35 replies to this topic

#16 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:13 AM

Anybody use acidophilus? I sing the praises. I had several infections--like 4 in a row, and was a mess. Now, whenever I feel one coming on, I take acidophilus right away, and I never get any infections. If I take an antibiotic for any reason, I also knock back the acidophilus. PS--(Hope no boys are reading this :) but I had to stop using tampons altogether too--they started giving me infections everytime I tried to use them ! That was a huge factor for me for some reason.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bean

bean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

I can relate my own yeast story.  I had an almost constant yeast infection for 2 years.... I took so much dulfican it was awful.  It helped and then it would come back a week later.  My ob sent me to a clinic for drug resistant yeast... nothing they did helped.  My very natural friend who is from CA (now lives near me) sent me to some crazy health practitioner, who I don't believe is licensed in anything.  I was desperate.

She cured me... it took about a month.  This is what I did, use at your own risk, I had no problems with it at all and it worked like a charm, this was 3 years ago and I've not had a single yeast problem since.

I bought a small douche kit (the one I got is tiny kit by faultless) they hold about 12 oz.  I also had to buy orgainc Tea Tree oil (sold at all health food stores).  This is how you do it:

fill up the bag with warm water (just stick it under the bathroom fawcet).  Then take a q-tip and stick it in the tea tree oil.  Then stick the q-tip with the tea tree oil in the douche bag and swish it around for about 20 seconds or so, so that little bit of tea tree oil comes off in the warm water.  Put the nozzle on and use it.    On the first day I did this I did take a dulfican (I thought that would jump start things) I started out with the tea tree douche twice a day for about 10 days and then once a day.  After a few days I had already felt somewhat better and I never took the dulfican again.  After a month I felt cured and stopped it.  I've never had to do this again. 

If you research tea tree oil its a natural astringent, anti bacterial, anti yeast, anti everything.  Again I struggled with this problem for a long time and tried everything, this worked like a charm for me.

Susan

Susan,

I just heard the other night that my grandma used an all vegetable & meat diet combined with the tea tree oil douche to get rid of her chronic yeast infection. Were you on that type of diet too or did you just use the tea tree stuff? And just a drop per 12 oz. ? Sounds like it's probably worth a try! Did it burn at all?

I am a HUGE proponent of tea tree oil. I think the stuff is amazing. If you ever get a cold sore or a cancer sore and put a dab on it (full strength) it will usually be gone within two days! That stuff is awesome!

Right now I am trying to improve my diet (one day at a time, geez!) but am still eating a lot of fruits. I've heard that fruit can impede healing when you have candida because of all the sugars. Is this true? :(

I'm also going to start a regimen of grapefruit seed extract (tablets) - 4/day for a couple of months. That is another natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-everything. And then I'll be taking probiotics to go with it! (A couple hours apart, so it doesn't kill those too!)

I *really* hope this works! I am sooooo tired of this. Did you guys ever read the post I put up regarding candida *causing* celiac disease to spring up? That really scares me. Apparently, candida has the same protein sequence as gluten - so I wonder if by allowing it to grow inside of me I am preventing my villi from healing? :( Yikes!

If that's the case I have got to get this under control!!

Thanks to everyone who is responding!!!

- Michelle :wub:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#18 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:38 AM

Here's what I'm talking about: (from the link http://www.denvernat...ews/celiac.html )

"Now we come to what to me is the most interesting of the recent research regarding celiac. It seems fitting that the research again comes from Holland , where celiac disease was first linked to diet. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, from the research group TNO Nutrition and Food Research, published a paper in the June, 2003, Lancet. He links celiac disease with Candida albicans. Dr. Nieuwenhuizen, knowing the actual sequence of proteins which trigger celiac disease from the published work of other scientists, had searched the databases available to him through TNO to see if the same sequence existed in other places. It turns out the identical sequence of proteins occur in the cell walls of Candida albicans. [15]"

and

"If Candida can trigger the same chemical and immunological reactions as wheat gluten do we can imagine a number of interesting implications.
First, in people with celiac disease, symptoms usually get better rapidly when they eliminate gluten from their diet. This isn't always the case. Even without gluten some people continue to have symptoms. They may have intestinal Candidiasis. The Candida in their gut may be acting like gluten and continues triggering symptoms. "

#19 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

I went off the pill about four years ago, after having been on it for three. For me, it helped a lot of non-specific symptoms, and the vulvar vestibulitis that I have. My cycles have been more consistent, but the cramps are as bad as they were before taking the pill again. (I use FAM these days, along with barrier methods.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#20 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 04:29 AM

Hi Michelle,

I didn't use any more then a fully saturated q-tip with the 12 oz of warm water but I did really soak it and took it right from the tea tree bottle to the warm water so there may have been a drop on it at times and then swished it around.

It doesn't sting at all this way, it actually felt good. Again I used it 2 times a day for maybe 10 days or so then went to once a day. I think after 30 days or so I went to like every 3rd day for a few days then just stopped. I was really afraid that it was going to come back, I had hassled with it for so long and the medical community had totally thrown up their hands with me and just said, its drug resistant yeast and probably in a few years your body will fight it. A few years!!!! No way. I wasn't going to even entertain that idea, when I left the clinic I just cried and was at the point where I'd do anything.

This really worked for me. I love tea tree now too and use it in a variety of ways... seems to be good for just about anything. The only diet change I made while I was doing this was I stopped all sweets and sugar (as best I could but I did pretty well) I still ate fruit but not a lot of it. I'm sure I did get some sugar.... but I didn't eat sweets and stopped using it in my tea. I slowly went back to having some sugar again, I was so afraid that I'd get yeast again but its never come back.

Susan

#21 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:59 AM

Going off the pill can help reduce yeast infections (estrogen in the body allows yeast to attach to tissue much more readily than without it, hence it's only menstrating women who regularly get yeast infections). Genitian violet - an old remedy for yeast infections before antifungals - can also be very effective, if very very messy (it stains everything!), apparently.

Another thing to consider is that Diflucan is species specific - and about 20% (if I recall correctly) of yeast infections are not the typical C. albicans species. You may want to get the species typed.

And, finally, if the yeast diagnosis isn't being made by a lab test at this point, demand one. I have a condition called vular vestibulitis, and a LOT of us with it are mistakenly diagnoses with yeast infections for a LONG time. (It's similar to celiac in many ways... Some people think there may be a connection, but it's not really researched scientifically.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#22 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:18 PM

the buttermilk has acidophilus, etc. is the reason it works. You can also treat the intestinal stuff with capsules or tablets of it. We did that for an extended period of time to ensure that it did not have a chance to regrow.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#23 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

What is vular vestibulitis?
I tried tea tree oil suppositories, yeast defense, which has everything you guys have stated above, acidophilus, diflucan,etc.
I have tried everything.
I firmly believe I MUST go off the pill before I can clear this up. it's been over a year that I've had this infection and nothing has worked.
I had really bad periods before but then again, I was only 18 when I went on the pill. Now I'm almost 29. My periods might be different as teens often have more troubles that clear up later in life.
If my cramps/period are still terrible I will go back on the pill at a later date.
Maybe it is just this specific pill? Maybe I should ask to switch to another... That might be better.
I think I will definitely try going off the pill first and see if it helps. I've met several women who said they could not get rid of the yeast until they went off of it, then poof, it was gone! Let's hope that helps me as well.

#24 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:50 PM

#25 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

I see a direct correlation for some of us with nausea and gluten-free diets.
I know many people here used to have nausea and it got better when they went gluten-free, but for the other half of us, we never had nausea before going gluten-free!
I always had stomach aches but they were always bloating/gas/diarrhea in nature..no nausea.
Now I am nauseated 24/7 since going gluten-free..I just don't get it.
I will ask my dr. about it tomorrow but since many doctors don't know much about celiac disease I will not assume he can help.

#26 Guest_madissoninva1_*

Guest_madissoninva1_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:47 AM

I went off the pill a couple of months before I got married, thinking that, being celiac, being a little older (I'm 34) and having been on the pill for over ten years, it would take a while to get pregnant. I got pregnant one week after going off the pill. So, just be careful if you're not completely ready to become pregnant. I had honestly hoped to wait about a year and to let the birth control get out of my system. Everyone else I know had to wait months before they were able to get pregnant.

I had spotting/bleeding for two months after going off the pill, which my doctor said was normal. Thus, I didn't realize I was pregnant for a while since I felt like I was having mini periods constantly. I am now due the end of December.

#27 bean

bean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:14 AM

Just thought I'd update:

I've been off the pill for two months now and guess what!?! I still have a yeast infection and don't feel any different at all.

However, I *did* start taking Brevail and it has done miraculous things for my mood swings & level of irritation. It's a supplement to help regulate your hormones. They intended it solely for the purpose of preventing breast cancer but then found out (from people writing in to the company) that it has the side effect of preventing PMS & other fun emotional rollercoaster events!

I love it and don't think I'll ever stop taking it :) My boyfriend has offered to buy more for me if I ever run out :P I just started taking it about 2 weeks ago and have not had a crisis since then - which is really a long time for me.

Skbird is also trying it and last time I talked to her it was having similar effects. Maybe she will post here..? (STEPHANIE WHERE ARE YOU? :))

Anyway - I don't think going off the pill has done jack. I'll probably be getting back on it soon. Nothing fun about wanting to have unplanned umm... relations.. and not being able to! ;)

p.s. I know that I suggest a lot of supplements, and I take a lot of them, but this Brevail stuff is the one thing I make sure I never miss. And if I don't take it at my usual time, I notice it a few hours later. (I start getting irritated/anxious for no reason) I think my body needs it. Who knows! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michelle :)

Positive blood tests 4/29/05 (tTG & IgA)
*Osteoporosis (at 32!)
*Heartburn/Reflux (*ouch!*)
*Lifelong battle w/depression
*Dental enamel didn't form right when I was little (cavities cavities cavities)
*Neuropsych analysis lists all sorts of learning disabilities - which may be attributed to brain injury from an old accident or may be from celiac, who knows!

Had biopsy May 11th, 2005 - villi are FLAT! :(
gluten-free since May 11th :)

#28 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:19 AM

I haven't had a period in well over a year and my doctor told me I was going to have to go on the pill. I am guessing most brands are gluten free?
I LOVE JESUS!

#29 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

OK, I have to back up Michelle here on Brevail. I have had hormone problems forever it seems and I was on the pill for 13 years. I went off and had a lot of problems so I have gone on and off using progesterone cream which does help some but not with all the symptoms I seem to have (tender breasts, wicked mood swings, incredible insomnia the week before my period, hideous cramps....)

Anyway, Michelle told me about Brevail which is a supplement that is made of flax lignans - something I thought I should be fine with as I take high lignan flax oil every day and also 2 tbsp of finely ground flax meal, but guess that wasn't enough or the right proportions or the right preparation. I started using Brevail about 2 weeks ago and have not had one cranky mood since. My husband is amazed, I am amazed... I seriously spend each day feeling more pleasant. Dumb stuff hasn't been getting me down.

I realize this probably sounds like an infomercial and I apologize for that. I am really impressed so far. I am about 10 days away from the start of my next period so this will be the real test and I'll let you know how it works for me. So far I am still having breast tenderness but my moods are so much better I don't really care...

So there's my testimonial. I'll get back to this thread after I've gone an entire month to give a report. So far I say it's a really good thing.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#30 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:25 AM

Oh yeah, here's the cheapest place I found for it online - I put "Brevail" in Froogle.com and found this. If you look to the right on the page and save the coupon code, they give you $1 off your order.

http://www.myvitanet...15eafor2or.html

I have absolutely no financial interest in this product and hadn't heard of it until Michelle told me about it. I felt different the very first day I took it. I am surprised that concentracted flax lignans could make such a change in my mood.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: