Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ice Cream?

11 posts in this topic

I just always thought ice cream was all gluten free. Someone I met with Celiac was telling me which ice cream was okay, so apparently not??

What about soft serve ice cream at restraunts?? She told me Blue Bunny is safe, of course with nothing like cake, brownies, etc mixed in.

Ads by Google:

I just always thought ice cream was all gluten free. Someone I met with Celiac was telling me which ice cream was okay, so apparently not??

What about soft serve ice cream at restraunts?? She told me Blue Bunny is safe, of course with nothing like cake, brownies, etc mixed in.

I don't know about in restaurants. I can eat Mayfields - do you all have that in your towns? - the mint chocolate chip, I can eat that. and it's a real treat, let me tell ya! Dairy Queen says their soft serve is gluten-free, but I haven't had that.

I have been having DQ and been fine. Just don't get the Blizzards as they mix over and over and may have mixed an oreo or something before you. All the brands I have found at the grocery seem fine unless they have the obvious - cookie dough, pie, etc. I emailed Edys' which is in our area & they made me feel more confident that ice cream is OK.

Bryers and Dryers both have a gluten free list of their ice creams on their webistes. Most of the varities are gluten-free, except for the obvious ones. Be careful of Walmart Brand (great value) Ice Cream..it says right on the label may contain wheat.

We eat ChickFilA's icecream in a cup (no shakes), DQ ice cream in a cup (no blizzards due to the CC of the different ingredients) and Wendy's Frostys.

Good Luck!

I can't find the Breyer's gluten-free listing... Does anyone know if the Reese Peanut Butter Cup ice cream is gluten-free? http://www.breyersicecream.ca/en/products/fun_and_indulgent/reese_frozen_dessert.html# It has modified corn starch and modified milk ingredients and I never know what that means...

Thanks!

Jillian

Bryers and Dryers both have a gluten free list of their ice creams on their webistes. Most of the varities are gluten-free, except for the obvious ones. Be careful of Walmart Brand (great value) Ice Cream..it says right on the label may contain wheat.

We eat ChickFilA's icecream in a cup (no shakes), DQ ice cream in a cup (no blizzards due to the CC of the different ingredients) and Wendy's Frostys.

Good Luck!

I think I found the answer to my own question... http://www.unilever.ca/resource/faq.aspx:

"If our ingredients contain even trace amounts of peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, milk, eggs, fish, soy, sulfites or wheat (and ingredients that may contain gluten), it will be stated on the label."

:D !

I can't find the Breyer's gluten-free listing... Does anyone know if the Reese Peanut Butter Cup ice cream is gluten-free? http://www.breyersicecream.ca/en/products/fun_and_indulgent/reese_frozen_dessert.html# It has modified corn starch and modified milk ingredients and I never know what that means...

Thanks!

Jillian

Boo hoo hoo... dairy's not my friend these days. Good thing I didn't buy that Cuisinart ice cream maker I'd been longing for!!

And yes... I'd LOVE some cheese w/ my WHINE... oh wait... hold the cheese!!

Ice cream is pretty much universally safe except the obvious stuff with cookies, brownies etc. There are one or two chocolate or fudge (I forget which) ice creams with barley, but the barley is listed. Read your ingredients.

richard

Blue Bell Chocolate Ice Cream has wheat as an ingredient--beware of that one!

A delicious dairy-free alternative is sorbet... The really good stuff is Hagen Daz, I love the mango or raspberry flavours.

Also want to mention that the info I found/posted is Canadian and the ingredients are sometimes different for the U.S.!

Boo hoo hoo... dairy's not my friend these days. Good thing I didn't buy that Cuisinart ice cream maker I'd been longing for!!

And yes... I'd LOVE some cheese w/ my WHINE... oh wait... hold the cheese!!

A delicious dairy-free alternative is sorbet... The really good stuff is Hagen Daz, I love the mango or raspberry flavours.

Also want to mention that the info I found/posted is Canadian and the ingredients are sometimes different for the U.S.!

Another good dairy free alternative is So Delicious Coconut Milk ice cream - it is really good, too! I like the green tea flavor (different, but very tasty) and the mint chocolate chip.