This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac & Itp (Low Platlet Bleeding Disorder)

Sheryl589

Sheryl589 Newbie

Hello, I'm new to this site and to Celiac disease. However, I'm not new to autoimmune diseases.

My daughter (now 21) was diagnoised in 2002 with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura or ITP.

Itp is a disease where the body attaches the blood and destroys the platets. Last week she was

diagnoised with Celiac disease. She has suffered from stomach problems for years. She's been tested

3 times for Lupus. Her list of Celiac symptoms is a tablet sheet long.I've been reading and it seems there is some kind of link diseases. Does anyone else have ITP or have bleeding or bruising problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knittingmonkey Newbie

Hello, I'm new to this site and to Celiac disease. However, I'm not new to autoimmune diseases.

My daughter (now 21) was diagnoised in 2002 with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura or ITP.

Itp is a disease where the body attaches the blood and destroys the platets. Last week she was

diagnoised with Celiac disease. She has suffered from stomach problems for years. She's been tested

3 times for Lupus. Her list of Celiac symptoms is a tablet sheet long.I've been reading and it seems there is some kind of link diseases. Does anyone else have ITP or have bleeding or bruising problems?

Been diagnosed celiac, both my parents might be to; Dad (deceased) had depression and severe mental illness, Mom is diabetic, hypothyroid, congestive heart, scoliosis and seems to have Parkinson's, also suffers with diarrhea.

On Dad's side of the family, his first cousin had known issues with wheat, and his sister had ITP. So yes, I think there may be a connection between celiac and other auto-immune disease.

mommida Enthusiast

There seems to be a saying of "once you have one auto-immune disease it"s just a matter of time before you get another." :ph34r:

A few people here have mentioned small purple bruises, which I believe is a primary symptom of ITP. I have them myself, and have not been able to find a doctor to even now what kind of test to run. :huh:

So as soon as we can find doctors who know enough about auto-immune diseases to even diagnose them, I'm sure we are going to have more of a proven correlation. ;)

Sheryl589 Newbie

Have your doctor order a CBC. It will check your platlet level. ITP is a bleeding disorder. It causes spontaneous bleeding(nose,gums etc.). Bruising is usually severe but not aways. Also you will find peticia. These are small red blister like dots.

I'm wondering now if she's had Celiac most of her life and their just now finding it. If so she might have been able to avoid ITP and years of severe treatment. She also has gasteritis, B12 defic.,reflux disease and the list of symptoms goes on and on.

Looking for answers Contributor

I've had low blood platlets for years....they've never dropped to a dangerously low number but they are usually out of range. I also have gastristis. I believe your daugter will be able to control it from getting any worse by eliminating gluten and possibly dairy.

• 2 weeks later...
O.N. Rookie

...Does anyone else have ITP or have bleeding or bruising problems?

It was the only symptom that my physician couldn

nikki-uk Enthusiast

My husbands diagnosis of ITP came several years after the celiac disease and psoriatic arthritis was diagnosed.

Luckily the ITP has not yet required treatment - it's just closely monitored.

He's always been an 'easy bleeder'....I think he's had low platelets for alot longer than he's been aware :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 7 months later...
jensen Newbie

My 5 year old son was diagnosed with a severe case of ITP 2 years ago. He has had tummy aches on and off for years and we were told that it was nothing to be concerned about. He just tested positive with the first blood test for Celiac but his doctor ordered a genetic test that shows that it is not in his DNA. he said he cannot possibly has Celiac if it is not in his genetic makeup. I really feel that his test result is related to his ITP. It is hard to ignore His tummy aches, dry, awful skin and night sweats. Can anyone offer us an explaination? I heard that there are endocrine diseases that can create celiac disease and autoimmune diseases like ITP even if they are not in the patients DNA.

Help.

Searching Mom.

mommida Enthusiast

The genetic tests for Celiac are not failproof.

• 11 months later...
Austin Guy Contributor

In case anyone is still following this, I had ITP between my ankles and knees for about 5 years. I also bled forever (sometimes for an hour) after nicking myself shaving. I never made the connection until after going gluten free in May, 2011. The ITP was gone in a week and small cuts clotted within a minute or so. In me there was absolutely a strong connection between ITP and gluten. By the way, ITP is now being called Immune Thrombocytopenic purpura. Go figure.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Also you will find peticia. These are small red blister like dots.

Wow, I finally have a name to put on it! Have had this as long as I can remember. Still do, and not until this moment did I connect it to Celiac. Sorta just ignore it most of the time.

And the easy bruising...oh yeah. Blisters too. But these didn't start until long after going gluten-free :huh: Been taking vitamin C, K2, D3, Biotin, Folic acid, and more. Can't find a zinc supplement that doesn't throw my digestive system off. Hopefully I don't really need it.

A work in progress...

• 4 weeks later...
Tim Lawing Newbie

My son had ITP most of his life. He tested him for Celiac over a year ago and the entire family is living gluten free in south Mississippi. His symptoms has all but disappeared and better yet, we have not had one treatment for his ITP since. His behavior has changed and he is able to pay attention at school. It has taken some time to understand and get used to the diet; however, he is a success story.

Tim Lawing.

• 3 months later...
nvsmom Community Regular

I had ITP years ago and just searched the forum to see if it was connected to celiac... I guess it might be. Huh. I had a bad case of ITP, I remember my platelets were at 90, not 90K, just 90. lol I almost needed a blood transfusion. Steroids couldn't regulate my blood so they took my spleen out; my white blood cells aren't able to do much any more.

I'm still in the process of diagnosing myself as celiac, although I think I've had it for a good 30 years, but it makes me wonder if celiac caused it or how related they are...

nicole

cavernio Enthusiast

My 5 year old son was diagnosed with a severe case of ITP 2 years ago. He has had tummy aches on and off for years and we were told that it was nothing to be concerned about. He just tested positive with the first blood test for Celiac but his doctor ordered a genetic test that shows that it is not in his DNA. he said he cannot possibly has Celiac if it is not in his genetic makeup. I really feel that his test result is related to his ITP. It is hard to ignore His tummy aches, dry, awful skin and night sweats. Can anyone offer us an explaination? I heard that there are endocrine diseases that can create celiac disease and autoimmune diseases like ITP even if they are not in the patients DNA.

Help.

Searching Mom.

1. You aren't the only person to complain about celiac disease showing up positive in blood tests and symptoms but then have negative genetic results show up.

2. Your doctor is the first I've heard say that there's a 100% agreement with genes and celiac disease. The wikipedia article disagrees with your doctor.

"There are seven HLA-DQ variants (DQ2 and DQ4

Archived