free.

Question: I am allergic to gluten. Is it all right for me to take this product?

Answer: AdvilŪ Liqui-GelsŪ, AdvilŪ Migraine and AdvilŪ PM Liqui-GelsŪ all contain a wheat derivative, and are not gluten-free. You should check with your doctor if you have any concerns about taking this product.

http://www.advil.com/faqs

I would know, I popped 4 this afternoon and am feeling it.

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

The box of "Top Care" Ibuprofen tablets 200 mg says "gluten free" on the box, and lists cornstarch as the 2nd filler (inactive) ingredient. The bottle itself, of the one I have, does not list the ingredients and says look at the box for them. Which is why I keep it in the opened box.

I was going to say don't assume in the Advil name brand all products are gluten free, either, but somebody beat me to it.

the original post was made in May, 2010. It is now March of 2012, nearly two years later. Manufacturers change ingredients all the time. You must check your labels. Don't assume anything.

#10 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Advil is not gluten free! The target brand says gluten free on the bottle and I have called to confirm about no CC. Same wIth many of the Walgreens medications but you would have to call on their ibuprofen, not sure.

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Advil is not gluten free! The target brand says gluten free on the bottle and I have called to confirm about no CC. Same wIth many of the Walgreens medications but you would have to call on their ibuprofen, not sure.

As noted in the following, three specific Advil formulas contain gluten. The others are gluten-free. The post below is old, but I just checked the website and the information is current.

Not ALL Advil products are gluten-free.

Question: I am allergic to gluten. Is it all right for me to take this product?
Answer: Advil® Liqui-Gels®, Advil® Migraine and Advil® PM Liqui-Gels® all contain a wheat derivative, and are not gluten-free. You should check with your doctor if you have any concerns about taking this product.

http://www.advil.com/faqs

I would know, I popped 4 this afternoon and am feeling it.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

I had a strange reaction when taking Advil for back pain. Rash all over, stopped taking it and just take Tylenol and I seem to be ok.

#13 hpfan2016

hpfan2016

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Kirkland brand (found in Costco) ibuprofen is labeled as gluten-free, in case anyone was wondering. I checked today out of curiosity. I've never reacted to it, and I'm extremely sensitive to gluten.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: