7 replies to this topic

#1 cblack

cblack

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

I would love to hear some opinions as to what are the best genetic test kits on the market for testing for the celiac/gluten genes? Which ones are the most extensive? Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:56 AM

i had mine done through enterolab (which on the results said testing was done through american red cross). got the "best deal" package or something like that but they offer genetic only testing.

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Promethus is testing both alpha and beta chains, so you find out if you have the high-risk DQ2.5. I'm not sure Enterolab does that.

#4 WheatChef

WheatChef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

Promethus is testing both alpha and beta chains, so you find out if you have the high-risk DQ2.5. I'm not sure Enterolab does that.

This is a pretty important factor. Anyone who has done the Enterolab test know if they test both parts?
Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

#5 bluebonnet

bluebonnet

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

no, just one ... its in their FAQ area of their website i believe and i think i remember it *may* tell why they only do one portion. :)

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Yes, genetic testing is only a percentile of probability, nothing more. And it's certainly not diagnostic. It CAN be used as a piece of a puzzle, but not solely independent.

I have never been a fan of Enterolabs, but I do understand that it can offer a piece to that puzzle...AFTER, other avenues have been exhausted.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:24 AM

Each have their own advantages.
Enterolab (Red Cross) tests by serology, and only beta chains, to keep costs down.
This is very accurate (someone here had DQ8 which a reputable lab missed, but Enterolab found it) , and you get to know all your DQ types. The other labs only look for DQ2 or DQ8.

Enterolab does test for DQ2,5, which is 0201. They can discriminate between DQ2,2 and DQ2,5. DQ2,2 is 0202.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#8 MargoS

MargoS

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

Each have their own advantages.
Enterolab (Red Cross) tests by serology, and only beta chains, to keep costs down.
This is very accurate (someone here had DQ8 which a reputable lab missed, but Enterolab found it) , and you get to know all your DQ types. The other labs only look for DQ2 or DQ8.

Enterolab does test for DQ2,5, which is 0201. They can discriminate between DQ2,2 and DQ2,5. DQ2,2 is 0202.

Hi all- I just got my results back and it was done (or reported by) Quest. I don't have the official report yet- just the doctor's lab report, but mine said the following:

HLA-DQ2
(DQA1*05/DQB1*02) Positive

HLA-DQ8
(DQA1*03/DQB1*0302) Negative

HLA-DQA1* 02

HLA-DQA1* 05

HLA-DQB1* 0201

HLA-DQB1* 0202
------------------------------------------

Question-and help!: Which type of testing was this (serological?) - and could other labs do more "typing" or present more information? It looks like they tested for just the DQ2/DQ8- or did they do more (what are the 4 sets underneath the positive/negative lines)? Do I need to know more (like if they only look for HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8, and one is negative, could there be one of the others - or is this all I need to know?) Does anyone know where we can learn more about interpreting these test results? For instance, people with homozygous vs. hetrozygous sets of these "phenotypes" may put some at higher risks for refractory celiac disease and for lymphoma. Thanks so much for your insight to this!
Vegetarian since 1993; 12/31/2010 Sudden onset sensitivity to gluten
TTG Antibody, IGA >100
Gliadin Antibody (IGG) 31
Gliadin Antibody (IGA) >100
Endomysial AB(IGA) 1:320
HLA-DQ2 Positive
HLA-DQA1* 02
HLA-DQA1* 05
HLA-DQB1* 0201
HLA-DQB1* 0202

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users