This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Uncontrollable Weight Gain

Rebecca Madrid

Rebecca Madrid Newbie

Has anyone actually started gaining weight after getting off gluten? While still eating it, my weight fluctuated between increasing and decreasing. Now that I have been off for about 3 months, I can't control my hunger, I feel dizzy and, at worst, disoriented when I don't eat, and I have put on maybe 8 pounds in the past month... this is all with having healthier foods and the strength to exercise again. Anyone had a similar issue??

Please help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Has anyone actually started gaining weight after getting off gluten? While still eating it, my weight fluctuated between increasing and decreasing. Now that I have been off for about 3 months, I can't control my hunger, I feel dizzy and, at worst, disoriented when I don't eat, and I have put on maybe 8 pounds in the past month... this is all with having healthier foods and the strength to exercise again. Anyone had a similar issue??

Please help.

Based on your symptoms I strongly recommend that you be tested for diabetes-ask for an oral Gtt and/or A1c. A fsting blood sugar or any one moment in time blood sugar check is not enough for an accurate diagnosis. It's nothing to be afraid of, just a test, just a fwe hours max out of your life and it is much better to know and be able to take care of it if it is a problem-very manageable the earlier it is diagnosed. Maybe just a little dietary adjustment would be enough to make you feel worlds better. But please get tested to rule it out. When you get the results, don't just accept neg. or positive. Ask for the numbers and learn what they mean. Knowledge is power.

seashele2 Newbie

Absolutely!!! There are three main reasons for me. 1) When my celiac was undiagnosed (for lots of years), my body couldn't absorb the nutrients from what I was eating. After my small intestine began to heal from removing gluten from my diet, it could. 2) Gluten-free replacements are all higher in calories and carbohydrates than their gluten based counterparts. (rice bread vs wheat flour bread, etc) 3) My metabolism had slowed down to a starvation mode to protect itself all those years of not absorbing nutrients. I am working with my doctor and a registered dietitian to try to restart my metabolism so I burn the calories I am eating instead of storing them. I gained 15 pounds the first year after going gluten-free and 5 pounds each of the years since. It's been 6 1/2 years and now I need to lose 45 pounds to get back to where I used to be.

My uncle was diagnosed within a month of me. He was the "classic" skinny, scrawny patient most doctors look for celiac in. He has put on a lot of weight in the last 6 years too, almost to the point of looking slightly chubby now.

I know lots of others who gained weight, some a little and some substantial amounts, after going gluten-free and healing their intestine. Only Elizabeth Hasselbeck thinks the gluten-free diet is a weight loss diet.

Michelle

Western Washington

Looking for answers Contributor

Had similar issues,my doctor tested me for Adrenal fatigue and I had it. He said many people with severe food allergies/celiac weaken their adrenals from the stress these conditions put on the body. Something to think about...it greatly affects metabolism, hypoglycemia, nutritional and hormal embalances, causes dizziness, fatigue, emotional issues, etc.

JennQ Newbie

I'm dealing with the same issue. I was diagnosed Nov 2009 and went gluten-free immediately. Within 3 months I put on 20lbs! And I started at a healthy weight. I've put on about 1lb a month after and now I'm finally feeling well enough to exercise fully. One week and no lose, which I'm not used to.

I'm meeting with a nutritionist in 2 weeks to see what can be done. It's frustrating because of everything we've given up to get this in return. I am going on month 7 though and finally feel a difference, so it's worth it ;)

runningcrazy Contributor

I gained 25 lbs in like 2 months. But then again I was only 80lbs because of the celiac.

Rebecca Madrid Newbie

Based on your symptoms I strongly recommend that you be tested for diabetes-ask for an oral Gtt and/or A1c. A fsting blood sugar or any one moment in time blood sugar check is not enough for an accurate diagnosis. It's nothing to be afraid of, just a test, just a fwe hours max out of your life and it is much better to know and be able to take care of it if it is a problem-very manageable the earlier it is diagnosed. Maybe just a little dietary adjustment would be enough to make you feel worlds better. But please get tested to rule it out. When you get the results, don't just accept neg. or positive. Ask for the numbers and learn what they mean. Knowledge is power.

Okay, might be something to look into, would that help to explain why my vision gets very hard to focus around 10-11am but about twenty minutes after lunch (around noon) I'm good to go? Also, the fatigue still hasn't gone away.

Do i schedule this type of testing through my doctor??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rebecca Madrid Newbie

Had similar issues,my doctor tested me for Adrenal fatigue and I had it. He said many people with severe food allergies/celiac weaken their adrenals from the stress these conditions put on the body. Something to think about...it greatly affects metabolism, hypoglycemia, nutritional and hormal embalances, causes dizziness, fatigue, emotional issues, etc.

How exactly do you test for this??

missy'smom Collaborator

Okay, might be something to look into, would that help to explain why my vision gets very hard to focus around 10-11am but about twenty minutes after lunch (around noon) I'm good to go? Also, the fatigue still hasn't gone away.

Do i schedule this type of testing through my doctor??

Yes, blood sugar changes can affect vision.

Your primary care should be able to do the test. Some OB/GYN's will run them too.

Blood sugar problems can cause fatigue. I asked for testing after being gluten-free for 2 years because I still felt more fatigued than I wanted to be. After being diagnosed with diabetes and managing it with diet, I felt much better.

Rebecca Madrid Newbie

Yes, blood sugar changes can affect vision.

Your primary care should be able to do the test. Some OB/GYN's will run them too.

Blood sugar problems can cause fatigue. I asked for testing after being gluten-free for 2 years because I still felt more fatigued than I wanted to be. After being diagnosed with diabetes and managing it with diet, I felt much better.

I'll have to get that done. Thanks so much for your help.

Counselor Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease November "09", my symptoms began 40+ years ago. I am not sure if that is even possible, but I have had the rash and gastro symptoms since I was very young. Since diagnosis I have gained 35 pounds.

I have been to a dietitian and a couple of other doctors, they don't seem to comprehend that something isn't working correctly.

I do have adrenal, thyroid, and iodine deficiencies; they are being treated with supplements and medication. But still I cannot seem to lose weight. I am hoping that somebody is doing research on what has been destroyed or at least changed in Celiac patients. The rules of fewer calories than what we use does not seem to apply.

I am beginning to believe that my body is holding on to weight for the next famine! Please respond with any information that I can read and share with my doctor.

Thank you!

Korwyn Explorer

Counselor,

Fat retention and storage in the adipose tissue is more a function of hormonal issues (metabolism and insulin resistance) than 'calories in/calories out'.

What is your average daily percentage caloric source breakdown (all carbs)/protein/fat) ?

If you want to read something that might really help you (it is a very dense read, took me 6 weeks to get through it) 'Good Calories, Bad Calories' by Gary Taube might help. It isn't a diet book it is an analysis and summary of the dietary research from the last 100 years to present and it completely turned my understanding of the dietary recommendations and guidelines upside down.

Archived