2 replies to this topic

#1 wildones

wildones

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 08:59 PM

Anyone know of any studies that show that celiac patients have an increased risk of colon cancer ?? I have heard that there is an increased risk of small bowel cancer, but am also very interested in colon cancer risks. Both of my boys have celiac disease, and one of them also had 70 % of his small intestines removed after he had NEC (severe bowel infection, after a reaction to milk based formula) as a newborn. On his initial positive biopsy for celiac, they found increased lymphocytes. His subsequent biopsy showed an improvement.
My husband also had the familial polyposis gene (colon cancer) and has a very strong family history of colon cancer and deaths from it. My husband has polyps that he has regular colonoscopies for. My son with most of his intestines gone has all the markers for having the colon cancer gene also :( .
He was only recently diagnosed (9 months ago) and is 7-1/2 yrs old. He obviously had been exposed to a lot of gluten, and it concerns me what increased risk he may be at for developing colon cancer. He has already had a colonoscopy, with no polyps found, yet and hopefully never will be found.
Any info/studies would be appreciated. I am also praying that the risk diminished, or is even negated once the patient is gluten free.
thanks
Lorraine

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:33 AM

I do not have a particular link for you pointing to colon cancer but here is a helpful link from this website on disease's associated with Celiac Disease, I hope it helps.

http://www.celiac.co...-11104292189.26

#3 wildones

wildones

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for your response, I have seen that link before. I wrote to one of the drs who wrote one of the articles, and he said my son was unique, so not too many out there like him I guess.
Lorraine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: