This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems Continue After 9 Months Of Being Gluten Free

amberlink09

amberlink09 Apprentice

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had been in a situation similar to mine, when I first went gluten free (about 9 months ago) I lost about 10 pounds over a few months without trying, I just assumed it was because I was getting healthy. I'm 19, 5'2," and about 120 pounds. A few months ago, I just started gaining all of the weight plus more back. If anything, I was eating healthier. I rarely eat frozen meals or gluten free cookies or anything. My worst habit is snacking but since I know that I snack on stuff like yogurt, fruit, and baked chips. I exercise on a regular basis also, though currently I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks because I am in college and I got really busy with finals and everything.

Also, I had been doing really well on the diet, but a few months ago (when the weight gain started) I started feeling sick all the time again. I am constantly constipated and I have terrible stomach pains, I can't eat ANYTHING without being sick anymore and I have checked everything I own for gluten. I am wondering if its possible that I have developed another food allergy or disorder? It's really discouraging, I felt great just a few months ago and now I feel like I'm back to square one. Thanks for your help!

Amber

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had been in a situation similar to mine, when I first went gluten free (about 9 months ago) I lost about 10 pounds over a few months without trying, I just assumed it was because I was getting healthy. I'm 19, 5'2," and about 120 pounds. A few months ago, I just started gaining all of the weight plus more back. If anything, I was eating healthier. I rarely eat frozen meals or gluten free cookies or anything. My worst habit is snacking but since I know that I snack on stuff like yogurt, fruit, and baked chips. I exercise on a regular basis also, though currently I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks because I am in college and I got really busy with finals and everything.

Also, I had been doing really well on the diet, but a few months ago (when the weight gain started) I started feeling sick all the time again. I am constantly constipated and I have terrible stomach pains, I can't eat ANYTHING without being sick anymore and I have checked everything I own for gluten. I am wondering if its possible that I have developed another food allergy or disorder? It's really discouraging, I felt great just a few months ago and now I feel like I'm back to square one. Thanks for your help!

Amber

Hi, Amber!

It certainly is possible you have other food intolerances. Many Celiacs also have dairy and soy allergies/intolerances. Have you had any food allergy testing done? The ELISA test is commonly used for this but make sure you have it done at a place where they use a reputable laboratory for the analysis part. Not to scare you but there is also something called refractory sprue and and something else called collagenous sprue (spelling?) that do not respond to going gluten free or where there is reversion to original problems unrelated to gluten. Research is discovering that a certain percentage of Celiacs fall into that category. But, start with your original suspicion of other food alllergies/intolerances. That is more likely.

mushroom Proficient

This sounds like a good time to start a food and symptom diary to see if you can correlate how you feel with what you eat. You probably should start off eliminating some of the major known allergens; for celiacs when they are first healing this would be lactose - your ability to digest that will probably come back later. Other intolerances often associated with gluten include soy, corn, and the casein in all dairy. Try getting rid of those to start with and then if you stabilize on feeling better you can start adding in other things. Try to eat whole fresh foods, meat, vegetables and fruits, rice, nuts and see how you go.

frieze Community Regular

hmm young, female, weight gain, belly pain......have you been checked to see if you are pregnant?

• 2 weeks later...
dnwiebe Newbie

Amber, I'm in the exact same situation. I'm 22 years old, and have only been diagnosed for a year. I started getting sick about a month ago, it seems I get quite ill in the afternoons, no matter what I eat. I think I will start a food journal to track everything. If you find anything that might help, please let me know!

Dani

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Amber, I'm in the exact same situation. I'm 22 years old, and have only been diagnosed for a year. I started getting sick about a month ago, it seems I get quite ill in the afternoons, no matter what I eat. I think I will start a food journal to track everything. If you find anything that might help, please let me know!

Dani

Dani also look at what may have changed a month ago. Are you on any meds or supplements? Check scripts at each refill. Did you start using a new shampoo or other toiletries or makeup? Do you have a significant other who is a gluten eater? Kisses can CC us. Are you doing remodeling at your home or have you recently started doing arts and crafts? Some items used for those can get us.

Gutsy Girl Rookie

Refractory sprue? I've heard of it a few times but have no clue what it is. Guess I'm off to do some more reading.....

I'm in the same category with original poster of this topic. I've been gluten-free for 11 months but still having problems, some getting worse, and increased intolerances to foods that I used to be able to eat (soy, corn, some lactose-free dairy foods, etc).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gutsy Girl Rookie
GFinDC Veteran

That's a good article on refractory sprue F.A. Thanks for posting the link. :)

I felt much better when I fIrst went gluten free. But I didn't feel completely right. Over time I discovered other foods that were bothering me. Eliminating them made a big difference. Soy was a major improvement when I got rid of it. But I also have problems with dairy, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers), carrots, turnips, garbanzo beans, etc. If you have another food intolerance, or several, and you continually eat those problem foods, you just won't feel good. An elimination diet is a good way to figure other intolerances out.

dnwiebe Newbie

Yes, I'm sure it must be some other food bothering me. I haven't had any big changes in my life lately other than finishing school for the year and starting a summer job. I will start a food journal tomorrow morning and see where I go from there. Should I just start very basic, fruits and veggies and such? Or just continue to eat normally and track everything?

rachel-gf Newbie

I found that changing the proportions of what I was eating was helpful. Do try increasing vegetables, protein (meats), reducing starchy stuff (chips, bread). You may also want to try removing dairy for a while - it can cause bloating. Also be sure you don't have vitamin deficiencies. That could be wreaking havoc on your body as well. Now that your body is able to absorb food, it can get easier to put on weight. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Dggraha Newbie

Hey,

Amber I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with celiac Disease over 2 years ago and since this past winter I have been experiencing a relapse. I delt with Celiac disease my whole life and was constantly sick, or just completly misserable. My fear for food had developed into a mental issue and even though I still eat 100% gluten free, I will feel sick in times of stress. My mind has been conditioned to relate the stresses of life to my eating habits. Because feeling sick all the time stressed me out, now when Im stress I feel sick. This may or may not be the reason for my relapse, but I am going to find out because I refuse to live my life always in the dumps. I do not know if anyone else has this same issue?? but I wouldnt neglect the fact that Celiac disease is just more than an upset stomach. Research has proven the history of mental disorders have direct correlation with the development of the disease. How do you react to stress? Have you ever had a negative life changing event? Get the small things under control and they can help your stomach recover... Afterall, I never feel sick when doing something I love to do.

Comment please!, Derek

Archived