6 replies to this topic

#1 HopeMum

HopeMum

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

I love Wegmans, I do all of my shopping there but I am still hopping mad...
I was working at Wegmans last Saturday (giving flu shots for the Health Department) and I saw a huge sign in the prepared foods dept "GLUTEN FREE BAKED GOODS." on top of a rack of about 6 shelves of cookies, cakes, brownies etc.
My husband brought our 3 year old celiac daughter to see me and I was so excited to show her the sign. I went back to giving shots and my husband took her to choose something.
I checked out the rack of baked goods...NOT gluten free. The top row of items were, the rest were not.
I got home to a vomiting 3 year old who was stopping only to scream 'Mommy, my bum hurts, make it stop.' It was heartbreaking.
It's been 5 days and she is still so irritable and tired. She had diarrhea for 4 days and now I guess constipation. When will the irritability get better?
My husband called Wegmans and went ballistic. They removed the display and told him they were at fault and the vendor had misrepresented what was being delivered. They're giving us a $200 certificate...I would love to tell them to stick it but quite frankly could do with $200 towards groceries.
I guess this post is just a vent, I don't want money or apology, I just want it to not have happened.
Thanks for listening..
C

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciavyn

ciavyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

Oh, that totally stinks. I'm so sorry she and you had to go through that. Wegman's is usually really good for the gluten free community. Hopefully they will be more careful in the future.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#3 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:23 AM

Oh, that totally stinks. I'm so sorry she and you had to go through that. Wegman's is usually really good for the gluten free community. Hopefully they will be more careful in the future.

I think its great that Wegeman's is offering you that kind of compensation and while it's really unfortunate that your child and yourself have gotten so sick...I think we, as celiacs, have the responsibility to read the labels even if its advertised gluten free. I've been in a lot of stores, including this particular Wegeman's, that have GLUTEN FREE signs but not all the products on that display are gluten free. It's a pain but it's better to be safe than sorry. I really hope all of you start to feel better soon!!!

#4 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:05 AM

I think its great that Wegeman's is offering you that kind of compensation and while it's really unfortunate that your child and yourself have gotten so sick...I think we, as celiacs, have the responsibility to read the labels even if its advertised gluten free. I've been in a lot of stores, including this particular Wegeman's, that have GLUTEN FREE signs but not all the products on that display are gluten free. It's a pain but it's better to be safe than sorry. I really hope all of you start to feel better soon!!!

That's sort of where I was going too. So... Wegman's had all this stuff on a gluten-free display and your husband bought a bunch and your daughter ate it and no one read the labels??
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#5 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:17 AM

Okay, so there was a "gluten free" sign and there were a few gluten free items on that shelf, but your husband bought something that was not gluten free and just did not read the label? I really don't see how Wegmans is at fault here either? I mean I hate misleading signs and labels, but I am having a hard time understanding how this was wrong. Was there a tag or label right on this item that said gluten free? I do understand how husbands don't pay as much attention as we do ;) but I think blaming Wegmans is a bit harsh. :unsure:

#6 HopeMum

HopeMum

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

Okay, so there was a "gluten free" sign and there were a few gluten free items on that shelf, but your husband bought something that was not gluten free and just did not read the label? I really don't see how Wegmans is at fault here either? I mean I hate misleading signs and labels, but I am having a hard time understanding how this was wrong. Was there a tag or label right on this item that said gluten free? I do understand how husbands don't pay as much attention as we do ;) but I think blaming Wegmans is a bit harsh. :unsure:

I realize my husband bears some responsibility but it wasn't just a shelf in the store. It was a rack in the bakery/prepared section that had a large 'handpainted' sign stating GLUTEN FREE BAKED GOODS and underneath a bunch of cookies etc in plastic clam shell type boxes. It was purposely displayed as Gluten Free because that is what Wegmans thought they were getting from the supplier. Seems they can't read labels either....
ps, now 12 days later and my daughter is still not well. Thanks for your support ladies.

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:31 AM

I realize my husband bears some responsibility but it wasn't just a shelf in the store. It was a rack in the bakery/prepared section that had a large 'handpainted' sign stating GLUTEN FREE BAKED GOODS and underneath a bunch of cookies etc in plastic clam shell type boxes. It was purposely displayed as Gluten Free because that is what Wegmans thought they were getting from the supplier. Seems they can't read labels either....
ps, now 12 days later and my daughter is still not well. Thanks for your support ladies.

Have you gone back to that store & checked to see if they are still doing that? It might be a service to others who have the same thing happen.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: