This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Any Remedies I Can Try For Accidental Contamination

Patricia27

Patricia27 Newbie

Today, I was accidentally "contaminated" thru homefries that were cross-contaminated :ph34r: during preparation :o

I am once again in extreme pain & wish there was something I can take to help ease the severe abdominal pain I am experiencing. :(

I have been doing really well :rolleyes: , til today. Is there anything I can take or anything I can do to ease the excruciating abdominal pains that I am experiencing?

Thank you.

Patricia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kpryan Apprentice

I find that Phazyme gas pills help with the pain....

Patricia27 Newbie

Thank You :) I will be venturing out to locate them! Thank You :)

skigirlchar Newbie

remember, once it's in your system it's in there until it's gone so any "remedy" is really just masking the symptom.

that being said, prior to all my testing, my gp put me on hydroxyzine generic for atarax) - Open Original Shared Link (from the website - Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine with anticholinergic (drying) and sedative properties that is used to treat allergic reactions. The body releases histamine during several types of allergic reactions and--to a lesser extent--during some viral infections, such as the Open Original Shared Link. When histamine binds to its receptors on cells, it causes the cells to release chemical messengers that lead to sneezing, Open Original Shared Link, and increased mucus production. Antihistamines, like histamine, binds to the histamine receptors, but when they bind to the receptors they do not stimulate the cells to release chemical messengers. In addition, they prevent histamine from binding and stimulating the cells. Hydroxyzine itself has no activity. After ingestion, it is converted to its active form. The active form of hydroxyzine is a drug called Open Original Shared Link(Zyrtec). Although, both hydroxyzine and cetirizine act as antihistamines, hydroxyzine causes more sedation than cetirizine. The FDA approved hydroxyzine in 1956.)

it's a multi use script & i know others who are on it as a mild anti-anxiety and others as a mild sedative.

either way, for me, when i have the overwhelming stomach cramps and feel like i'm going to vomit it has a settling effect

however, it's still doesn't eliminate the gluten, casien, or soy i've eaten - just helps my insides relax

K8ling Enthusiast

I couldn't function with the pain, so my doctor gave me a low dose loritab. It works for me when my pain is THE WORST and then allows me to get some sleep. You might want to ask for a weak prescription. Also, I have Ibuprofen 800s that I use after the initial loritab.

Northern Celiac Newbie

Today, I was accidentally "contaminated" thru homefries that were cross-contaminated :ph34r: during preparation :o

I am once again in extreme pain & wish there was something I can take to help ease the severe abdominal pain I am experiencing. :(

I have been doing really well :rolleyes: , til today. Is there anything I can take or anything I can do to ease the excruciating abdominal pains that I am experiencing?

Thank you.

Patricia

Patrica, I have an emergency kit at home that I take with me anytime I travel. I have prednisone and cipro. I known this sounds like killing a fly with an elephant gun but it works for me

Skylark Collaborator

Does anyone use Bentyl these days? It helped when I was a kid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

I've only been accidentally glutened a couple times. But now, if I have any indication that it is about to happen, I immediately take two Immodiums and either a Vistaril (hydroxyzine pamoate) or a hydrocodone, or a little of both. I'm not fooling around with the glutening sickness.

best regards, lm

jerseyangel Proficient

It all depends on what your symptoms are, since all you can really do is treat those....I use Immodium and Extra Strength Bufferin.

GFinDC Veteran

I would take DPP-4, then maybe some milk of magnesia to get the crud out, then some Pepto Bismol a few hours later to make things nice and pink inside. Well, Pepto can sooth things some too, i suppose that's the more important thing. :D

psipsina Rookie

If I realized I've gotten gluten early I take a laxative. While it sounds counter-intuitive I figure the faster it moves through my GI system the less will absorb to cause the symptoms that last for weeks in me. The few times I've tried this I've bounced back much more quickly. Of course one has to be very careful about dehydrating so I pound water too.

MagpieWrites Rookie

One of the big things I've found that helps is drinking a LOT of water. I tend to run towards being dehydrated at the best of times (one of the "rules" my mom laid down to my husband when we got married was "Make sure she keeps drinking - every day!" :lol: Some guys simply get told to take care of their brides... my poor husband got a manual! :P ) and it just gets more miserable when I've been glutened. The few times (thankfully) it's happened I HAVE noticed I start to feel slightly more human, and faster if I suck down the H2O. I mean a lot though. I'll drink 2 64oz jugs a day until the misery passes. Not sure if it's just keeping myself hydrated, flushing my system all the quicker, or a combo of the two, but it does seem to help.

Mack the Knife Explorer

I take Buscopan. It helps with the inflammation and severe cramping. Just don't mix it with alcohol.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived