This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grrr...wegmans Hunt Valley Maryland

HopeMum

HopeMum Apprentice

I love Wegmans, I do all of my shopping there but I am still hopping mad...

I was working at Wegmans last Saturday (giving flu shots for the Health Department) and I saw a huge sign in the prepared foods dept "GLUTEN FREE BAKED GOODS." on top of a rack of about 6 shelves of cookies, cakes, brownies etc.

My husband brought our 3 year old celiac daughter to see me and I was so excited to show her the sign. I went back to giving shots and my husband took her to choose something.

I checked out the rack of baked goods...NOT gluten free. The top row of items were, the rest were not.

I got home to a vomiting 3 year old who was stopping only to scream 'Mommy, my bum hurts, make it stop.' It was heartbreaking.

It's been 5 days and she is still so irritable and tired. She had diarrhea for 4 days and now I guess constipation. When will the irritability get better?

My husband called Wegmans and went ballistic. They removed the display and told him they were at fault and the vendor had misrepresented what was being delivered. They're giving us a $200 certificate...I would love to tell them to stick it but quite frankly could do with $200 towards groceries.

I guess this post is just a vent, I don't want money or apology, I just want it to not have happened.

Thanks for listening..

C

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciavyn Contributor

Oh, that totally stinks. I'm so sorry she and you had to go through that. Wegman's is usually really good for the gluten free community. Hopefully they will be more careful in the future.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Oh, that totally stinks. I'm so sorry she and you had to go through that. Wegman's is usually really good for the gluten free community. Hopefully they will be more careful in the future.

I think its great that Wegeman's is offering you that kind of compensation and while it's really unfortunate that your child and yourself have gotten so sick...I think we, as celiacs, have the responsibility to read the labels even if its advertised gluten free. I've been in a lot of stores, including this particular Wegeman's, that have GLUTEN FREE signs but not all the products on that display are gluten free. It's a pain but it's better to be safe than sorry. I really hope all of you start to feel better soon!!!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I think its great that Wegeman's is offering you that kind of compensation and while it's really unfortunate that your child and yourself have gotten so sick...I think we, as celiacs, have the responsibility to read the labels even if its advertised gluten free. I've been in a lot of stores, including this particular Wegeman's, that have GLUTEN FREE signs but not all the products on that display are gluten free. It's a pain but it's better to be safe than sorry. I really hope all of you start to feel better soon!!!

That's sort of where I was going too. So... Wegman's had all this stuff on a gluten-free display and your husband bought a bunch and your daughter ate it and no one read the labels??

StephanieGF Rookie

Okay, so there was a "gluten free" sign and there were a few gluten free items on that shelf, but your husband bought something that was not gluten free and just did not read the label? I really don't see how Wegmans is at fault here either? I mean I hate misleading signs and labels, but I am having a hard time understanding how this was wrong. Was there a tag or label right on this item that said gluten free? I do understand how husbands don't pay as much attention as we do ;) but I think blaming Wegmans is a bit harsh. :unsure:

HopeMum Apprentice

Okay, so there was a "gluten free" sign and there were a few gluten free items on that shelf, but your husband bought something that was not gluten free and just did not read the label? I really don't see how Wegmans is at fault here either? I mean I hate misleading signs and labels, but I am having a hard time understanding how this was wrong. Was there a tag or label right on this item that said gluten free? I do understand how husbands don't pay as much attention as we do ;) but I think blaming Wegmans is a bit harsh. :unsure:

I realize my husband bears some responsibility but it wasn't just a shelf in the store. It was a rack in the bakery/prepared section that had a large 'handpainted' sign stating GLUTEN FREE BAKED GOODS and underneath a bunch of cookies etc in plastic clam shell type boxes. It was purposely displayed as Gluten Free because that is what Wegmans thought they were getting from the supplier. Seems they can't read labels either....

ps, now 12 days later and my daughter is still not well. Thanks for your support ladies.

kareng Grand Master

I realize my husband bears some responsibility but it wasn't just a shelf in the store. It was a rack in the bakery/prepared section that had a large 'handpainted' sign stating GLUTEN FREE BAKED GOODS and underneath a bunch of cookies etc in plastic clam shell type boxes. It was purposely displayed as Gluten Free because that is what Wegmans thought they were getting from the supplier. Seems they can't read labels either....

ps, now 12 days later and my daughter is still not well. Thanks for your support ladies.

Have you gone back to that store & checked to see if they are still doing that? It might be a service to others who have the same thing happen.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived