This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whats For Breakfast

Sarah2889

Sarah2889 Newbie

I am new to the gluten free world. I am going on my 2 week gluten free (GOO ME!)

The hardest part I have found is finding something for breakfast! Most traditional breakfast material contain gluten (muffins, toast, ect) I am getting pretty tired of eating eggs and bacon every morning and I don't have time to cook every morning. Any suggestions on some quick yummy gluten free breakfast items?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

My favorite quick go to breakfast food is a lundberg farms rice cake with peanut butter and honey.

If time allows you can cook up some hash browns. Leftover hashbrowns with scrambled eggs on top is also a favorite of mine.

Chex cereals (not wheat), grits with a slice of velveeta cheese added, gluten free oatmeal (can be found at whole foods), gluten free pancakes (Pamela's, again from whole foods)

I also have at least one fruit with my breakfast, usually a banana. This could be easily made into a smoothie by blending a banana with yogurt and a little milk and other fruits (such as strawberries, blueberries, etc.)

Wenmin

lucia Enthusiast

Good idea for a thread! Congratulations on being 2 weeks in! Breakfast was the hardest meal for me too. After 8 weeks (& counting), I don't even notice the lack of all those things I thought I'd always miss (muesli, granola, slices of whole grain bread ... )

One caution for you: my nutritionist pointed out that we need carbs for energy, and your eggs & bacon breakfast is missing carbs. We have to work on getting carbs with every meal, whether in the form of a gluten-free substitute item, rice or another grain, potatos, corn, or peas.

Before I met with my nutritionist, I was thinking of gluten-free items, especially bread, as an expensive indulgence. Actually, given that we need our carbs, they're sometimes an expensive necessity. You can find gluten-free versions of cereal - such as Rice Chex (easy to find, but check the label) and EnviroKids Gorilla Munch (sold at Trader Joe's and other specialty shoes), granola, bread slices, and english muffins. Try looking for these at chain stores like Trader Joe's or WalMart to keep down costs. The breads taste better toasted.

Like Wenmin, I'm a big advocate of yogurt and fruits, especially together. I also really like nuts and seeds, as well as peanut butter and other nut butters.

If you have the time to cook breakfast, you can vastly expand your options. As Wenmin added, there are many ways to cook eggs, including scrambled, poached, and boiled. You can make an omelette or a frittata. You also can try salmon for breakfast as another protein option. I also recommend tempeh as a low fat alternative to bacon. Of course, for meat eaters, there's bacon and sausage. For carbs, you can use potatos to make hashbrowns or homefries, or cook up grits, polenta, or millet. If I'm cooking a savory breakfast, I like to include a side dish of leafy greens too, like spinach. It tastes good, and it's good for me.

People in many other countries eat food for breakfast that doesn't include gluten. When I stayed with my Chinese friend, her Mom served us rice noodles in a pork-based broth for breakfast. In India, staying with my in-laws, I ate foods made of rice flour for breakfast. This doesn't exactly help you, but it is worth expanding our ideas of what breakfast is supposed to be. : ) Breakfast burrito, anyone? Corn tortilla, of course!

Farmgirl Newbie

I am new to the gluten free world. I am going on my 2 week gluten free (GOO ME!)

The hardest part I have found is finding something for breakfast! Most traditional breakfast material contain gluten (muffins, toast, ect) I am getting pretty tired of eating eggs and bacon every morning and I don't have time to cook every morning. Any suggestions on some quick yummy gluten free breakfast items?

I really like the Vans gluten free French bread sticks with some soy yogurt and fruit. The French toast sticks are quick in the toaster and get nice and crispy. Easy to grab out of the toaster and eat in the car too.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I suggest you stop thinking breakfast food. The first meal of the day does not have to be traditional food. Go for a steak and baked potato.

missy'smom Collaborator

I often serve Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup for breakfast and add extra leftover roasted chicken or canned chicken for extra protein.

Can you use a gluten-free mix and make up a batch of pancakes on the weekend and freeze them? We do that alot, then warm them up in the microwave in the mornings.

I pre-cook bacon too. Bake it in the oven in a big batch. Put it in a cold oven on a parchment line broiler pan. Set to 400 and let cook for 18 min. Drain on paper towels. Let cool and store in a container. In the a.m. just place between paper towels and microwave for 20 seconds.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I just discovered Katz gluten free challah. I can't eat before I go to work, so I grab a few slices and put them in a baggie and then at about 8:30 I butter a couple of slices with dairy free margarine and eat them. Katz gluten free challah is a sweet nutty bread that is light and fluffy and moist. It is similar to banana bread in texture and has a wonderful flavor. I keep the loaf in the freezer and take it out as I need it. It is so nice to be able to eat bread that doesn't crumble or is dry. It is so moist it reminds me of cake. This is definitely a wonderful product.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

One of the first gluten-free foods I learned to make was waffles. Get Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake mix, and the recipe is right on the package. I like to add a little vanilla and cinnamon. They always come out good. If you don't have a waffle maker, you can buy a cheap one for $20 or less.

Then when you make waffles, let the leftover ones cool completely, then freeze. You can reheat in a toaster or toaster oven in a few minutes.

If you don't have time to make them in the morning, make on a weekend when you have more time, or in the evening. If you make them in the evening, they smell so good that you will want a fresh one for dinner!

jackay Enthusiast

yogurt, almonds or walnuts and avacado make up my breakfast daily.

Philippa Rookie

Gluten-free cereals are good, like gluten-free cornflakes or others. There's quite a bit of variety. Hot cereals have lots of options too...I recently bought some quinoa flakes that are very quick to prepare--just add boiling water and stir. It's a bit boring on it's own but with cinnamon and fruit it was good.

We have a health food store with good gluten-free bagels nearby, but I've also seen gluten-free bagels in the freezer section of the regular grocery store.

We do gluten-free pancakes at least twice a week.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Another way to use your pancake mix is similar to little pigs in a blanket (these can also be made in a batch and frozen). I use Pamela's pancake mix, make the basic muffin batter, spray a muffin tin, add a little batter, then some rough chopped pre-cooked sausages, add a little more batter over the top and bake at 350 till golden brown. My kiddo's LOVE these!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Most days I like greek yogurt with chopped fresh fruit and cinnamon. Sundays we like Gluten Free Pantry pancakes with blueberries and bacon or sausage.

The pancakes can even be made ahead and microwaved when you're in a hurry. I do this with leftover batter and it works well.

purple Community Regular

Muffins are my favorite! Then yogurt with berries and nuts, breakfast burritos, cereal with a banana or strawberries on top.

kareng Grand Master

I make some muffins and put them in the freezer. I take one out the night before I want it and it's ready to go. By making then you can have more fiber, less sugar, etc

sb2178 Enthusiast

Leftovers from dinner, often. Today was millet porrige (sp?) with carrots, summer squash & egg.

Applesauce, cottage cheese, and nuts.

Onigiri (rice balls) or a risotto sort of thing (okayu in Japanese)

I second SOUP! Harira (Arabic= lots of available spellings), sweet potato (curried with coconut milk is excellent), chicken, chowder, etc

Definitely aim for three food groups & some carbs, whether from dairy, fruit, vegetables, or grains. My PCP just strongly recommended adding flaxseeds, so I suspect they will go into breakfast somehow.

NOTE: I'm fairly sure tempeh uses wheat, so not a safe choice. Tofu would be fine, but miso might be an issue. Haven't looked for a gluten-free one yet.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

French toast - we make a loaf of bread, eat what we want fresh for dinner, french toast the next morning, and a sandwich the next day (that's about as far as I go with "fresh"). Then I slice the rest and freeze with a piece of saran wrap between the slices. Pull out what you need when you want fresh French toast.

Joan's Gluten Free Bakery bagels and English muffins.

Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal

Crepes - easy to make, cool, refridgerate and eat for a couple days. We like them - with syrup, filled with vanilla yogurt and topped with berries, and for lunch or breakfast - rolled up with a couple slices of Hormel Deli Style ham and a slice of American Cheese rolled inside (serve warm or cold).

lucia Enthusiast

Plain tempeh is fine. I buy this brand: Open Original Shared Link

Apparently, they do make a "three-grain" tempeh which is full of gluten. Good to know! So make sure you read the label (alas, our lot in life!). A note on tempeh: it's easier to digest than soy because it's fermented. If you can digest soy though, it's an excellent breakfast food (scrambled or in smoothies).

Also about miso: like tempeh, miso is fermented so it's easier to digest. Like tempeh, in its pure form, miso doesn't have any gluten. However, some commercial miso contains gluten, so you have to read the label.

I'm impressed by how unconventional people are about breakfast. I think I might cook up a rice noodle broth and warm that up for breakfast someday.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

NOTE: I'm fairly sure tempeh uses wheat, so not a safe choice. Tofu would be fine, but miso might be an issue. Haven't looked for a gluten-free one yet.

I use all 3. Just read labels. I have a multigrain tempeh that is gluten-free. Says gluten-free right on the package. It's pretty tasty

:)

missy'smom Collaborator

Also about miso: like tempeh, miso is fermented so it's easier to digest. Like tempeh, in its pure form, miso doesn't have any gluten. However, some commercial miso contains gluten, so you have to read the label.

The starter culture for miso can be grown on a grain that is not gluten-free-ie:barley. Technically, it is not an ingredient so might not be listed on the label. It is wise to contact the company. You want "kome koji". "Kome" means rice and "koji" means the bacteria culture. Here is a link that explains the process. Open Original Shared Link

There are some misos that outright contain gluten grains like barley but these are not commonly sold in the U.S. More commonly the miso in the store may contain no gluten grains but may be started on gluten containing grain. I make my own at home with South River's brown rice koji, rice and soybeans.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Oh good. i like miso a lot, and would have missed it. thanks all for the info!

halfrunner Apprentice

I make DH a gluten free hot cereal that he eats most mornings for breakfast. I use a coffee grinder (not one of the cheap ones, they won't handle the harder grains) to grind up 1 1/2c. each of buckwheat groats, millet, quinoa, and brown rice into tiny pieces. I find that I need to grind them separately and mix them up in a gallon size plastic bag.

I also add 1 1/2 c. of corn grits and milled flax.

To cook:

boil 3 cups of water 5 min. in the microwave in a very large bowl. Add 2 tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 cup of cereal, stir well. Microwave for 3 more minutes, stirring once each minute.

Serve like cream of wheat, oatmeal, or any other hot cereal.

To make it chocolate: stir in 2 tsp. cocoa powder, and up the sugar to 3 tbsp, then cook as normal. Chocolate chips are optional as well.

Mizzo Enthusiast

If you like oatmeal.

The night before you can get gluten-free oats put into a container fill with water till just reaches oat tops, add raisin, coconut, nuts whatever, stir and cover. Keep in frig till next morning, then nuke it in the microwave or even take to work and heat up there. I even toss a dollop of yogurt on top. But "traditional breakfasts" are not necessary it's in our heads. Chicken and rice is just as good, roll it up in a corn tortilla if it feels more right.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I don't often eat breakfast anymore. The idea of needing carbs at every meal is that got me to the extra 40 lbs. I've been carrying around for all these years!

When I did... I'd slather peanut butter bewt. rice cakes... or smush a ripe banana betw. 2 waffles and eat 'em on my way to work. Sometimes I'd have yogurt and chopped nuts.

my.oh.my Newbie

I need to start my day with a regular breakfast.no snacks, muffins, or fruits...

I use the Katz Gluten Free White Bread or Challah Bread. It's delicious, satisfies my hunger pangs, not crumbly. Along with some spreads and veggies it is the perfect breakfast.

Oh! how could i forget to mention my coffee....

ciavyn Contributor

My faves (and I hate taking time to make stuff!):

Udi's Muffins. Hands down, best muffins ever (including poison muffins!)

Fruity Pebbles with almond milk

Oatmeal (microwaved)

If I have time, I make Pamela's pancakes. Yummo.

Archived