4 replies to this topic

#1 lindalee

lindalee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Several months ago, my bedroom had a severe leak due to having an improper roof. I live in a condo and they are going to send a contractor over Monday to take my ceiling down, remove damaged insulation, treat for moisture and put new ceiling and plaster up then paint.

I'm stressed over the delay in repairs, I have a hole in my ceiling with plastic covering it and a board nailed up there to hold ceiling up. The roof has been repaired. They sent one qualified person over but I assume their estimate was too much as they are not using them.

Monday a contractor is coming over to start the work.

Has anyone been thru something like this? Did it cause any issues?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Lee

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Be certain to not let them use pre mixed plaster if they are going to have to sand it afterward. The pre mix invariably has starch in it which is usually gluten! The dust goes everywhere and his hard to get rid of! Breathing it in is not good I have discovered through experience...

Fortunately the old fashioned plaster of paris is usually safe. Sometimes it has corn in it--though even there its good to check on it to make sure. Alaternatly, you can have them spray the ceiling with texture that they don't have to sand...

I know--I am in charge of repairs for 10 rentals...

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#3 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:37 AM

Be certain to not let them use pre mixed plaster if they are going to have to sand it afterward. The pre mix invariably has starch in it which is usually gluten! The dust goes everywhere and his hard to get rid of! Breathing it in is not good I have discovered through experience...

Fortunately the old fashioned plaster of paris is usually safe. Sometimes it has corn in it--though even there its good to check on it to make sure. Alaternatly, you can have them spray the ceiling with texture that they don't have to sand...

I know--I am in charge of repairs for 10 rentals...

Bea

Lee

#4 lindalee

lindalee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:50 AM

Thank you, Yolo!

Do you recommend a certain brand I could ask him to get?

The sprayed ceiling (popcorn-we call it) it not desirable here. Is that what you are referring to?

I am quite concerned about the dust and containment issues.

Lee
Lee

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

OMG, OMG, OMG. You just explained my awful asthma attacks after repairing and repainting my kitchen walls! I couldn't figure out why the particular paint I was using was making me so sick when paint is usually fine with good ventilation.

Bah. Nevermind. I just checked and this particular brand has no starch. Wonder if I'm allergic to something else in it though. I never though of the joint compound.

Edited by Skylark, 15 May 2010 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: