Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Risotto Brand?

13 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make my first Risotto dish at home from scratch. I went to my grocery store and go all confused. Mostly they had pre-made box kinds (no to that). I was looking for plain arborio rice. They had 3 kinds. One was Goya and said "May contain wheat, etc". Two of the other said nothing. Ingrediants: arborio rice. I didnt get any b/c I couldnt confirm

Does anyone have a brand that they use you could suggest??

thanks!

Ads by Google:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make my first Risotto dish at home from scratch. I went to my grocery store and go all confused. Mostly they had pre-made box kinds (no to that). I was looking for plain arborio rice. They had 3 kinds. One was Goya and said "May contain wheat, etc". Two of the other said nothing. Ingrediants: arborio rice. I didnt get any b/c I couldnt confirm

Does anyone have a brand that they use you could suggest??

thanks!

I contacted Rice Select (let me know if you would eat it or not):":::

Kathleen,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning our RiceSelect Arborio Rice. All of our

Personally, I wouldn't eat it. For one thing they don't say what type of test they use, so who knows how much gluten it has to have to be detected. Also they don't say how often they test. Do they test every batch or do they test once a month? Who knows?

That is just my thoughts though.

A little common sense here, please. It's just rice.

There probably isn't a packaged rice in the country that hasn't run across wheat somewhere along the way. Grain elevators, trucks, warehouses, and packaging lines are probably all shared with pastas and other grains. Do you think twice before you grab a bag of generic rice at the grocery store?

Pick through it for anything that isn't rice. Rinse it off to make sure there's nothing clinging to the grains. (All rices should be lightly rinsed before cooking, including Arborio.) Add your gluten-free broth and seasonings and go to town.

Edited to add: Do be careful of rices with seasonings and whatnot included. Make your risotto from scratch with any packaged arborio rice and go from there.

Edited by Skylark

If it is just white rice I don't worry about the brand I just make sure I rinse and 'pick' it if needed throughly before I use it. The brand of wild and brown rice I use is Lundberg and I have never had an issue with them, I don't think those would work with Risotto but that company may have a suitable rice that would work.

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone

Maybe this is cheating, but I just use Calrose rice when I make risotto. Turns out great, still a little bit of a bite.

Mmm... risotto...

I bought arborio rice at Trader Joe's for my risotto. It turned out great!!! :)

If it is just white rice I don't worry about the brand I just make sure I rinse and 'pick' it if needed throughly before I use it. The brand of wild and brown rice I use is Lundberg and I have never had an issue with them, I don't think those would work with Risotto but that company may have a suitable rice that would work.

Lundberg is a very gluten-free friendly company and markets directly to Celiacs. They make a line of pre-packaged risotto mixes, with sauces,that are gluten-free and delicious. The ones which are gluten-free are clearly marked, on the front of the box in big letters....can't miss it.

I have never felt remotely suspicious that they were contaminated after eating them.

Arborio rice should not be rinsed before cooking. It needs to be sauteed with oil before adding the water to finish cooking. I never rinse arbori rice and never have had a problem with becoming ill. Unless you are eating rice from a company which also makes rice mixes with wheat, like Rice a Roni, I wouldn't worry about eating rice.

I use Lundberg. It comes with the flavor pack but you don't HAVE to use it and sometimes I don't. Their risotto mixes are made in a dedicated facility.

I bought arborio rice at Trader Joe's for my risotto. It turned out great!!! :)

I have been sick as a dog this week after making a delicious risotto with TJ's arborio rice. It is on their gluten-free foods list (which is why I thought it was ok) but on the box it says "Made in a facility that processes wheat". Unfortunately I didn't read the box until after I ate it and started feeling horrible. Made me remember why I don't eat gluten that's for sure. Trader Joe's should not have this rice on their gluten-free list. Between that and all the ways they squeeze soy into their products I am finding myself loosing faith in my former favorite grocery store.

I use Lundberg. It comes with the flavor pack but you don't HAVE to use it and sometimes I don't. Their risotto mixes are made in a dedicated facility.

I know this is an old thread, but want to put my two cents in. I'm a new kid on the block. I love Lundberg rice. I made a big batch of Berreta arborio rice to bring to work, and head aches, itchiness and skids came back. I can eat Lundberg rice for days without any reaction at all. They make arborio and basmati rice and my local co-op sells it in 20# bags. Personally, I'm sensitive to stuff made in a facilities that process wheat. That's how we figured out I had gluten enteropathy. 

I know this is an old thread, but want to put my two cents in. I'm a new kid on the block. I love Lundberg rice. I made a big batch of Berreta arborio rice to bring to work, and head aches, itchiness and skids came back. I can eat Lundberg rice for days without any reaction at all. They make arborio and basmati rice and my local co-op sells it in 20# bags. Personally, I'm sensitive to stuff made in a facilities that process wheat. That's how we figured out I had gluten enteropathy. 

I just wanted to clarify something you said.  You were diagnosed with Celiac Sprue from eating Berreta Arborio Rice?  Do you mean you were diagnosed with Celiac through blood testing and biopsy and cannot "tolerate" that particular rice?

We don't want anyone who reads this in the future thinking that this is a way to diagnose something  ;)

Colleen