7 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor

Taylor

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 09:02 AM

Hi everyone, I just stumbled across this sight today and joined up. I was diagnosed with celiac disease around 2 years ago. I was 24 years old when I was diagnosed, and needless to say it was a shock. I am 6'2" and was always very skinny despite the fact that I ate everything in sight. The weeks prior to me being diagnosed I was loosing weight very rapidly, I got down to 119 lbs. Long story short, I have been very strict about my food intake, and currently weigh 210 pounds. I look forward to being a participant on this board. From the few posts that I have read so far it looks like there are some people on here with a very good understanding of being a celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Blackheartedwolf_*

Guest_Blackheartedwolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:07 AM

Hello

I just joined too. I found almost 2 weeks ago that I have celiac disease, and have been on the gluten-free diet now since 2-23-04. (Just starting.) I already feel better.

I have noticed that people say different things on different boards, about what is safe and what is not. It's kind of frustrating for a newly diagnosed person! At first I thought I couldn't have any soda that is brown colored because of the caramel coloring, but companies like Coca Cola and Pepsi say they are gluten-free.

It gets easier as I learn what is safe and what is not. I carry a binder with me when I go shopping, and have to keep looking things up on my lists!

#3 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:57 AM

Welcome Taylor and Blackheartedwolf!!!

We are glad you found us :D This is a wonderful place filled with a lot of information!

I am glad to hear that the both of you are feeling better on the gluten-free diet! I know I could tell a difference within just a couple of days, it was AMAZING! I never knew that something called "gluten" could cause that much abdominal pain and other symptoms!

I thought I would share a few links that have been helpful to me over the last 6 months, I hope they are helpful to you as well....

Mainstream gluten-free products

celiac disease Support Groups

What it's like having celiac disease

Kinnikinnick Foods - which has wonderful gluten-free bread and bagels!!!!!

#4 Taylor

Taylor

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:55 AM

I too felt better almost instantly. I was very worried at first that I was not going to be able to eat anything. I found out pretty quick that my diet did not have to be changed too drastically. I am a meat and potatoes guy anyway, so my diet stays pretty bland. I travel quite a lot, so that was a challenge at first. I always try to find an Outback Steakhouse close to my hotel when I am out of town. I like that they have a special gluten free menu. I don't eat any fast food just to stay on the safe side. If I go to a fancier retaraunt I just talk to the chef, and they are always able to accomidate you.

Blackheartedwolf- I don't drink a lot if pop, but I was glad to see I could still drink the kinds I like. I am not sure if Pepsi products are gluten free. I know most of the Coke products are.

#5 wclemens

wclemens

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:05 AM

Hi,

I especially like the sodas I drink, and wonder if perhaps drinking certain sodas is something that each person has to test out themselves, just to see how they react?

I have learned that I can drink Diet Rite Raspberry soda, Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper, A&W Diet Root Beer, and Canfield's Diet Chocolate Soda (which is really a blessing because milk chocolate is on my list of forbidden foods).

There may be others which I could tolerate, but those are the ones I've chosen so far. I've had Celiac for the past 51 years, so have had a lot of time to test certain foods out. I've learned that all grains, milk, dairy, casein, whey, egg whites, and yeast get to me.

Hope you all thrive on your new diets! Welda

#6 KAthyB

KAthyB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:09 AM

ToBlackheartedwolf. My son and I are working on wireless site http://www.safetoeat.net so you can leave your binder home. It is free and can be used on any web enabled cell phone. The database is constantly growing as I am working on it in my spare time. Good Luck!
KathyB

#7 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 10:24 AM

Hi. I'm new to the site. I have been searching for any help and support for gluten intloerance, and instead found problem intolerance! No one wants to know or help! I hope I can find what I need here. Since going gluten-free on Valentine's Day, my health has drastically improved, so I am not going back!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#8 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 06:25 AM

I have been reading and reading and reading, and decided that I love this site! I learned that Pria bars are not gluten-free, (but too late, I already ate several before learning) and that others have the same frustrations and problems. Thank you for being here! :rolleyes:
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: