6 replies to this topic

#1 siglfritsch

siglfritsch

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Would a jar of mixed nuts be somehow contaminated with wheat? The label read only the nuts, nothing else even added. At a support group meeting someone said to buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself because sometimes the pre-shredded is mixed with flour so it doesn't stick together. Wouldn't that have to be on the label? Also if corn torillas only list corn as an ingredient could they contain gluten? Sorry if my questions are dumb, but I"m a newbie and this is all very confusing.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

I have heard of flavored nuts containing gluten, but never plain ones.

If wheat flour were added to shredded cheese, it would have to be listed as an ingredient. I have never seen a case where it is. If you doubt that, you can always choose Kraft--they will never hide gluten.

If corn is the only ingredient, then there is no gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

I have heard of flavored nuts containing gluten, but never plain ones.

If wheat flour were added to shredded cheese, it would have to be listed as an ingredient. I have never seen a case where it is. If you doubt that, you can always choose Kraft--they will never hide gluten.

If corn is the only ingredient, then there is no gluten.

It's true that if they do not list gluten containing ingredients that it does not, except in the case of when they use the word "flavors" or "spices" it could possibly contain barley.

The other thing you have to be careful of is although they may not contain gluten ingredients they may be cross contaminated because of being made on shared equipment or in facility that produces other products that contain gluten.

I have found that any tortillas can be tricky, because most companies make both four and corn tortillas. Nuts are tricky too, I have not yet found a brand that does not have a risk of cross contamination, but I have only been looking into this for a short time and have not been able to devote a lot of time to it.

I have found that cross contamination is a problem with a lot of things that "should" be safe.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

In the case of when they use the word "flavors" or "spices" it could possibly contain barley.

Barley can hide in flavors, but never in "spices." "Seasonings" is another ball game, though.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

I have found that any tortillas can be tricky, because most companies make both four and corn tortillas. Nuts are tricky too, I have not yet found a brand that does not have a risk of cross contamination, but I have only been looking into this for a short time and have not been able to devote a lot of time to it.

I think you would be fine with Mission brand corn tortillas. I saw a program on the tube about their factory. They have 4 dedicated lines making nothing but corn tortillas.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 clevercate

clevercate

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum. Right now I am doing my " homework". I've been looking for safe -to-eat mixed nuts and found this:

http://www.nuts.com/...nuts/mixednuts/

"We are Certified Gluten-Free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO). The GFCO certification meets more stringent requirements for gluten-free products than federal guidelines. Certification assures that the product contains less than 10ppm gluten (5ppm gliadin). No testing method is available that measures to zero."

Hope this helps. :D

#7 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:30 AM

Techically anything could contain gluten if it is made on shared lines.  You not only have to read the ingredients but look for that statement as well.  

I have heard the statement about cheese but have never actually seen any with wheat in it.

Nuts from Costco, Trader Joes and also Walmart can be made on shared lines.  Always read every part of the label.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: