Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Recently Gone gluten-free But Getting Cramps, Pain...help!

• Please log in to reply

5 replies to this topic

#1 Tgowland

Tgowland

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

Read on here that gluten-free grains can be hard on the stomach when first new to gluten-free diet and I think that must be why I am in pain almost every night no matter what I eat - dairy made me throw up (could have been soy) and even a salad gave me stomach pain which starts as an uncomfortable intestine, then stomach pain.

Our son who just turns 4 was diag with a slight low tone issue and since a year ago we have been getting speech therapy and it has been great. Recently a woman with an autistc son I met suggested I remove gluten from our son's diet and what a difference! His speech has improved, his exzema (which was a fairly recent thing) is almost gone and his moods are a little better. No gastro issues and none for my husband who was told years ago my a cranial sacral therapist that he was likely gluten intolerant.

Of course we have splurged on gluten-free packaged goods and since we eat a lot of read and have found Udi's I am eating a lot of it, but as of until his week (we have been gluten-free free for about a month and only rcently have I been more adamant for myself (I mistakenly thought I was the one who was the healthiest and could still eat gluten if I wanted to!) I have been fine. This week for 4/5 nights I have gotten intestinal cramps and stomach pain intermittent for several hours and then it goes away. Some times I have diahhrea, some times like now I am constipated and each time it is at night. Today for instance I had Udi's bread and part of their lemon muffin and water with 2 eggs and no problems. Then later int he day I had just 2 soft boiled eggs (thinking it would be easy to digest) and within 30 minutes I got cramping and pain. Previous times I had dairy and actually threw up from the dairy...

I am rambling now but what can I eat where my guts won't b so messed up? Someone had said bananas, applesauce, rice and something else for 4-6 mths until mh intestines heal -anything else I can eat? I am overweight due to a thyroid issue and some past almost starvation months, although I take thyroxine. Other huge issue is that I need to get enough protein or I feel crappy so I have a non denatured whey protein - haven't had it latly so I am worried how my body will take it...

Lastly I have a huge issue not eating - my body hangs onto my fat stores and nt let them go so I am malnourished although I am overweight. It is an emotional, self-care issue and I am seeing a therapist who is helping me with that and childhood abuse issues. Other supplements I take for anxiety inlcude B vitamins and a tiny dose of lithium.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tara
Newly gluten-free and maybe allergic to dairy...trying to make sense of my intense intestinal pain..

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Apache

Apache

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

I'm somewhat new to all this, but you need to get some gastro health testing done. Look up Enterolab and check out the Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis as well is the complete food sensetivity test. You'll have an easier time treating yourself if you know what you are treating.

#3 Tgowland

Tgowland

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

I'm somewhat new to all this, but you need to get some gastro health testing done. Look up Enterolab and check out the Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis as well is the complete food sensetivity test. You'll have an easier time treating yourself if you know what you are treating.

thanks Apache- great advice...so an update - went to Multicare and they gave me some vicodin for my extreme nightime pain and took stool, blood and urine testing - sice stool takes a few days I was hoping it was a parasite until I heard back today that it isn't. So backtrack - the niht I went to Multicare, I was avoiding dairy and of course gluten and still starts getting pain - so I took a vicodin (what Multicare prescribed) and slept better than I had in days. Next day felt good and no issues - that night hubby gave
me a tiny bit of sour cream and I had 2 spoonful of yogurt with my son and zero problems at all - slept great in fact. Next day I eat no gluten or dairy until nighttime - my hubby took our son for ice cream and I
had a little - no immediate issues so later last night I thought "must not be dairy" and I had cereal and milk. 3 hours later in the night - whammo again! Pain so intense I couldn't breathe and so had to take
vicodin again...

Multicare called today to say no parasites so hey want me to go to a GI....in the meantime I am worrid about getting enough protein and without t hurting my stomach - any suggestions? I am str
Newly gluten-free and maybe allergic to dairy...trying to make sense of my intense intestinal pain..

#4 Tgowland

Tgowland

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

Sorry - not sure what happened there! I need a good source of easy to digest protein - worried about eggs as well. Suggestions? Also, another question - do our digestive systems work a lot at night? Wonder why all my pain is at night..

#5 Tgowland

Tgowland

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

Popping back in to see if anyone else can help?

Sorry - not sure what happened there! I need a good source of easy to digest protein - worried about eggs as well. Suggestions? Also, another question - do our digestive systems work a lot at night? Wonder why all my pain is at night..

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Sour cream and yogurt have little lactose, the sugar in milk. Milk and ice cream have a lot of lactose. You may be lactose intolerant.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: