Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Free Sandwich Wraps

4 posts in this topic

Thought i would share this amazing sandwich wrap recipe. I have made it many times and it turns out great everytime. I have added optional ingredients like black olives, feta cheese, roasted garlic, and sun dried tomoatoes. I have found that using parchment paper greased and floured works the best for me. Also using a wet spoon makes the spreading easier.

Gluten Free Sandwich Wraps

Ingredients

1 cup fine brown rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca starch

2 Tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons xanthan gum

1 Tablespoon instant yeast

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 c. water

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

2 Tablespoons EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

2 eggs

2-3 Tablespoons sweet rice flour (for dusting pan/hands)

Directions

Mix together all dry ingredients except sweet rice flour (brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthan gum, yeast and salt).

In a heavy mixer, combine wet ingredients (water, vinegar, oil, and eggs).

Slowly add dry ingredients to well blended wet ingredients.

Beat on medium/medium high speed for 4 minutes.

Dust a large jelly roll pan with flour (or oil bottom of pan and lightly dust oiled pan).

Scrap dough onto oiled/dusted pan and press as thinly as possible. (fill pan)

Using a fork, tap indentations across the entire dough.

Place dough in a warm spot, allow to rest/rise for 35-40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425F.

Bake for 11-15 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.

It wil come out of the oven with a slight crust that will go away as the bread cools. Allow the bread to cool 15-30 minutes before using. It will become flexible and soft.

Cut into large pieces to use as a folded sandwich bread

Tip *** Leaving the bread wrapped in a ziplock bag on the counter overnight will preserve the flexibility.

Ads by Google:

Oh I am SO making this. I miss sandwiches so much. A lady at work was eating one today and I got literally jealous.

Where do you buy xanthan gum and tapioca starch? Are they available at most markets?

I am so gonna make this.... :)

Oh I am SO making this. I miss sandwiches so much. A lady at work was eating one today and I got literally jealous.

Where do you buy xanthan gum and tapioca starch? Are they available at most markets?

You should be able to buy tapioca starch in your grocery store, and xanthan gum you might have to go to a natural food store. I live in Canada and i buy all my supplies at a bulk food store. You might end up like me and make 4 batches in one week. I think i ate sandwiches for lunch supper and maybe the odd breakfast!!!

Sorry i just remember tapocia starch and tapoica flour are the same thing. There is no difference.