This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So What Exactly Is 'normal'?

concernedmamma

concernedmamma Explorer

I figured, that of all places, this would be the best to talk about poop!

My son (age 5) was diagnosed via blood work and edoscopy/biopsy and has been gluten free since the end of March. We have seen definite improvement, however, I am not sure exactly how much better we are doing. He still has 2-5 stools a day. Probably averages around 3. Although the consistency has thickened somewhat, the QUANTITY is what concerns me most. I can't believe it is normal for a child to stool this much! Just to add other yummy details, the consistency is close to a soft formed stool. It usually will keep its shape in the water.

Are there any tried and true guidelines for what would be considered 'normal' for quantity and consistency of stools? Do I need to give him a bit longer to heal, or should I look closer at his diet- could I be missing something? I know many people need to remove milk from their diet while their gut heals. Does that sound like the case here? I REALLY don't want to do this just to try it- he is such a milk-hound, is would be so hard on him. He has been so good about all of these changes, I don't want to make it more restrictive unless I have to.

Thanks for your help!

Kim, Mommy to.....

6 yr daughter

5 yr twin boys

11 month old daughter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

uafnanook2001 Newbie

My son (age 5) was diagnosed via blood work and edoscopy/biopsy and has been gluten free since the end of March. We have seen definite improvement, however, I am not sure exactly how much better we are doing. He still has 2-5 stools a day. Probably averages around 3. Although the consistency has thickened somewhat, the QUANTITY is what concerns me most. I can't believe it is normal for a child to stool this much! Just to add other yummy details, the consistency is close to a soft formed stool. It usually will keep its shape in the water.

Are there any tried and true guidelines for what would be considered 'normal' for quantity and consistency of stools? Do I need to give him a bit longer to heal, or should I look closer at his diet- could I be missing something? I know many people need to remove milk from their diet while their gut heals. Does that sound like the case here? I REALLY don't want to do this just to try it- he is such a milk-hound, is would be so hard on him. He has been so good about all of these changes, I don't want to make it more restrictive unless I have to.

Thanks for your help!

Kim, Mommy to.....

6 yr daughter

5 yr twin boys

11 month old daughter

KIM:

PUT YOUR SON ON A LACTOSE-FREE DIET FOR JUST 14 DAYS. YOU'LL KNOW PRETTY QUICKLY IF MILK IS HIS PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK!

MONA

mushroom Proficient

There are plenty of good-tasting milks out there - rice (but not Rice Dream - it has gluten), almond, hemp. I would personally probably not do soy at this point until you find out if this is a problem too. Start off by putting it on his cereal and get him used to the taste.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I really like almond milk, and if he wont drink the regular you could try vanilla flavoured.

sa1937 Community Regular

I recently bought Lactaid milk as I suspect I'm also lactose intolerant after going gluten free on April 9. The carton says it's 100% lactose free. It tastes the same as regular milk, at least to me. I wasn't aware of having any problems with milk prior to going gluten free.

I also picked up Lactaid tablets, but they sure didn't do a thing for me when I tested them by having ice cream on Fri. night. mad.gif

conniebky Collaborator

My mom who is horribly lactose intolerant cannot drink Lactaid milk, but she does use the Lactaid pills.

The only milk she can "stomach" (PARDON THE PUN lol!)is Silk.

sa1937 Community Regular

I planned to pick up some other milk to try yesterday (almond or rice) but was stumped as to what to buy. But I was in Wal-Mart and just wanted to get the hell out of there! lol Will look further at a regular grocery store.

I did, however, find gluten free Asian Helper (Chicken Fried Rice) for $1.50 and General Mills gluten free Nature Valley Almond Crunch for $2.68 for 6 bars. In addition to some other grocery products, most of my money was spent on produce. biggrin.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

From what I've read, 3 times a day is not considered abnormal. When I questioned our GI about it he said there is a huge range for "normal." If your only concern is the number of times per day I wouldn't worry about it. Or at least I wouldn't worry about it until you talked to your doctor about it.

That said, I noticed a difference when I gave my son Pro-biotics. We use Yum Yum somethings.

jsmjboertlein Rookie

Cow milk tears up my 4 year old. He can, however, drink goat's milk. It's super creamy so we cut in in half with water and you can't tell the difference From that or cow's milk. It's pricey, but you can buy it at Wal-Mart. It's about $13.00 a gallon.

tensmama Newbie

I would love to know the answer to this as well. My DS has the same issue. We've been gluten-free since November (and he's always been dairy free) but it sure seems like his stools are massively large for a 3 year old. I don't know if it means he has trace amounts of gluten in his diet, he has additional food sensitivities or if it is perhaps normal??

mushroom Proficient

It is possible that the actual quantity of stool will diminish as his gut heals and he starts absorbing nutrients better. If most of what he is eating is passing through and no being taken in by the body, that could account for a larger mass of stool. Just a thought.

philandkyle Newbie

I don't know the answer, but I am currently trying a few things with my 4 year old. He loves silk vanilla almond milk. I am going to take soy out of his diet as well. I have talked to several people who are sensitive to it as well as glutien.

Good luck.

Beth03456 Newbie

Thanks for your help!

Kim, Mommy to.....

6 yr daughter

5 yr twin boys

11 month old daughter

My son was 3 at diagnosis and is coming up on a year of being gluten-free (yay?). He was tested at 6 months post-diagnosis and his IGA-TTG was back in the normal range. However, he still poops a lot during the day - usually 3 times. They are solid and generally normal looking, so I assume its normal for him. We have never taken him off milk, as his doctor didn't think it was necessary, and he loves milk so it would be hard for him. He is still at a low %, but it could be genetic. He has gained weight and height in the past year. Anyway, I do plan to mention it to his doctor at our next appointment next month, but so far it seems normal.

Archived