30 replies to this topic

#1 Lily127

Lily127

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'm new to the Forum and new to having to go Gluten Free. I thought Lipton Onion Soup Mix was Gluten Free. I've looked up so many products I'm not sure where I got that information, but when I went to buy it I read the label and it said Yeast Extract (Barley). So I'm assuming it's not Gluten Free anymore, if it ever was.

Also, was wondering how to do searches that bring up less results? If that's possible. Sometimes I'll search and so many threads will come up I'm not sure where to look first! Thanks. Sorry if everybody already knows about the Lipton
L

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 conniebky

conniebky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

I'm new to the Forum and new to having to go Gluten Free. I thought Lipton Onion Soup Mix was Gluten Free. I've looked up so many products I'm not sure where I got that information, but when I went to buy it I read the label and it said Yeast Extract (Barley). So I'm assuming it's not Gluten Free anymore, if it ever was.

Also, was wondering how to do searches that bring up less results? If that's possible. Sometimes I'll search and so many threads will come up I'm not sure where to look first! Thanks. Sorry if everybody already knows about the Lipton
L

Hi! Nice to meetcha!

I didn't know that about the Lipton Onion Soup. I love the dip made with that.

I also didn't know that Yeast Extract was Barley - boy! I had no idea at all about that! I'm new to being gluten-free, too, and I'm with ya on the too many sites come up when trying to search for something.

I wonder if everything with yeast is bad - ? Also I read something about iodine on here, does that include salt?

I'm as lost as you are LOL :D but you sure just taught me something I didn't know!
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Yeast is gluten-free, at least to start with. Yeast extract is thus normally gluten-free as well. Occasionally, spent yeast from the beer-brewing process is used when a flavor is desired (as opposed to a leavening agent, for which spent yeast is useless). "Brewer's yeast," or an extract made from it, has been exposed to barely through the brewing process, and are therefore not gluten-free.

This is a change to the ingredients of Lipton Onion Soup--it has historically been gluten-free for as long as I have been on the diet (ten years).
:( :( :angry:

What you have read about iodine is in reference to DH, and it is the elemental iodide that is the issue. Plain salt is sodium chloride (NaCl), but iodized salt contains traces of sodium iodide (NaI). If you are having an active outbreak of DH, iodine will make it worse, but iodine alone does not cause DH--gluten does.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Lily127

Lily127

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

I'm tempted to drive BACK to the store to double check the box but I swear that's what I saw. I was mightily disappointed as well. I'm craving chips and dip. I used to LOVE Golden Onion Lipton but read that that one had wheat so I decided to go with regular Onion and then I saw the Barley on the label. I have to say if what I saw was correct, I don't understand why a company like Lipton (or Unilever) would, in this day and age of companies striving to offer Gluten Free Products, change their recipe to include Gluten! I'm so bummed!

Yeast is gluten-free, at least to start with. Yeast extract is thus normally gluten-free as well. Occasionally, spent yeast from the beer-brewing process is used when a flavor is desired (as opposed to a leavening agent, for which spent yeast is useless). "Brewer's yeast," or an extract made from it, has been exposed to barely through the brewing process, and are therefore not gluten-free.

This is a change to the ingredients of Lipton Onion Soup--it has historically been gluten-free for as long as I have been on the diet (ten years).

What you have read about iodine is in reference to DH, and it is the elemental iodide that is the issue. Plain salt is sodium chloride (NaCl), but iodized salt contains traces of sodium iodide (NaI). If you are having an active outbreak of DH, iodine will make it worse, but iodine alone does not cause DH--gluten does.

#5 Lily127

Lily127

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hi to everyone by the way!

I should clarify that when I read the label it said Yeast Extract (Barley). It actually said BARLEY on it. I wasn't extrapolating that Yeast Extract is Barley. I would have had no idea Yeast Extract could be bad but it actually said Yeast Extract (Barley). So they were living up to their promise of listing Gluten ingredients I guess. I think I read Unilever made this promise and at least they stuck to it

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

Wow--I can't believe they changed the ingredients to include gluten :angry:

BTW, welcome, Lily :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

I just pulled up this website: http://www.ceceliasm...uct-alerts.html

soup: page 336 (product alert added 4/26/10)
LIPTON - CLARIFICATION:
Kosher
Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is NOT gluten-free
Regular Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is gluten-free

Looks like the regular Lipton dry Onion Soup is still gluten free.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

I just pulled up this website: http://www.ceceliasm...uct-alerts.html

soup: page 336 (product alert added 4/26/10)
LIPTON - CLARIFICATION:
Kosher
Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is NOT gluten-free
Regular Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix is gluten-free

Looks like the regular Lipton dry Onion Soup is still gluten free.

Thanks for posting!
Patti

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

In addition, Lipton is an Unilever Company and their policy is to always list clearly, ALL forms of gluten if used as an ingredient. So, all you have to do is read the labels. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#10 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

She did read the label and it listed barley, only she was reading the Kosher version. It was a product mix-up.
Patti

#11 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

I do have DH on my elbow. I have Morton's Salt and I also have Sea Salt, which states that it has no iodine, "a necessary nutrient".

Could it be that's why my elbow has gotten better since gong gluten-free but keeps coming back - because of the iodine? Maybe I should stick just to the sea salt?
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#12 Lily127

Lily127

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Ok guys, LOL. I just walked two miles to recheck the box.

Ok, first I decided that the local bodega would probably still have the old formation and it did. Ingredients: Onions, Salt, Cornstarch, Onion Powder, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Caramel Color, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Yeast Extract, Natural Flavors, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate

Then I walked the rest of the 2 miles to Shop & Stop and looked at the soups and Autolyzed Yeast Extract (Barley) was listed (like the 5th ingredient down).

Now, LOL, I did not check to see if it was Kosher but I looked at the front of the box and did not see any added information (like Kosher) but I guess tomorrow I'll go BACK and check again. Not tonight, gotta take a shower. I'm sweating. So perhaps the box I saw is the Kosher formation. If it is, I didn't see Kosher!!

Hey I guess I could use the exercize anyway!

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

She did read the label and it listed barley, only she was reading the Kosher version. It was a product mix-up.

Just speaking in general terms, regarding Unilever :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 SuperMolly

SuperMolly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

All I know is that I gave up on eating Lipton Onion Soup mix a couple years ago because every time I ate it I got sick. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it has gluten in it.
I've suffered from intestinal problems since childhood.
Age 30--I was told I had IBS and that I'd just have to "get used to it".
Age 33--I went wheat-free and felt a little better.
Age 36--A friend was diagnosed with celiac disease and recommended that I get tested too. I demanded a test even though the doctor assured me I did "not want it". Test was positive and I have been gluten free ever since.
Age 37 and Counting--I never would have guessed my body could feel this great! :)

#15 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:52 AM

All I know is that I gave up on eating Lipton Onion Soup mix a couple years ago because every time I ate it I got sick. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it has gluten in it.

It is manufactured with products that contain wheat so you may have been reacting to that (cross contamination) if you're sensitive. It also contains soy which certain people can be intolerant to.
Patti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: