This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Symptoms... And I'm Too Sad (Graphic!)

luvs2eat

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've been gluten free for about 9 years, w/ few problems. I've completely embraced cooking differently and, while it's sometimes challenging, it's been a positive adventure!

Suddenly in the last few months, I've developed a new symptom! When I get up in the morning... I'm talking when my feet HIT the floor, I'm off to the bathroom to completely evacuate my bowels... always liquid, explosive, w/ lots of gas. Sometimes while I'm going to sleep and always in the morning before I get up, I can HEAR the storm in my lower intestines.

Last night, I think I hit upon the cause and I can't even wrap my head around it. I've been dieting, having recognized that I'm a total carb addict. I've been eating mostly lean meats, veggies, fruits, and very limited carbs, in the forms of occasional brown rice and limited bread or pasta to once or twice a week.

Last night was "cheat night." I decide during the day if I'll have my fave... homemade mac and cheese... or pizza (using Namaste crust mix). I made an awesome mac and cheese w/ really good cheeses and it was delicious! About 2 hours later, my bowels were evacuating... w/ liquid BMs and tons of frothy gas!!

From your experience... it's the dairy, isn't it?

Ugh... I don't want to think about it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Does this happen first thing in the morning even on a day when you don't eat dairy?

luvs2eat Collaborator

Does this happen first thing in the morning even on a day when you don't eat dairy?

I eat dairy every day... milk in my coffee, salad dressing on the big dinner salad I have for supper often, etc. But the mac and cheese last night was ALL milk and cheese... more dairy in one meal that I normally eat.

I planned to try rice milk and make vinegarettes ... and to cut out dairy for several months.

jerseyangel Proficient

I asked because watery explosive diarrhea, in the morning especially, can be a symptom of microscopic colitis.

Could also be a dairy sensitivity showing up since you recently changed your diet :)

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'll read up on microscopic colitis... and mention it to my doc when I see her next month. Thanks for any and all input!!

Jestgar Rising Star

try avoiding all dairy for a week and see what happens.

gary'sgirl Explorer

You probably know this already, but if it does happen to be the protein in dairy it could take over six weeks to see any results. Dairy can take six weeks to clear out of your system. So a couple of weeks might not be enough to give you accurate results.

I hope you figure out what is wrong and start feeling better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

grainfree Newbie

I've been gluten free for about 9 years, w/ few problems. I've completely embraced cooking differently and, while it's sometimes challenging, it's been a positive adventure!

Suddenly in the last few months, I've developed a new symptom! When I get up in the morning... I'm talking when my feet HIT the floor, I'm off to the bathroom to completely evacuate my bowels... always liquid, explosive, w/ lots of gas. Sometimes while I'm going to sleep and always in the morning before I get up, I can HEAR the storm in my lower intestines.

Last night, I think I hit upon the cause and I can't even wrap my head around it. I've been dieting, having recognized that I'm a total carb addict. I've been eating mostly lean meats, veggies, fruits, and very limited carbs, in the forms of occasional brown rice and limited bread or pasta to once or twice a week.

Last night was "cheat night." I decide during the day if I'll have my fave... homemade mac and cheese... or pizza (using Namaste crust mix). I made an awesome mac and cheese w/ really good cheeses and it was delicious! About 2 hours later, my bowels were evacuating... w/ liquid BMs and tons of frothy gas!!

From your experience... it's the dairy, isn't it?

Ugh... I don't want to think about it!!

When I eliminated dairy from my diet I was constipated for three days (after having the runs continuously). I have been following the Paleo Diet for two weeks now (with two to three open meals a week): I lost five pounds in the first week, and probably a few more this week judging by how my clothes fit. For the first time in many many years my thyroid medication dose has decreased and I am hoping this is because it is finally being absorbed by a healing intestine after a gluten-free diet.

I agree with the previous posters' suggestions. For me, eliminating dairy definitely had an effect (positive!) Hope this post helps, and I hope you feel much better!

Archived