#1 conniebky

conniebky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

:ph34r:

My daughter has friend that work/ed at Wendy's I absolutely love their chili.

They have all said, at one time or another, that the burgers that aren't sold that day or in a certain amount of time, are used as such: they take the top and bottom bun off, scrape all the condiments off and chop up the meat and make the chili with that meat.

Has anyone had a reaction to Wendy's chili?
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

I personally don't eat at fast food restaurants because I just don't trust the workers and/or practices, having once worked in one during high school. Either way though, I never eat chili out because I find it to be one of the most riskiest foods, and soups as well. Flour is often used as a thickener.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Flour is not used a a thickener in Wendy's chili and if workers are recycling old burgers then they are violating Wendy's policies and probably some health laws. The chili is on their gluten-free list. Besides, I didn't think that Wendy's burgers were put on buns and condiments put on ahead of time.

richard

#4 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Flour is not used a a thickener in Wendy's chili and if workers are recycling old burgers then they are violating Wendy's policies and probably some health laws. The chili is on their gluten-free list. Besides, I didn't think that Wendy's burgers were put on buns and condiments put on ahead of time.

richard

I know, that's why I felt it important to post this information. It's not like we were all sitting around talking about gluten...these are teenagers just talking about their jobs. They do pre-dress the burgers at height times, like lunch.

I love Wendy's, and I love their chili and the other day when I stopped to get some, I remembered what these kids said so I skipped the chili and got a baked potato instead and it was wonderful.

I just felt it was important to share this information, that's all.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#5 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

I've eaten Wendy's chili numerous times without issue. I suspect that what you're talking about is an isolated incident. Something that these workers do at this restaurant only, maybe? I can't imagine that the rest of the workers at the rest of the chain do the same thing. At least, I sure hope not! :blink:

Of course, eating at restaurant that serves wheat products is always a bit of a risk. You never know if the workers are following protocol or not.
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#6 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

I've heard the same thing about the patties being taken off of the buns, but I mentioned it on here once and was told I was wrong haha. Chili is on their gluten-free list but it does say may contain wheat. I personally don't eat it but I have a Celiac friend (who does not react as badly as I do) and she eats it all the time. I've had it twice and felt awful both times.

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

This would be against all health laws and Wendy's own policies. If you know for certain this is happening, you need to report it to your county health department restaurant division. I would also make sure you informed Wendy's headquarters. The food poisoning implications of this practice are immense. Please, Connie, report this to the health department for everyone's safety if the Wendys near you is doing this.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

My daugther, son and I flew into SLC last month late at night, and Wendy's was the only place still open that had a gluten free menu so we stopped and ate there. We both ordered the chili and were both sick that night and into the next morning. That was my first time ordering food from Wendy's since going gluten free. My son, who does not have celiac disease, also ate the chili and he was fine, so we figured it was CC with gluten. Not sure, but we both had our usual reaction that we have when we get gluten. We have not been back. It makes since that the meat could of been CC.

#9 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

We've eaten Wendy's chili countless times and never had a problem. Many locations, many times. Never a problem.

#10 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

I've never had trouble at Wendy's. I like to get a small chili and a baked potato. I agree about calling corporate and the health department if that particular Wendy's is recycling burgers into the chili.

#11 MRM

MRM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

the last time my kids and i had chili and a baked potato from Wendy's we all had stomach problems. i don't plan on eating there anytime in the near future.

#12 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

I think Chili from anywhere gives people stomach problems :blink:

I had a grilled chicken with tomato, lettuce and honey mustard sauce and I put it on a Against the Grain toasted roll......oh man did that hit the spot. I made my own Ore-Ida fries to go with it which were way better than the ones Wendy's has.

To each his own!

#13 brendygirl

brendygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

I've also had Wendy's Chili countless times and never reacted. My friend loved their chili so much, he'd buy it to make chili dogs at home with it.
I'm never surprised to see the people who don't eat fast food but do waste their time reading threads about it....
I personally travel a lot and am going on a 2 week road trip, so Wendy's has been a lifesaver many a time when I've been famished and just couldn't fathom another Lara bar or piece of fruit.

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

#14 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

just couldn't fathom another Lara bar or piece of fruit.

Lara bars are cruel and unusual punishment. :o

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

Lara bars are cruel and unusual punishment. :o

I thought I was the only person who didn't like them.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: