10 replies to this topic

#1 Luvbeingamommy

Luvbeingamommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

I just always thought ice cream was all gluten free. Someone I met with Celiac was telling me which ice cream was okay, so apparently not??

What about soft serve ice cream at restraunts?? She told me Blue Bunny is safe, of course with nothing like cake, brownies, etc mixed in.

Meagan~Happy Mama to my 3 kiddos!

Had a stroke 11-16-09 as a healthy 25 year old, complete workup and found nothing! I *knew* it had to relate with my recent stomach/nausea problems, but was told no for along time. *I* pushed for Celiac testing, even when doctor doubted it.
Positive bloodwork and negative biopsy- 12-09.
HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)
Neurologist concluded stroke was caused by Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity!
6-10 Tested IgE allergic to peanuts, green peas, and soybeans.

Kingston age 2 1/2 tested positive via Enterolab, tested poitive for IgA and TTG. Doing MUCH better gluten free as of 3-10.
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

I just always thought ice cream was all gluten free. Someone I met with Celiac was telling me which ice cream was okay, so apparently not??

What about soft serve ice cream at restraunts?? She told me Blue Bunny is safe, of course with nothing like cake, brownies, etc mixed in.

I don't know about in restaurants. I can eat Mayfields - do you all have that in your towns? - the mint chocolate chip, I can eat that. and it's a real treat, let me tell ya! Dairy Queen says their soft serve is gluten-free, but I haven't had that.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

I have been having DQ and been fine. Just don't get the Blizzards as they mix over and over and may have mixed an oreo or something before you. All the brands I have found at the grocery seem fine unless they have the obvious - cookie dough, pie, etc. I emailed Edys' which is in our area & they made me feel more confident that ice cream is OK.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

Bryers and Dryers both have a gluten free list of their ice creams on their webistes. Most of the varities are gluten-free, except for the obvious ones. Be careful of Walmart Brand (great value) Ice Cream..it says right on the label may contain wheat.

We eat ChickFilA's icecream in a cup (no shakes), DQ ice cream in a cup (no blizzards due to the CC of the different ingredients) and Wendy's Frostys.

Good Luck!

#5 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

I can't find the Breyer's gluten-free listing... Does anyone know if the Reese Peanut Butter Cup ice cream is gluten-free? http://www.breyersic...n_dessert.html# It has modified corn starch and modified milk ingredients and I never know what that means...

Thanks!
Jillian

Bryers and Dryers both have a gluten free list of their ice creams on their webistes. Most of the varities are gluten-free, except for the obvious ones. Be careful of Walmart Brand (great value) Ice Cream..it says right on the label may contain wheat.

We eat ChickFilA's icecream in a cup (no shakes), DQ ice cream in a cup (no blizzards due to the CC of the different ingredients) and Wendy's Frostys.

Good Luck!

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#6 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

I think I found the answer to my own question... http://www.unilever....ource/faq.aspx:
"If our ingredients contain even trace amounts of peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, milk, eggs, fish, soy, sulfites or wheat (and ingredients that may contain gluten), it will be stated on the label."

:D !

I can't find the Breyer's gluten-free listing... Does anyone know if the Reese Peanut Butter Cup ice cream is gluten-free? http://www.breyersic...n_dessert.html# It has modified corn starch and modified milk ingredients and I never know what that means...

Thanks!
Jillian

#7 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

Boo hoo hoo... dairy's not my friend these days. Good thing I didn't buy that Cuisinart ice cream maker I'd been longing for!!

And yes... I'd LOVE some cheese w/ my WHINE... oh wait... hold the cheese!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

Ice cream is pretty much universally safe except the obvious stuff with cookies, brownies etc. There are one or two chocolate or fudge (I forget which) ice creams with barley, but the barley is listed. Read your ingredients.

richard

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:10 AM

Blue Bell Chocolate Ice Cream has wheat as an ingredient--beware of that one!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

A delicious dairy-free alternative is sorbet... The really good stuff is Hagen Daz, I love the mango or raspberry flavours.

Also want to mention that the info I found/posted is Canadian and the ingredients are sometimes different for the U.S.!

Boo hoo hoo... dairy's not my friend these days. Good thing I didn't buy that Cuisinart ice cream maker I'd been longing for!!

And yes... I'd LOVE some cheese w/ my WHINE... oh wait... hold the cheese!!

#11 summerteeth

summerteeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

A delicious dairy-free alternative is sorbet... The really good stuff is Hagen Daz, I love the mango or raspberry flavours.

Also want to mention that the info I found/posted is Canadian and the ingredients are sometimes different for the U.S.!

Another good dairy free alternative is So Delicious Coconut Milk ice cream - it is really good, too! I like the green tea flavor (different, but very tasty) and the mint chocolate chip.
Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008
dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: