This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hypoglycemia

conniebky

conniebky Collaborator

I have been hypoglycemic (dx'd) since a teenager. I guess that over the years, I've learned to deal with it by eating a lot.

...man, y'all I'm having a really rough third gluten-free week... :(

I got up this morning and ate eggs and milk. Went visiting, came home, it was 3:00 and I hadn't eaten anything. The people I was with were eating, but I didn't eat anything cuz I couldn't.

I came home, it's REALLY hot here in Kentucky and stuffy out, too. Anyway, I came home, played with my dog and got so dag dizzy and shaky - that scary kind where you wonder if you should call someone. Then I got too weak to even get up.

Then I had a long talk with myself and got up and ate some homemade dip and chips and a big glass of milk. Now I feel some better.

But now I know that when I feel like this, I need to eat a donut or a piece of cake, something to REALLY fill me up and give me a sugar jolt. And I can't. I can't even get full anymore. The only thing I can eat that makes me feel full is popcorn. I want a huge piece of sugar sticky cake. I know if I ate that, I'd spring right back, and I know if I ate that, I'd fall right over.

Someone please just tell me I'm having a bad week and this will all pass and it's normal and I'll feel better soon i hate to keep coming on here this week and b-ing but this has been my worse week yet. I bought a bag of gluten-free flour... let's see.... it's called Bobs Red Mill all purpose baking flour. Maybe I should bake me a cake to have on hand for times like this, and I could make some really gooey frosting for it - ? I seriously cannot go around like this, if I was at work today, I'd have had to go home. I feel that bad.

OH! and then today when I was visiting, I got these stomach cramps outta nowhere that felt like I was going to give birth then I had to run in to the bathroom and that was embarrassing - I mean out of NOWHERE that started up. Last night I took an antibiotic cuz strep is going around and my throat got scratchy and sore. I wrote that company and asked them about gluten, but they aint home LOL.

I tried to look on the internet about hypoglycemia and gluten/celiac but didn't find much. But it makes sense, I guess.

I'm sorry for being a cry baby this week. I haven't craved carbs or bread yet. Maybe that's just now kickin in?

Geez, I saw Kirstie Alley on Oprah yesterday and they say she's fat - I wish they could see something else in her. Geez, I think she's beautiful and funny too and I really like her cuz she's so down to earth and she was talking about dieting and I yelled at my tv cuz fat, skinny, eat, don't eat, diet, too fat, too skinny, it's all a big bunch a nothin if ya ask me. We all just need to feel good. And I thought "she gets to eat warm Krispy Kremes" ... that's all I could think

I'm sorry to go on and on, I'm just having a tough time of it right now.

..... it's always darkest before the dawn.....?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

First off why did you take an antibiotic when you just had a bit of a sore throat? And where did it come from? When we get a script for those we are supposed to finish every last one to be sure the little buggies they are fighting are all killed off. Please don't self prescribe. It is dangerous and can lead to antibiotic resistance and even allergy to that form of antibiotic. Then you could be in real trouble when you do need one.

For the hypoglycemia issue you need to keep stuff on hand to snack on. Keep some pnut butter or other nut butter around and eat some of that or another protein source,like perhaps some hard boiled eggs, with a some gluten free carbs. Eating sugar, like a piece of cake is going to spike your blood sugar and then you will crash and need another sugar 'fix'. Eat often and eat good food not sweets to fight the hypoglycemia.

You may want to consider limiting the amount of milk your drinking. Can you switch to a safe rice milk, NOT Rice Dream, or perhaps almond or hemp milk. You are still healing and dairy can be really hard on us until we have fully healed.

If it is hot and humid there you may be nauseous because of that. Try running some cold water over your pulse points on your wrist to cool down and see if that helps. Sitting right in front of a fan that has a large bowl of ice and water in it can help if you don't have AC.

I hope your feeling better soon. Hang in there.

Luvbeingamommy Contributor

I am sorry you are having a rough week. It really is a rollercoaster until you get it figured out, heck I am 3 and some months gluten free and still have bad weeks/days. Overall though i feel much better and that is what I try to focus on.

I have had hypoglycemia problems too. You really shouldn't eat something SUPER sugary like cake, donut, etc because 2 hours or less later it's going to drop and you will be low again. You would think that's what you should do, but you need to focus on eating protein, lots of it! Those complex carbs aren't good for you anyway!

Also that is WAY too long to go without eating, I'd be bottoming out too! I just recently found these bars called Larabars and some of them have a good amount of protein in them. I just got the peanut butter cookie, and it has 6g of protein. Another staple in my diet is cheese and nuts...i am actually snacking on some almonds right now. You want to try to eat a lot of snacks and smaller meals. Always have some nuts or those bars are nice to carry around for a snack when I am out and about and can't just stop and grab fastfood or whatever eles everyone else is eating.

Try that and see if you feel better :). It's hard to snack and make sure you are eating enough sometimes, I am guilty of it when I am out and about. Even sometimes when I am home taking care of 3 kids, I forget to eat or don't have time.

Oh and if you are craving a donut, Kinnickinnik (sp?) makes a REALLY good donut that is gluten and dairy free! A few flavors actually. I don't crave it too much, but when I do it hits the spot. You keep them frozen, so they last a long time.

kareng Grand Master

Connie, Connie, Connie....

Get you to the convience store and buy those little bags of peanuts for 2 for $1. My son used to have this problem when little if he didn't eat a little every 4 hours. He would start crying and say "I don't know why I'm so sad." His Pediatrician said that happens to him and he keeps some peanuts and peanut M&Ms on him at all times. OJ or other fruit juice was good to spike it enough he could then eat a piece of cheese, sandwich, etc. In his case, he outgrew it. I don't think you will, my dear, so you will have to manage better. ;)

conniebky Collaborator

See, I was thinking it might be cuz it's the weekend. At work, I keep celery and peanut butter; celery and pineapple cream cheese; popcorn; cheese; watermelon; cantaloupe, I have tons of food at work, but I don't keep that at home. Salad with tuna, all kinds of foods.

I guess I'll have to start shopping as good for home as I do for work. I eat every two hours or so at work, cuz all that stuff is so handy there. I looked at protein bars, but ended up walking on by cuz I figured there's no way they wouldn't have gluten in them.

and milk? I literally can't fall asleep if I don't have milk in the house. I love milk more than anything else I eat. I always have loved milk. I'll try to cut back on that cuz my it's like a three ring circus going on in my belly today. and I look like I'm a good four months pregnant too.

jerseyangel Proficient

You're really having a rough time of it--poor thing! But, it will get better as you figure out how to get on about your life as a gluten-free'er.

I wouldn't have taken an antibiotic like that--those should only be used when really needed and even then you need to always finish the whole prescription even if you feel better. (my best mom voice :P )

At the first sigh of a scratchy throat, try gargling with warm salt water or hot tea with lemon. Get extra rest if you can.

For a quick sugar fix--maybe get some Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles to keep in the pantry (or other gluten-free prepackaged treats you like) to grab when you need something. Eating more often with some protein each time will help stave off the sugar lows, too. ;) Enjoy Life also makes a really good trail mix that I keep on hand at all times.

You're gonna make it through this--I promise :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

and I look like I'm a good four months pregnant too.

Now wouldn't that be a surprise! :P

I don't like protein bars but I like Kind bars. Bascially nuts held together with honey. Can get them at Whole Foods but also at lots of other places like the grocery. Have even seen them at a convenience store.

Also, our Wf has little packets you squeeze out of PB & almond butter, PB with Cinnamon & Almond with maple. About $1 each but could keep in the car for emergencies.

jerseyangel Proficient

I love Lara Bars--I'm addicted to the Ginger Snaps. Never leave the house without a couple in my purse. :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

See, I was thinking it might be cuz it's the weekend. At work, I keep celery and peanut butter; celery and pineapple cream cheese; popcorn; cheese; watermelon; cantaloupe, I have tons of food at work, but I don't keep that at home. Salad with tuna, all kinds of foods.

I guess I'll have to start shopping as good for home as I do for work. I eat every two hours or so at work, cuz all that stuff is so handy there. I looked at protein bars, but ended up walking on by cuz I figured there's no way they wouldn't have gluten in them.

and milk? I literally can't fall asleep if I don't have milk in the house. I love milk more than anything else I eat. I always have loved milk. I'll try to cut back on that cuz my it's like a three ring circus going on in my belly today. and I look like I'm a good four months pregnant too.

It sounds like you have some great stuff at work and your plan to stock your fridge and cupboards at home is a good one.

I really, really, really hate to say this but....your milk cravings could be a sign that your body shouldn't be having it. I know that sounds weird but foods that we react to can often be frankly addictive. For some dairy protein causes the same addictive reaction that wheat does for some of us. You really IMHO need to drop it for a bit. If needed you could think about contacting your doctor and getting something to help you sleep until the withdrawl is over with. Short term of course. A gluten free antihistamine might help if you don't want a script med as antihistamines make most folks sleepy. The benadryl might be one to try as long as it is a gluten-free form.

You could always use enterolab to check for a dairy intolerance. I am sure you don't want to, but just a thought.

bluebonnet Explorer

i've got hypoglycemia and i keep nuts and larabars in my purse if on the go. for a fast fix have you considered rice cakes with peanut butter or apple slices with pb? or try slicing a frozen banana with pb. cheese sticks are great too if dairy isn't a problem. don't go for the candy ... it helps VERY temporarily and you'll still feel that crappy feeling shortly after. you must spend more time at work than home if you keep that place stocked! lol :)

Chell Newbie

Like others have said you don't need the junk food when your sugar drops. I'm also Hypoglycemic & I always keep peanut butter with me. I even have a little packet in my purse just in case. Since going gluten-free I've not had near as much trouble with my sugar dropping. Now it only drops when I've been contaminated or when I've gone hours & hours without eating.

Things will get better soon. It is difficult to adjust & you mourn the foods you can no longer have.

conniebky Collaborator

Like others have said you don't need the junk food when your sugar drops. I'm also Hypoglycemic & I always keep peanut butter with me. I even have a little packet in my purse just in case. Since going gluten-free I've not had near as much trouble with my sugar dropping. Now it only drops when I've been contaminated or when I've gone hours & hours without eating.

Things will get better soon. It is difficult to adjust & you mourn the foods you can no longer have.

LOL! Last night I dreamed I was at a ballgame drinking beer, eating white castles and a huge pretzel and a hot dog (you know how dreams are LOL) they don't even sell white castles at base ball! But I was havin a blast in that dream! Everyone's been asking me, "don't you crave all that" I say, "no".....I guess it's kicking in now.

I'd be so lost in all this without y'all.

kitgordon Explorer

Pamela's mini chocolate chip cookies are really good when you want something sweet, though it's true that protein is better and lasts longer.

bluebonnet Explorer

i also wanted to add that i have noticed i can go much longer between eating these days since being on a gluten free diet. so hopefully you will see improvement as time goes on with the blood sugar drops. :)

foodiegurl Collaborator

i also wanted to add that i have noticed i can go much longer between eating these days since being on a gluten free diet. so hopefully you will see improvement as time goes on with the blood sugar drops. :)

I am the opposite, I notice I can't go nearly as long as I did pre-gluten-free, and this is after a year and a half....but I think it has to do with having too much refined flours and no more whole wheat, and I know for myself, I have to try hard to balance out with protein and fats in addition to the carbs and then I am good for a few hours. If I have a carb-heavy meal (full or rice and potato flours), I will need food sooner afterwards.

I second the Kind bars...I don't like energy/protein bars either, but I love, love, love the mango macadamia nut Kind bars, which I always keep in my purse at all times. Plus Starbucks carries them, so I always know in an emergency, I can pick that up at Starbucks for $1.99, though I can pick them up at my local grocery store for $1.69. Or, I will buy a whole box from a local co-op.

If i am at home, I will have a spoonful of peanut butter or mix greek yogurt with peanut butter and dip apples in it...so yummy!

tarnalberry Community Regular

As everyone mentioned, cake and other sugary or carb-heavy things are pretty much exactly what you don't want to be eating when you feel a blood sugar crash. It will just lead to a harder crash. If I maintain most of my meals (and snacks) at something around 25% fat, 25% protein, and 50% carbs (and not refined carbs!), I can go for "normal" lengths of time without *needing* food. Yes, it takes some planning, and I find it more difficult to work around than being gluten and dairy free, but it is what it is.

kayo Explorer

My hypoglycemia went away after changing my diet. It used to be so bad I'd shake, lose my ability to think/talk and sometimes I'd faint. I got used to eating every few hours and I would panic when I could eat next or when I felt my blood sugar dropping. Now I can go 'normal' amounts of time to eat, i.e., breakfast, lunch, late afternoon snack, dinner, night time snack. I wish the Kind bars didn't have soy, they're SO good. Instead I keep Larabars all over the place. Home, work, purse, car.

Also, meant to say I used to crave cheese (cheese sauce, lasagna, ravioli, etc.), coffee with lots of milk, and ice cream. I used to dream about brie! I'm severely lactose intolerant. I think when we have super cravings like that it's a clue that we are intolerant. Once I gave up dairy I switched to soy and ended up craving my soy milk and soy icecream. Turns out I had a soy intolerance too.

Every now and then I think, am I craving anything? Do I have any 'must haves'? If so it would give me an inkling that something may be causing me grief.

rachel-gf Newbie

I'm also a very cranky person if I go more than a few hours without eating, though this has improved as I removed gluten completely and reduced refined sugars.

My favorite way to deal with the no-food problems is to keep a small baggie of nuts and raisins (about 30% unsweetened raisins, and 70% nuts). The raisins help bring up my blood sugar so I feel better quickly, and the nuts help maintain it -- a slice of (gluten-free) cake would only lead to a sugar crash afterwards.

Good luck to you. It does get better. I would also recommend going in for vitamin deficiency testing especially vitamins B, D, etc. Fixing these may help stabilize the way your body processes food and help restore good health quickly.

Archived