#1 Smithk6

Smithk6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make my first Risotto dish at home from scratch. I went to my grocery store and go all confused. Mostly they had pre-made box kinds (no to that). I was looking for plain arborio rice. They had 3 kinds. One was Goya and said "May contain wheat, etc". Two of the other said nothing. Ingrediants: arborio rice. I didnt get any b/c I couldnt confirm

Does anyone have a brand that they use you could suggest??

thanks!
Kathleen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Smithk6

Smithk6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to make my first Risotto dish at home from scratch. I went to my grocery store and go all confused. Mostly they had pre-made box kinds (no to that). I was looking for plain arborio rice. They had 3 kinds. One was Goya and said "May contain wheat, etc". Two of the other said nothing. Ingrediants: arborio rice. I didnt get any b/c I couldnt confirm

Does anyone have a brand that they use you could suggest??

thanks!

I contacted Rice Select (let me know if you would eat it or not):":::
Kathleen,
Thank you for your inquiry concerning our RiceSelect Arborio Rice. All of our “rice only” products, including Arborio, are naturally gluten free. We do not however run them on dedicated lines but we follow all USDA guidelines in handling and production line clean out. We also submit rice samples to an independent lab to test for gluten as well as other allergen contaminants. We began this protocol over three years ago with no positive test incidents.
Thanks again for contacting us. Should you have additional questions please feel free to contact us at 800.232.RICE.
Deborah Locke
Product Manager

RiceSelect Gluten-Free Products:
Texmati® White Rice
Texmati® Brown Rice
Texmati® Light Brown Rice
Jasmati® Rice
Kasmati® Rice
RiceSelect™ Sushi Rice
RiceSelect™ Arborio Rice
Orig. Royal® Blend
Royal Blend® w/Lentils
Royal Blend® w/Red Beans
Organic Texmati® White Rice
Organic Texmati® Brown Rice
Organic Texmati® Light Brown Rice
Organic Jasmati® Rice
Organic Arborio Rice
Kathleen

#3 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Personally, I wouldn't eat it. For one thing they don't say what type of test they use, so who knows how much gluten it has to have to be detected. Also they don't say how often they test. Do they test every batch or do they test once a month? Who knows?

That is just my thoughts though.

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

A little common sense here, please. It's just rice.

There probably isn't a packaged rice in the country that hasn't run across wheat somewhere along the way. Grain elevators, trucks, warehouses, and packaging lines are probably all shared with pastas and other grains. Do you think twice before you grab a bag of generic rice at the grocery store?

Pick through it for anything that isn't rice. Rinse it off to make sure there's nothing clinging to the grains. (All rices should be lightly rinsed before cooking, including Arborio.) Add your gluten-free broth and seasonings and go to town.

Edited to add: Do be careful of rices with seasonings and whatnot included. Make your risotto from scratch with any packaged arborio rice and go from there.

Edited by Skylark, 18 May 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:22 AM

If it is just white rice I don't worry about the brand I just make sure I rinse and 'pick' it if needed throughly before I use it. The brand of wild and brown rice I use is Lundberg and I have never had an issue with them, I don't think those would work with Risotto but that company may have a suitable rice that would work.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Smithk6

Smithk6

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

Thanks everyone
Kathleen

#7 Cinderella10

Cinderella10

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone

Maybe this is cheating, but I just use Calrose rice when I make risotto. Turns out great, still a little bit of a bite.

Mmm... risotto...
Celiac dx May, 2009 via bloodwork

Allergy testing done 10/7/10, responded to:

Beef, Chicken, Eggs (White & Yolk), Milk, Bananas, Carrots, Corn

I'm currently working on an elimination diet to figure out what are actually problems and in what amounts.

#8 Hummingbird4

Hummingbird4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

I bought arborio rice at Trader Joe's for my risotto. It turned out great!!! :)
Diagnosed Celiac in June 2008 by biopsy and blood tests.
DQ2.2 (HLA DQA1*0201:DQB1*0202) and DQ2.5trans (HLA DQA1*05) positive.

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

If it is just white rice I don't worry about the brand I just make sure I rinse and 'pick' it if needed throughly before I use it. The brand of wild and brown rice I use is Lundberg and I have never had an issue with them, I don't think those would work with Risotto but that company may have a suitable rice that would work.

Lundberg is a very gluten-free friendly company and markets directly to Celiacs. They make a line of pre-packaged risotto mixes, with sauces,that are gluten-free and delicious. The ones which are gluten-free are clearly marked, on the front of the box in big letters....can't miss it.
I have never felt remotely suspicious that they were contaminated after eating them.

Arborio rice should not be rinsed before cooking. It needs to be sauteed with oil before adding the water to finish cooking. I never rinse arbori rice and never have had a problem with becoming ill. Unless you are eating rice from a company which also makes rice mixes with wheat, like Rice a Roni, I wouldn't worry about eating rice.

#10 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

I use Lundberg. It comes with the flavor pack but you don't HAVE to use it and sometimes I don't. Their risotto mixes are made in a dedicated facility.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#11 Sprue is me

Sprue is me

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

I bought arborio rice at Trader Joe's for my risotto. It turned out great!!! :)

I have been sick as a dog this week after making a delicious risotto with TJ's arborio rice. It is on their gluten-free foods list (which is why I thought it was ok) but on the box it says "Made in a facility that processes wheat". Unfortunately I didn't read the box until after I ate it and started feeling horrible. Made me remember why I don't eat gluten that's for sure. Trader Joe's should not have this rice on their gluten-free list. Between that and all the ways they squeeze soy into their products I am finding myself loosing faith in my former favorite grocery store.

#12 NoGrainNoPain

NoGrainNoPain

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

I use Lundberg. It comes with the flavor pack but you don't HAVE to use it and sometimes I don't. Their risotto mixes are made in a dedicated facility.

I know this is an old thread, but want to put my two cents in. I'm a new kid on the block. I love Lundberg rice. I made a big batch of Berreta arborio rice to bring to work, and head aches, itchiness and skids came back. I can eat Lundberg rice for days without any reaction at all. They make arborio and basmati rice and my local co-op sells it in 20# bags. Personally, I'm sensitive to stuff made in a facilities that process wheat. That's how we figured out I had gluten enteropathy. 

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

I know this is an old thread, but want to put my two cents in. I'm a new kid on the block. I love Lundberg rice. I made a big batch of Berreta arborio rice to bring to work, and head aches, itchiness and skids came back. I can eat Lundberg rice for days without any reaction at all. They make arborio and basmati rice and my local co-op sells it in 20# bags. Personally, I'm sensitive to stuff made in a facilities that process wheat. That's how we figured out I had gluten enteropathy. 

I just wanted to clarify something you said.  You were diagnosed with Celiac Sprue from eating Berreta Arborio Rice?  Do you mean you were diagnosed with Celiac through blood testing and biopsy and cannot "tolerate" that particular rice?

We don't want anyone who reads this in the future thinking that this is a way to diagnose something  ;)

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

hairy-spider-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: