10 replies to this topic

#1 The Glutenator

The Glutenator

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:43 AM

I have been avoiding sushi since my celiac diagnosis because I heard they put rice vinegar in the rice, and that the rice vinegar can sometimes contain gluten. It seems on these forums, however, that sushi is safe to eat as long as there is not crab, tempura, or other gluten ingredients in the rolls. Can you please offer your advice? I love sushi and it would be a good food to eat out with friends!
Fighting celiac one gluten-free bite at a time

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 masterjen

masterjen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:47 AM

I don't want to take the wind out of your sails regarding eating something you really enjoy, but here is my view. I also love Sushi, and I also desperately miss some of the foods I used to have that are gluten-free, but prepared at a non-gluten-free facility or restaurant. I know most servers/cooks/chefs have good intentions, but unless you really know the importance of being gluten-free (and the potential impact of not being gluten-free), there is too high a risk of cc. Think of the sushi chef's preparation area and the number of other rolls he has prepared on that sushi board, or rolled in that bamboo mat, or cut with that sushi knife, or touched with those hands. He may think that 'there is no gluten-containing substance in the roll, and all I did was touch the other roll to put in on a plate before making this gluten-free one. It can't be that big a deal!' Even that unsuspecting server whose hands handled a customer's tea cup (which has a bit of dried sticky "sushi finger prints" on it), who's hands had just been on a tempura roll. And now that server had just used her fingers to stop your roll from almost falling off the plate before serving it to you (and you didn't see this happen).

I could go on, as I'm sure could most celiac victims minds. Maybe I am overly paranoid because I am relatively new to all this (now 3 months on gluten-free diet). As has been stated in other posts, we all have to choose our level of comfort (and the degree of our reaction when we do consume gluten) when it comes to risk-taking, and for me I'd rather give up certain foods and eating food out than risk making my situation worse. Perhaps when I finally start to feel better I will change my view, but I doubt it. When I go out with friends, I will buy a drink, such as juice, that comes in a can or bottle, and bring my own food or eat before-hand.
Life throws us curve-balls sometimes, but if we didn't have challenges we would become too complacent and forget to respect the value of life itself.

#3 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

I've not had a problem with sushi as long as I avoid things with sauces (like eel), tempura breading, and imitation seafoods, or things that might be flavored with soy like egg nigiri. If in doubt I avoid it, which means I end up ordering only things like veggie rolls or simple fish rolls/nigiri (and man, I wish the eel wasn't always sauced because that was my favorite pre-gluten-free). I bring my own wheat-free soy sauce as well. But like the above poster said, each of us has to determine his or her own comfort level. I enjoy eating out once in a while, and sushi is one of the few things I don't make at home so I'm willing to take a bit of risk. So far it's paid off in my favor. If you can go to a small place at an off time and talk to the waitstaff and/or chef to explain your needs and ask about ingredients, your chances of having a safe meal are much greater.

#4 AlysounRI

AlysounRI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

I've not had a problem with sushi as long as I avoid things with sauces (like eel), tempura breading, and imitation seafoods, or things that might be flavored with soy like egg nigiri. If in doubt I avoid it, which means I end up ordering only things like veggie rolls or simple fish rolls/nigiri (and man, I wish the eel wasn't always sauced because that was my favorite pre-gluten-free). I bring my own wheat-free soy sauce as well. But like the above poster said, each of us has to determine his or her own comfort level. I enjoy eating out once in a while, and sushi is one of the few things I don't make at home so I'm willing to take a bit of risk. So far it's paid off in my favor. If you can go to a small place at an off time and talk to the waitstaff and/or chef to explain your needs and ask about ingredients, your chances of having a safe meal are much greater.

Eeel is my favorite too.
You CAN ask your server to make a fresh batch of eel without the sauce.
It's been done for me before.
And it's all been okay :)

That being said, I rarely eat out and when I do it's usually Indian because I know it's completely safe except for the breads (unless it's the lentil and rice dosas)

~Allison
Long history of IBS, and stomach/intestinal problems. Low on iron for all of my life.
Low on energy, with aches and pains in my joints and in my whole body for as long as I can remember.
Mostly lactose intolerant for all of my life (except for yoghurt)
Diagnosed in 2003 by naturapath as wheat intolerant. Tried it then fell of the wagon. In Feb. 2010 tried going gluten-free.
Went back to the poison in March, 2010.
Tested negative for celiac in April, 2010 (based on negative biopsy and normal tTG test). IgA tested 30-40 percent higher than normal.
Not going to fight the diagnosis because I refuse to go back to the poison. Happily gluten-free for health reasons as of April 2010, and not looking back.

#5 The Glutenator

The Glutenator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for you advice. I am only 3 months in too and have already had some cc side effects that have made me a bit paranoid and over-cautious. That being said, I don't want celiac to control my life, so sushi does seem like a good eating out option as long as we are careful. My goal is to be as safe as possible, but at 25 years old I still want to go out with friends and enjoy a bite. So thank you!
Fighting celiac one gluten-free bite at a time

#6 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

I'm just curious about the answer to the original question - is rice vinegar in sushi safe? Or do you ask every time which vinegar they use and check the label? The rice vinegars I've seen in shops were all flavored, not pure. :(

#7 i-geek

i-geek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

I'm just curious about the answer to the original question - is rice vinegar in sushi safe? Or do you ask every time which vinegar they use and check the label? The rice vinegars I've seen in shops were all flavored, not pure. :(

I just did a quick Google search and apparently this topic has come up before: http://www.celiac.co...9-rice-vinegar/

#8 WheatChef

WheatChef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

Rice vinegar itself is safe. Any sort of flavored rice vinegar is well, flavored. Do you know the specific flavoring they used?
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

Find a sushi place you trust, and rely on it. Sushi is a safe go-out food for me, because we have a place we know and like. If you stick with the better restaurants, that specialize in sushi, you shouldn't have contamination issues, because, afaik, no GOOD sushi chef, worth the cost of their knife, is going to use contaminated cutting boards for different rolls. But, maybe I've only watched the sushi-snob sushi chefs. ;)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 Nor_TX

Nor_TX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Sushi and sashimi are the types of restaurants I love to go to because I am so safe eating there. I have not yet had any problems. I pretty much stay to the sashimi (just the raw fish or the sushi that has the raw fish over sticky rice). I can't eat the sesame seeds and the fake crab is a no no. My faves are salmon, red snapper, mackeral, tuna and the salmon roe.. Mmmmmm..

We have a restaurant here in North Dallas that has very yummy sushi and sashimi and all the regular chicken types of dishes that my husband loves. We are both satisfied!
Gluten Intolerance, Colitis, IBS, Lactose and Casein Intolerance, Gastro-Paresis, GERD, Arthritis. Taking Remicade and Asacol, 2 Prilosec/day among other meds. Officially a senior citizen! New knee is doing well.. now about that other knee...

Food is in my dreams and in my nightmares!

#11 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Seasoned rice vinegar or sushi vinegar is just a mix of rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. It saves a step when you're making sushi rice if you can find one with an amount of sugar and salt you like. No gluten.

I do great eating sushi, as long as I can convince them to leave the stupid fake crab meat out of my food! I've sent back rolls I ordered that were decorated with shreds of fake crab on top. I avoid unagi or other cooked things because of soy sauce and I recently learned here that roe that can be marinated with soy sauce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: