15 replies to this topic

#1 M&M LOVER

M&M LOVER

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

ok, so i got diagnosed with celiac disease and one of my favorite candygars is milky ways and i cant find anywhere where it says whether or not there gluten free!!??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

ok, so i got diagnosed with celiac disease and one of my favorite candygars is milky ways and i cant find anywhere where it says whether or not there gluten free!!??

Regular Milky Ways are not gluten-free. They contain both wheat flour and malted barley.

http://www.milkywayb...html#question03
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 DownWithGluten

DownWithGluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Aren't dark chocolate milky ways gluten free? I thought so but have been too scared to try. The info should be available somewhere, though. I would avoid them though, personally.

Regular Snicker's are gluten free, I eat them with no problem. Not the same as a milky way, but...something, anyway.
Gluten-free since January, 2007

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Aren't dark chocolate milky ways gluten free? I thought so but have been too scared to try. The info should be available somewhere, though. I would avoid them though, personally.

Regular Snicker's are gluten free, I eat them with no problem. Not the same as a milky way, but...something, anyway.

Yes the dark milky ways are gluten free. I eat at least 2 a week.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Lily127

Lily127

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

So M&M's, Dark Milky Ways, Snickers and Butterfingers are good? That's a pretty nice selection. I'm sure there are more but these would tide me over nicely!! Especially M&M's. Yummm!! Though I'm still mad they changed the tan color to blue LOL

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

So M&M's, Dark Milky Ways, Snickers and Butterfingers are good? That's a pretty nice selection. I'm sure there are more but these would tide me over nicely!! Especially M&M's. Yummm!! Though I'm still mad they changed the tan color to blue LOL

I hated the tan ones as a child. Would pick them out and try to throw them away when my parents weren't looking. For some reason I thought they tasted less chocolatey than the dark brown ones. Those were my favorite. Although I was happy they got rid of them, I did not like the blue ones. I just think blue food is wrong.

I have a friend who claims she can taste the red coloring in foods and that it tastes bad. Ever since then I think I do notice a difference with some things. Not things like cherry candy, but in things where the candies are all different colors but the same flavor. Like M & Ms. I do notice a difference.

#7 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Two things:

1) If ANY of your candy bars have HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) put it back on the shelf.
2) Stick with all natural dark chocolate bars (high in anti-oxidants)

~Wheatfreedude~
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic
Avid Snowboarder and Surfer
Over 40 and single digit body fat
Getting stronger every week

#8 nicole0392

nicole0392

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:41 AM

is it only plain m&m's or can you eat the peanut butter ones as well? if so what about reese's pieces?

#9 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:08 AM

High Fructose Corn Syrup is fine in moderation....no one has to put their candy back on the shelf! I mean, you have impressive abs so I'm sure you don't eat candy but a lot of us don't look like that and tend to enjoy a snickers now and then....but you...you go on with your bad self and that rockin 100 pack! :P

#10 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:10 AM

I'm on the 'HFCS is bad' bandwagon as well. I don't think it's a good idea even in moderation.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

I'm on the 'HFCS is bad' bandwagon as well. I don't think it's a good idea even in moderation.

Toss me on that wagon also.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

I agree--I completely avoid it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#13 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

I'm with you! Daughter knows if it's in there, to put it back.

#14 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

I agree--I completely avoid it.

Me too!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#15 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

is it only plain m&m's or can you eat the peanut butter ones as well? if so what about reese's pieces?

Nope, don't go for the Reeses Pieces :( But peanut butter and peanut M&Ms are fine. Anything but the pretzel ( self explanatory :unsure: ) Reeses peanut butter cups are good, too. Hershey's plain and almond, regular size bars, too! (Guess you can tell which wagon I ride on :D )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: