This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coffee? Are You Kidding Me?

conniebky

conniebky Collaborator

Hi all -

I started my gluten free diet on Tuesday. I swear I already feel a bit better. I'm at work and just had a cup of black coffee with sugar in it. I got feeling all weird so I know I had a reaction to it, but why can I drink my coffee at home with milk and sugar and have no reaction?

Surely there's not gluten in different brands of coffee and/or sugar!

Does that make sense to you all?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

During the early phase of the diet, your body can and will react to many things, even though they do not contain any gluten. The healing process takes time.

sandiz Apprentice

I found that I can't take the white refined sugar. Found raw sugar is the best for me, even take my own sugar to work.

kareng Grand Master

I always found that I need a little milk or soy milk in coffee or eat something with it. It can be hard on your stomach/gut.

AlysounRI Contributor

I've given up on coffee now. I always loved the taste but hate what it does to my stomach.

It always made me very upset because of the acidity.

Now that I am, for the most part, off milk, I am drinking indian spice tea with a little honey and a little almond milk.

Coffee is rough on your stomach!!

Cola is too.

I could never do either.

Perhaps, if you can, you can switch to herbal tea or mate (am I spelling that right?) tea, which is considered by some to be a coffee substitute?

Gemini Experienced

Hi all -

I started my gluten free diet on Tuesday. I swear I already feel a bit better. I'm at work and just had a cup of black coffee with sugar in it. I got feeling all weird so I know I had a reaction to it, but why can I drink my coffee at home with milk and sugar and have no reaction?

Surely there's not gluten in different brands of coffee and/or sugar!

Does that make sense to you all?

Seeing as you drink coffee at home and have no problem, I see no reason to stop drinking coffee. I never had any problems with coffee and didn't stop drinking it even after first diagnosed....and my stomach was pretty well trashed.

Was the coffee you had at work flavored coffee? Some flavored coffee may contain gluten but some don't. Do you usually drink it black? If not, use the milk or cream, like you do at home, and see what happens.

It is entirely normal to feel better after only a couple of days gluten-free. You are not imagining things! I was at death's door when diagnosed (literally), yet 3 days later, the diarrhea completely stopped and my stomach had calmed to the point where I could eat food again. In just 3 short days...amazing! Good luck to you!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I would get a thermos and bring coffee in from home. I do volunteer work and the coffee pot and everyone's daily plate of coffee cake or cookies is right there with the cups, spoons etc. I only drank that coffee once, now I bring in my own. The CC issues were just too much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

When you first go gluten free your body goes a bit wonky as it's healing. I had to cut out a whole bunch of foods- nightshades, soy, dairy, coffee, xanthan gum, tapioca. For awhile EVERYTHING I ate made me sick and I was scared that I was intolerant of a whole bunch of things.

I just went to a simple whole foods clean diet and let my body heal. I'm 4 months gluten free and have healed quite a lot, not 100% yet but definitely way way better.

I still have to be careful with dairy and not have too much. I can't have soy flour but soy lecithin and a little soy sauce are okay. All the others are fine except I haven't challenged tapioca yet, but I plan to challenge it soon.

Maybe for your caffeine switch to black tea for awhile if you find that coffee starts bothering you.

conniebky Collaborator

Thank you all so much for your responses. I drink Folgers Vanilla coffee at home. I figured out about a week ago that the generic creamer I was putting in it was making me sick, so I switched to milk.

I live in Kentucky and I buy real cow's milk from un-drugged cows. It's pasteurized but not homogenized. I bet I spelled both of those words wrong LOL :P

Yeah, I'm going to get a thermos and bring my own coffee from home. Maybe industrial coffee and sugar are different from what we buy at the store. Boy, that feeling came over me and I was like SO SAD! I was like leave me ALONE! But I am feeling better now and you all sure are sweet and smart. :)

Gemini Experienced
I live in Kentucky and I buy real cow's milk from un-drugged cows. It's pasteurized but not homogenized. I bet I spelled both of those words wrong LOL :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: The line about the un-drugged cows was priceless!

georgie Enthusiast

I was told some cheaper coffees have a wheat flour dusting to help the roast. You may want to check what brand of coffee it was and stay clear of it. I would also use my own coffee mug / spoon etc as I used to find the cc issues at work were horrendous.

I drink bottled water when not at home now.

AlysounRI Contributor

I was told some cheaper coffees have a wheat flour dusting to help the roast.

It's unbelievable what wheat flour ISN'T in you know!!

In a discussion with my Celiac/GI group concerning food labelling, I discovered that manufacturers will often

put wheat flour on candy wrappers to prevent them from sticking and among the candy itself to prevent it from

sticking together. Because the wheat is not IN the candy, they don't have to disclose it!!

My worst glutening since going gluten-free came from the "natural flavoring" in sausage. I was out of commission and in rough shape for 4 days from that one. :angry:

You just have to be really careful!!

I'll bet the people who make that cheap coffee don't have to declare that wheat either as it's not in the coffee bean itself. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I also LOVED the line about the un-drugged cows. Made me laugh!! Fantastic!!

~Allison

conniebky Collaborator

Those undrugged cows, you can tell the difference too! It's awful the things they do to cattle, when you drink a glass of milk God only knows what you're drinking. I didn't mean it funny when I posted it, but reading it back, it is a funny way to word it! :D

I don't understand it, but I cannot drink hot coffee at home or work, so I bought tea to replace my hot coffee at home and I had a reaction to that. But earlier in the day I had a sweet tea from Wendys and no reaction.

Also, I can drink Mountain Dew so I guess something about heating up the caffeine makes me react. Strange as that sounds. Man oh man oh man I miss my coffee. I'm not having a problem resisting anything else, but that coffee...that's giving me the undandys.

kareng Grand Master

Its not hot caffiene. Some people have a problem with brewed beverages like tea & coffee. Some types of tea might be OK for you. Maybe the sweet tea was instant or not as strong. I think I have always done better with "sun tea" iced tea but I think its not as strong. Having some now.

conniebky Collaborator

Hi. Is that just "set" tea? Where you put the tea bags in water and let it sit (set)? Kentucky has a whole other language, I do believe. LOL. But is that what you mean?

kareng Grand Master

Hi. Is that just "set" tea? Where you put the tea bags in water and let it sit (set)? Kentucky has a whole other language, I do believe. LOL. But is that what you mean?

Probably. If you "set" it in the sun, it brews faster then just sitting on the counter.

conniebky Collaborator

Probably. If you "set" it in the sun, it brews faster then just sitting on the counter.

I will try that. I just had a little nip of coffee at work, made me a little dizzy but not too bad. I will try your idea. I love tea, too. :)

• 1 month later...
gfreegirlie Rookie

I heard that there are problems with gluten in flavored coffee beans. I don't really understand how but that's what I read in gluten-free by Elisabeth Hasselback.

Gemini Experienced

I heard that there are problems with gluten in flavored coffee beans. I don't really understand how but that's what I read in gluten-free by Elisabeth Hasselback.

Elizabeth Hasslebeck is not a good source for gluten-free status in things. There are errors in her book. The Celiac Foundation or other more well connected sources of information should be used.

There are gluten-free flavored coffee's on the market...I think Green Mountain Coffee Roasters is one of them. I would suspect that the cheaper the coffee, the more likely a gluten containing component might be found.

kareng Grand Master

My hub used this "info" to get the coffeepot he has been wanting. One that grinds beans and then brews. Figured we weren't going to monitor every ingredient of every coffee bean ground in the machine at the grocery. Sometimes, good comes from this gluten-free nonsense. :)

Rworthy Newbie

I've given up on coffee now. I always loved the taste but hate what it does to my stomach.

It always made me very upset because of the acidity.

Now that I am, for the most part, off milk, I am drinking indian spice tea with a little honey and a little almond milk.

Coffee is rough on your stomach!!

Cola is too.

I could never do either.

Perhaps, if you can, you can switch to herbal tea or mate (am I spelling that right?) tea, which is considered by some to be a coffee substitute?

What's the deal with gluten and coffee? Every time I drink coffee I puke. What's the connection?

Skylark Collaborator

The flavored beans can have gluten, and just about anything can be cross-contaminated to where super sensitive folks will react. If you're grinding the coffee yourself and you know the beans and creamer are gluten-free then you are simply sensitive to coffee. It's not exactly stomach-friendly stuff.

Rworthy Newbie

The flavored beans can have gluten, and just about anything can be cross-contaminated to where super sensitive folks will react. If you're grinding the coffee yourself and you know the beans and creamer are gluten-free then you are simply sensitive to coffee. It's not exactly stomach-friendly stuff.

Weird. I have drank it religiously for the past 2 years. Sometimes I would get sick, but now it's out of control. I'm buying the regular stuff already ground, and brewing it at home. I think being gluten free or having so much gluten residue must be making it worse. I never used to vomit after drinking coffee, now it's every time.

Skylark Collaborator

If it went through a grinder with a gluten-containing flavored coffee maybe it is CC'd. Peet's says all their coffees are gluten-free. Maybe try some Peet's to avoid the confusion of cross-contamination from the grinders. (It's good coffee too!)

A lot of people seem to react more strongly to small amount of gluten CC after being gluten-free for a while. I know I do.

Archived