This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Issues And So On

misslexi

misslexi Apprentice

I've been gluten free for about 7 months now, and I lost alot of weight from being sick. I gained a bit of it back, and while my BMI was technically underweight, 18.1, I am delicate and I did not look unhealthy at that point. But I began losing muscle mass. I have not really been active since I was a little kid, I was too tired and depressed most of the time. And injuries and health issues often kept me from participating safely in school things. I did not change anything in my exercise habits when I started to lose muscle.

But now I've started to gain weight again, but its unhealthy weight. It is in my abdomen and hip area. I am not concerned about the number on the scale so much, as the way I look (and therefore feel) so if the weight gain was from muscle I'd be happy about it. But it is fat.

Does anyone have any suggestions to lose the fat and gain back muscle mass? I need to start gently because of joint problems and other things related to celiac. Healing is slow, and I'm still in alot of pain most of the time. It would also need to mostly be stuff I can do at home by my self. The depression isn't any better yet, and it is hard to get motivated. I need someone to help me get on the right track. If I have a list of things to do, I can put it on the wall and see my progress which will make it much easier for me. But I don't know where to start!

I've been asking for help from people in my life for quite some time now. But the answer I've always gotten is either being ignored, or "you have to help yourself". It is really frustrating because I'm not asking for someone to do it for me, just teach me how to do the things I need to do to improve my life. So I'm here asking you wonderful strangers...can you help me learn?

Even if it is just to suggest ways to see a nutritionist or something. I am in Ontario, Canada. And a 20yo female college student. If thats relevant! I can't keep living like this, I want to be healthy and feel normal for once.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knittingmonkey Newbie

I've been gluten free for about 7 months now, and I lost alot of weight from being sick. I gained a bit of it back, and while my BMI was technically underweight, 18.1, I am delicate and I did not look unhealthy at that point. But I began losing muscle mass. I have not really been active since I was a little kid, I was too tired and depressed most of the time. And injuries and health issues often kept me from participating safely in school things. I did not change anything in my exercise habits when I started to lose muscle.

But now I've started to gain weight again, but its unhealthy weight. It is in my abdomen and hip area. I am not concerned about the number on the scale so much, as the way I look (and therefore feel) so if the weight gain was from muscle I'd be happy about it. But it is fat.

Does anyone have any suggestions to lose the fat and gain back muscle mass? I need to start gently because of joint problems and other things related to celiac. Healing is slow, and I'm still in alot of pain most of the time. It would also need to mostly be stuff I can do at home by my self. The depression isn't any better yet, and it is hard to get motivated. I need someone to help me get on the right track. If I have a list of things to do, I can put it on the wall and see my progress which will make it much easier for me. But I don't know where to start!

I've been asking for help from people in my life for quite some time now. But the answer I've always gotten is either being ignored, or "you have to help yourself". It is really frustrating because I'm not asking for someone to do it for me, just teach me how to do the things I need to do to improve my life. So I'm here asking you wonderful strangers...can you help me learn?

Even if it is just to suggest ways to see a nutritionist or something. I am in Ontario, Canada. And a 20yo female college student. If thats relevant! I can't keep living like this, I want to be healthy and feel normal for once.

Teresa Tapp is an excellent exercise physiologist. She has DVDs and videos available for her workouts. Her workouts are short in duration but very effective, and she has specific exercises for spot reduction. Because of scoliosis and a subluxated rib with depression due to the chronic pain, I didn't feel like exercising, so to start out again I chose her "More" DVD package, and I'm very happy with it. Within the package are diet tips and other helpful items. If you follow the program I'm sure you'll see and feel results. Her alfalfa tablets are supposed to be the best help for puffiness and swelling. On the website you'll find forums where support is offered.

www.t-tapp.com

Good Luck! And I hope you're feeling better soon.

Jestgar Rising Star

Does your school gym have weight training classes? There is no such thing as 'spot reduction' but working the muscles all over your body will reduce the fat everywhere, and make you look better.

mark6556 Newbie

I've been dealing with celiac disease for almost a year now. In trying to resolve issues with muscle weakness I've been experimenting with diet & fasting. The one thing I have definitely learned... diet has everything to do with how much weight you carry. If you want to drop weight, alter your diet more toward vegetarianism and eliminate empty carbs such as white rice and also eliminate processed foods. Your guaranteed to drop weight. Start simple. Change one meal at a time. Bottom line, if your eating more fresh fruits & vegetables overall, your eating healthier and your weight will drop. Hope this helps.

Archived