6 replies to this topic

#1 BamBam

BamBam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:43 AM

We read a lot about this topic, but I guess what I am wondering is how do you work and live a normal life when diarrhea/bowels are always on the mind. Having to know where the bathroom is all the time or do I travel or don't I travel... I had diarrhea for years - accidents and you name it. I am now gluten free and am feeling better, but just can't seem to get that anxiety/panic out of my brain. I've been gluten free for about nine months, will this just get better over time. I just need some reassurance.
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

I know what you are talking about and had nighmares about it in my early gluten-free days :o But now I lead a busy life running around to various dog trials, shows and I even teach large quilting classes. Now I will admit having some anxious days and weeks convincing myself to do that one :lol:
What I do is ... before the event, make doubly sure that there is no chance of contamination and eat simply. Fresh only. Then pack immodium!! It doesn't matter that I don't need it .. it's a way to calm my crazy bathroom anxiety. I know it's there and that's what matters. I still of course need to know where the bathroom is at each school, hall, or show grounds that I teach or trial at, but it works for me, and I'm not hiding in my house anymore.
Hope this helps a bit ... time is what is going to help more :rolleyes:

#3 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:22 PM

That's what I was going to say. I never go anywhere without carrying my Immodium, Pepto for upset stomach, NuLev tabs for spasms, and various snacks and fluids in case I am "stranded" somewhere( hardly likely :rolleyes:) but this is my way of containing my anxiety.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#4 cmom

cmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I have had the accidents which has caused the anxiety. My husband (as understanding as he is) gets aggravated with me because when we get ready to go anywhere, I often go back to the bathroom 4 or 5 times to "make sure" I can make it to my destination. If I am going to be away from home, I take the Imodium whether I have the "D" at the moment or not. It helps me function as a normal human being. I also check out the restroom location first thing wherever I go and don't go places if access is not readily available. However, the longer I go without an accident, the more confident I become. It's a vicious cycle and one that is not easy to overcome. Know that we're with you on this one! :)
Robin from Indiana

#5 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:19 AM

Yea, Immodium is my friend too.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#6 BamBam

BamBam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

Viola

Can you give me some suggestions on safe food - I know gluten free, but what are some safe items that you eat before travel.
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

#7 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

I stick pretty much with a gluten free cereal for breakfast with a piece of fruit. A gluten-free soup and cheese for lunch and a plain meat with potato and vegie for supper the day before, then just gluten-free cereal the morning of the event and carry in a cooler, cut up cheese, fresh strawberries, and or banana, cellery sticks and carrot sticks. I use cheese a lot (swiss is low in lactose) although I don't have trouble with dairy anymore. But it's a super protein if you can handle it. The day before and the day of the event, I don't snack on anything that doesn't have gluten free written right on it! Unless it is fresh fruit or veggie. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: