2 replies to this topic

#1 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

I don't know why I just got mine now, but the May issue of Prevention magazine include Celiac as one of the 7 conditions doctors routinely miss, with a nice sidebar about "what to know" about Celiac disease. And Dr. Green from Columbia is their expert (celiac3270, isn't that your doctor?)
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mcle8232

mcle8232

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:51 PM

Just got my issue of prevention magazine today - June 2005 page 206. They did an article like the Readers Digest one from Jan 04 (10 diseases doctors miss). Prevention did 7 diseases doctors miss: Heart disease, celiac disease, lupus, hepatitis C, chlamydia, and multiple sclerosis. A very short blurb - but accurate.

One odd note: They start out their summary, "Only 1% of Americans are estimated to have celiac disease but..." I'm used to people focusing on the fact that 1% is actually a big number when put into perspective relative to other diseases and state populations etc...

Columbia University's Peter Green was quoted, "The question is, where are all these people with celiac disease? They're not getting diagnosed. It may be hiding behind other diseases - irritable bowel syndrome, infertility, and anemia."
Megan
confirmed celiac
bloodwork/endoscopy positive
gluten-free since July 2003

Baby boy (Nathan) born Feb 2nd 2006

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:35 AM

No, I have the pediatric GI at Columbia Presbyterian, Dr. Levy. But Green works in the same Celiac Disease...program as Levy and I have recommended him to many adults on here ;) (just from his reputation)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: