Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

The Dreaded Diarrhea/bowels Topic

7 posts in this topic

We read a lot about this topic, but I guess what I am wondering is how do you work and live a normal life when diarrhea/bowels are always on the mind. Having to know where the bathroom is all the time or do I travel or don't I travel... I had diarrhea for years - accidents and you name it. I am now gluten free and am feeling better, but just can't seem to get that anxiety/panic out of my brain. I've been gluten free for about nine months, will this just get better over time. I just need some reassurance.

Ads by Google:

I know what you are talking about and had nighmares about it in my early gluten-free days :o But now I lead a busy life running around to various dog trials, shows and I even teach large quilting classes. Now I will admit having some anxious days and weeks convincing myself to do that one :lol:

What I do is ... before the event, make doubly sure that there is no chance of contamination and eat simply. Fresh only. Then pack immodium!! It doesn't matter that I don't need it .. it's a way to calm my crazy bathroom anxiety. I know it's there and that's what matters. I still of course need to know where the bathroom is at each school, hall, or show grounds that I teach or trial at, but it works for me, and I'm not hiding in my house anymore.

Hope this helps a bit ... time is what is going to help more :rolleyes:

That's what I was going to say. I never go anywhere without carrying my Immodium, Pepto for upset stomach, NuLev tabs for spasms, and various snacks and fluids in case I am "stranded" somewhere( hardly likely :rolleyes:) but this is my way of containing my anxiety.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have had the accidents which has caused the anxiety. My husband (as understanding as he is) gets aggravated with me because when we get ready to go anywhere, I often go back to the bathroom 4 or 5 times to "make sure" I can make it to my destination. If I am going to be away from home, I take the Imodium whether I have the "D" at the moment or not. It helps me function as a normal human being. I also check out the restroom location first thing wherever I go and don't go places if access is not readily available. However, the longer I go without an accident, the more confident I become. It's a vicious cycle and one that is not easy to overcome. Know that we're with you on this one! :)

Yea, Immodium is my friend too.

Viola

Can you give me some suggestions on safe food - I know gluten free, but what are some safe items that you eat before travel.

I stick pretty much with a gluten free cereal for breakfast with a piece of fruit. A gluten-free soup and cheese for lunch and a plain meat with potato and vegie for supper the day before, then just gluten-free cereal the morning of the event and carry in a cooler, cut up cheese, fresh strawberries, and or banana, cellery sticks and carrot sticks. I use cheese a lot (swiss is low in lactose) although I don't have trouble with dairy anymore. But it's a super protein if you can handle it. The day before and the day of the event, I don't snack on anything that doesn't have gluten free written right on it! Unless it is fresh fruit or veggie. :)