27 replies to this topic

#16 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

French toast - we make a loaf of bread, eat what we want fresh for dinner, french toast the next morning, and a sandwich the next day (that's about as far as I go with "fresh"). Then I slice the rest and freeze with a piece of saran wrap between the slices. Pull out what you need when you want fresh French toast.

Joan's Gluten Free Bakery bagels and English muffins.

Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal

Crepes - easy to make, cool, refridgerate and eat for a couple days. We like them - with syrup, filled with vanilla yogurt and topped with berries, and for lunch or breakfast - rolled up with a couple slices of Hormel Deli Style ham and a slice of American Cheese rolled inside (serve warm or cold).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

Plain tempeh is fine. I buy this brand: http://www.lightlife...sp?p=tempeh_soy

Apparently, they do make a "three-grain" tempeh which is full of gluten. Good to know! So make sure you read the label (alas, our lot in life!). A note on tempeh: it's easier to digest than soy because it's fermented. If you can digest soy though, it's an excellent breakfast food (scrambled or in smoothies).

Also about miso: like tempeh, miso is fermented so it's easier to digest. Like tempeh, in its pure form, miso doesn't have any gluten. However, some commercial miso contains gluten, so you have to read the label.

I'm impressed by how unconventional people are about breakfast. I think I might cook up a rice noodle broth and warm that up for breakfast someday.

#18 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

NOTE: I'm fairly sure tempeh uses wheat, so not a safe choice. Tofu would be fine, but miso might be an issue. Haven't looked for a gluten-free one yet.

I use all 3. Just read labels. I have a multigrain tempeh that is gluten-free. Says gluten-free right on the package. It's pretty tasty
:)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#19 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:29 AM

Also about miso: like tempeh, miso is fermented so it's easier to digest. Like tempeh, in its pure form, miso doesn't have any gluten. However, some commercial miso contains gluten, so you have to read the label.

The starter culture for miso can be grown on a grain that is not gluten-free-ie:barley. Technically, it is not an ingredient so might not be listed on the label. It is wise to contact the company. You want "kome koji". "Kome" means rice and "koji" means the bacteria culture. Here is a link that explains the process. http://www.southrive...ng-Process.html

There are some misos that outright contain gluten grains like barley but these are not commonly sold in the U.S. More commonly the miso in the store may contain no gluten grains but may be started on gluten containing grain. I make my own at home with South River's brown rice koji, rice and soybeans.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#20 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:02 AM

Oh good. i like miso a lot, and would have missed it. thanks all for the info!

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#21 halfrunner

halfrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

I make DH a gluten free hot cereal that he eats most mornings for breakfast. I use a coffee grinder (not one of the cheap ones, they won't handle the harder grains) to grind up 1 1/2c. each of buckwheat groats, millet, quinoa, and brown rice into tiny pieces. I find that I need to grind them separately and mix them up in a gallon size plastic bag.

I also add 1 1/2 c. of corn grits and milled flax.

To cook:

boil 3 cups of water 5 min. in the microwave in a very large bowl. Add 2 tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 cup of cereal, stir well. Microwave for 3 more minutes, stirring once each minute.

Serve like cream of wheat, oatmeal, or any other hot cereal.

To make it chocolate: stir in 2 tsp. cocoa powder, and up the sugar to 3 tbsp, then cook as normal. Chocolate chips are optional as well.
Some people merely follow their dreams. Other people hunt them down and beat them into submission.

#22 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

If you like oatmeal.

The night before you can get gluten-free oats put into a container fill with water till just reaches oat tops, add raisin, coconut, nuts whatever, stir and cover. Keep in frig till next morning, then nuke it in the microwave or even take to work and heat up there. I even toss a dollop of yogurt on top. But "traditional breakfasts" are not necessary it's in our heads. Chicken and rice is just as good, roll it up in a corn tortilla if it feels more right.

#23 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

I don't often eat breakfast anymore. The idea of needing carbs at every meal is that got me to the extra 40 lbs. I've been carrying around for all these years!

When I did... I'd slather peanut butter bewt. rice cakes... or smush a ripe banana betw. 2 waffles and eat 'em on my way to work. Sometimes I'd have yogurt and chopped nuts.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#24 my.oh.my

my.oh.my

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

I need to start my day with a regular breakfast.no snacks, muffins, or fruits...
I use the Katz Gluten Free White Bread or Challah Bread. It's delicious, satisfies my hunger pangs, not crumbly. Along with some spreads and veggies it is the perfect breakfast.
Oh! how could i forget to mention my coffee....

#25 ciavyn

ciavyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

I am new to the gluten free world. I am going on my 2 week gluten free (GOO ME!)

The hardest part I have found is finding something for breakfast! Most traditional breakfast material contain gluten (muffins, toast, ect) I am getting pretty tired of eating eggs and bacon every morning and I don't have time to cook every morning. Any suggestions on some quick yummy gluten free breakfast items?

My faves (and I hate taking time to make stuff!):
Udi's Muffins. Hands down, best muffins ever (including poison muffins!)
Fruity Pebbles with almond milk
Oatmeal (microwaved)
If I have time, I make Pamela's pancakes. Yummo.
Gluten free: Nov. 2009
Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009
Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)
Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

#26 luvs2eat2

luvs2eat2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

I don't often eat breakfast anymore. The idea of needing carbs at every meal is that got me to the extra 40 lbs. I've been carrying around for all these years!

When I did... I'd slather peanut butter bewt. rice cakes... or smush a ripe banana betw. 2 waffles and eat 'em on my way to work. Sometimes I'd have yogurt and chopped nuts.

You shouldn't skip breakfast if you are trying to lose weight! eating in the morning kick starts your metabolism! i handn't thought of peanut butter on rice cakes..i'll give it a shot.

#27 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:50 AM

You shouldn't skip breakfast if you are trying to lose weight! eating in the morning kick starts your metabolism! i handn't thought of peanut butter on rice cakes..i'll give it a shot.

VERY coincidentally, I'm multitasking and currently listening to an educational health seminar while checking this discussion thread (we get a discount on our health insurance if we listen to these things every month - it's thru my husband's employer). This month's topic is the importance of eating breakfast. We hear all the time that people who eat breakfast weigh less - and part of it has to do with your insulin resistance. Here's what I'm listening to at this very moment: "periods of fasting, which occurs when you skip breakfast, increase the body's insulin response, which in turn increases fat storage and weight gain."

I've gotten into the habit of having half coffee/half milk in the morning, telling myself the milk counts. I need to get back into eating breakfast!

#28 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

This mornings breakfast was a shrimp taco: stir fried veggies, shrimp with chopped radish, onions and avocado. It was leftovers from last nights dinner.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: