35 replies to this topic

#1 jknnej

jknnej

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

Has anyone here gone off the pill after being on it for a long time (2 or more years?) Any side effects? My doc says there shouldn't be but I want to make sure...
Jennifer
PS Did any of you feel better after stopping the pill?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:05 PM

I went off the pill about six months ago after being on it for four years or so. I didn't have any side effects at all, other than my period becoming heavier, which is normal. It's a decision I don't regret at all, as I was a bit nauseous on the pill and hated taking it every day.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

Many years ago I was on the pill (for about 3-4 years) to help regulate my irregular cycles. I was getting married and wanted to try to get pregnant, so I stopped taking the pill. It took about 6 months to have a cycle, then every 3 months for 2 cycles, then every 2 months for about 3-4 cycles. It took a good 2 years to get them regular and then I got pregnant. My cycles are regular now. I never felt sick taking the pills.

Earlier you posted about your continuing nausea and sick feeling. Maybe some of it could be from the pills. You shouldn't have too many bad side effects from stopping them (irregular cycles are very normal when you stop them), taking them can certainly cause problems for many women...

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:13 AM

I was on the pill for over 20 years before I went off at 37 (and promptly got pregnant - 3 months later). I felt good when I went off of them, like I had a little extra energy. My periods got heavier (which they were prior to going on it) and I had a bit more cramping (which I had prior to the pill as well) but other then that I didn't have any problems at all.

I don't think you will have any problems at all.... I've never gone back on, I like being Rx free if I can....

Susan

#5 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:01 AM

Susan-
Good to hear your transition was relatively easy. I have been on the pill since I was about 16. (No, I wasn't a high school nympho! :) I had several ovarian cysts rupture.) And my cramps were unbearable at times and had to take pain killers for them. I am hoping I might have out grown some of that, or that when I go off (to get pregnant I would assume), that it would happen asap ! I fear I will have to stay on them until I hit menopause. And I often wonder if I would feel better all around without them. hmmmm :unsure:

jknnej-- I wonder if your transition will depend upon how strong your pill is--like if it is a low or high hormone dosage. I take one of the lowest--ortho tri-cycline...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#6 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

I take the lowest possible pill-Aviane or the generic Alesse.
I think I will actually feel a lot better; I certainly hope so and I think it will help clear up the candida problems I am having!

#7 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

I had problems going off the pill - I tried a couple of times but would have really strong PMS reactions as a result. I was on it for 13 years. I did have cramping issues while on it, and what felt like a cyst at times. After going off of it, all this intensified and my period got a lot heavier. But my accupunctrist recommended I read "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Pre-Menopause" by Dr. John Lee, and learned about progesterone cream supplementation and that made all the difference for me. It's been 3.5 years now since I stopped and I still require progesterone supplementation (I'm going to be 34 next week) and have a lot of symptoms of estrogen dominance.

I keep hoping that the longer I am on a gluten-free diet and not stressing my system that my hormone issues will mellow out some.

For more about estrogen dominance, go to www.johnleemd.com and take the test.

It's worth it in the long run and it looks from the other posters that not everyone has the same experience I have had but I recommend getting off of it, too. Especially being that you are on a light dose one, now, may make it easier.

Take care

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#8 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

Boy! When I think of going off the pill though... don't think my husband would be too excited about that !
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#9 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

I take the lowest possible pill-Aviane or the generic Alesse.
I think I will actually feel a lot better; I certainly hope so and I think it will help clear up the candida problems I am having!

Hey! Sounds like you and I are having similar thoughts! I actually went off the pill (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo) just a few weeks ago. I did this because (1) I thought it might help me get rid of this yeast infection I've had for over a year, and (2) I'm not having sex anyway *because* of this yeast infection I've had for over a year! I'm 32 years old and have been taking the pill most of the time since I was 21. It's never been a big deal for me to go off of it - usually it has been better. Without that added hormone I have a much more stable emotional state and am not so prone to breakdowns (crying!). Fortunately, I've never really had cramps so that's not an issue for me. But I should start my period in a couple of days so I will let you know! ;)

As for clearing up the candida - well, there's been no help yet! It has actually been worse these past few weeks - probably due to an increased amount of stress and sickness (I've got a wicked case of bronchitis right now :()

I actually talked to a gastroenterologist who did a lecture on celiac and told him about it. He said that I probably can't get rid of it because my body is so weak now (from not being able to absorb nutrients). "I imagine that your body is so weak right now that it would have a really hard time fighting off infections." He also suggested that I take probiotics. Hopefully, after I've been gluten-free for a while, I'll be able to get rid of this. I hate it just like you do.

I'm trying to take a ton of vitamins and eat super healthy to build myself up again. Probably in about 3 months I'll try another round of diflucan/boric acid suppositories & whatever else my doctors can think of.

Good luck to you! Let me know if you find a miracle cure, would ya? ;)

- Michelle :wub:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#10 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

Michelle,
Did your doc try and give you Nystatin yet?
I know that worked really well for Kaiti on this board.
I am going to ask him about it on Tuesday.
I think the yeast might be the cause of all of my nausea...I get nauseated a lot lately, non pregnancy related.
I will let you know what happens...
Jennifer

#11 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

Jennifer,

Nope, I haven't tried Nystatin yet. I *have* done a lot with Diflucan - including 6 weeks of taking it every third day (which helped a little but it came back :() and then (just last month) taking it every day for 10 days and then another 72 hours later, while using boric acid vag. suppositories for two weeks. That was loads of fun, let me tell ya <_< Anyway - that last run didn't even touch it. The candida was just as bad at the end as it was in the beginning.

I'm having a hard time finding a doctor who actually believes in intestinal/systemic candida - who is also on my insurance plan. I'm enormously frustrated.

Good luck to you!!!!!!

How long have you been gluten-free? Did you have this before you knew that you had celiac disease?

Anyway... I wish you the best!

- Michelle

#12 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:23 PM

In order to get rid of the yeast infection, you also have to stop feeding the yeast. That means absolutely no white sugars, etc. for a little while. Being gluten-free will help. My daughter was so bad that we had to be really strict on her diet for several weeks as well as add yogurts and such, use the diflucan for an extended period of time, and keep her away from anything containing gluten. Once it cleared up, she has not had another one as long as she stays gluten-free. The minute she fudges or gets into something accidentally, that is the one of the first things that rears its ugly head.

If your yeast infection is vaginal, you can also douche with buttermilk mixed with a little warm water. Squeeze gently to release it instead of creating a geyser. You want the mix to remain there instead of washing away. If virginal, try painting the area with buttermilk. That even works with small children.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#13 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:39 AM

Hmmm I'd be worried about the buttermilk, it contains a natural sugar and sugars feed yeast... do you know why that works?

I can relate my own yeast story. I had an almost constant yeast infection for 2 years.... I took so much dulfican it was awful. It helped and then it would come back a week later. My ob sent me to a clinic for drug resistant yeast... nothing they did helped. My very natural friend who is from CA (now lives near me) sent me to some crazy health practitioner, who I don't believe is licensed in anything. I was desperate.

She cured me... it took about a month. This is what I did, use at your own risk, I had no problems with it at all and it worked like a charm, this was 3 years ago and I've not had a single yeast problem since.

I bought a small douche kit (the one I got is tiny kit by faultless) they hold about 12 oz. I also had to buy orgainc Tea Tree oil (sold at all health food stores). This is how you do it:

fill up the bag with warm water (just stick it under the bathroom fawcet). Then take a q-tip and stick it in the tea tree oil. Then stick the q-tip with the tea tree oil in the douche bag and swish it around for about 20 seconds or so, so that little bit of tea tree oil comes off in the warm water. Put the nozzle on and use it. On the first day I did this I did take a dulfican (I thought that would jump start things) I started out with the tea tree douche twice a day for about 10 days and then once a day. After a few days I had already felt somewhat better and I never took the dulfican again. After a month I felt cured and stopped it. I've never had to do this again.

If you research tea tree oil its a natural astringent, anti bacterial, anti yeast, anti everything. Again I struggled with this problem for a long time and tried everything, this worked like a charm for me.

Susan

#14 Turtle

Turtle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:16 AM

Last summer (end of June) I went off Ortho Tri Cyclen....heavier periods w/ increased cramping and ZITS! I looked like a teen going through puberty. So I went back on the pill, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo around Oct/Nov...I was having a period for 2 weeks at a time and even heavier bleeding and even more severe cramps. I then switched to Yasmin in Jan and since then....RELIEF!!!! Light periods (which is GREAT, skin has claered up and cramping is minimal. I've been looking to see if it's gluten-free but haven't found anything yet and haven't had time to e-mail the company. If anyone knows I'd love any feedback.
We want to start a family in the next few years. I admit, i'm dreading coming off the pill and having to go through the same "puberty" like symptoms, but I realize it could be worse and if it means a healthy baby then I can sacrafice looking zitty for awhile. HAHA!
Good luck and thanks for posting. Good question!
~Turtle~

#15 KayJay

KayJay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:23 AM

I went off the pill and went gluten-free at the same time so I am not sure what really helped me but I was very swollen and had gained over 25 pounds of water weight. They kept telling me it wasn't the pill but when I went off of it I went back to my normal size. Of course it could have been gluten making me swollen too. I guess I will never know because I will never go back on the pill. They made me sick and miserable. I didn't have any problems going off at all.
gluten-free since 2004!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: