Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Best Genetic Tests?

8 posts in this topic

I would love to hear some opinions as to what are the best genetic test kits on the market for testing for the celiac/gluten genes? Which ones are the most extensive? Thank you!

Ads by Google:

i had mine done through enterolab (which on the results said testing was done through american red cross). got the "best deal" package or something like that but they offer genetic only testing.

Promethus is testing both alpha and beta chains, so you find out if you have the high-risk DQ2.5. I'm not sure Enterolab does that.

Promethus is testing both alpha and beta chains, so you find out if you have the high-risk DQ2.5. I'm not sure Enterolab does that.

This is a pretty important factor. Anyone who has done the Enterolab test know if they test both parts?

no, just one ... its in their FAQ area of their website i believe and i think i remember it *may* tell why they only do one portion. :)

Yes, genetic testing is only a percentile of probability, nothing more. And it's certainly not diagnostic. It CAN be used as a piece of a puzzle, but not solely independent.

I have never been a fan of Enterolabs, but I do understand that it can offer a piece to that puzzle...AFTER, other avenues have been exhausted.

Each have their own advantages.

Enterolab (Red Cross) tests by serology, and only beta chains, to keep costs down.

This is very accurate (someone here had DQ8 which a reputable lab missed, but Enterolab found it) , and you get to know all your DQ types. The other labs only look for DQ2 or DQ8.

Enterolab does test for DQ2,5, which is 0201. They can discriminate between DQ2,2 and DQ2,5. DQ2,2 is 0202.

Each have their own advantages.

Enterolab (Red Cross) tests by serology, and only beta chains, to keep costs down.

This is very accurate (someone here had DQ8 which a reputable lab missed, but Enterolab found it) , and you get to know all your DQ types. The other labs only look for DQ2 or DQ8.

Enterolab does test for DQ2,5, which is 0201. They can discriminate between DQ2,2 and DQ2,5. DQ2,2 is 0202.

Hi all- I just got my results back and it was done (or reported by) Quest. I don't have the official report yet- just the doctor's lab report, but mine said the following:

HLA-DQ2

(DQA1*05/DQB1*02) Positive

HLA-DQ8

(DQA1*03/DQB1*0302) Negative

HLA-DQA1* 02

HLA-DQA1* 05

HLA-DQB1* 0201

HLA-DQB1* 0202

------------------------------------------

Question-and help!: Which type of testing was this (serological?) - and could other labs do more "typing" or present more information? It looks like they tested for just the DQ2/DQ8- or did they do more (what are the 4 sets underneath the positive/negative lines)? Do I need to know more (like if they only look for HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8, and one is negative, could there be one of the others - or is this all I need to know?) Does anyone know where we can learn more about interpreting these test results? For instance, people with homozygous vs. hetrozygous sets of these "phenotypes" may put some at higher risks for refractory celiac disease and for lymphoma. Thanks so much for your insight to this!