30 replies to this topic

#16 Lily127

Lily127

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

Ok I went BACK to the store and checked every inch of that box. It doesn't say Kosher on it anywhere. I studied it for like 5 minutes. So I'm not sure what is going on.

I also had a slight reaction to the dip and chips last night (lays) but that could just be because the onion gave me heartburn (no diarrhea). But honestly, I don't see Kosher anywhere on that box!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Here is Lipton's contact information:

http://www.recipesec...contact_us.aspx

Consumer Service
If you would like to speak to a live representative please call us at:
1-877-995-4490, Monday - Friday, 8:30a.m. - 6:00p.m. EST.

Confirmed by Lipton by phone today (after holding for a half hour), only Lipton Dry Mix ONION is the only remaining mix that continues to be gluten free. There has been no ingredient change and all gluten related-natural flavoring will be identified on the label, as is the policy of Unilever.

The customer representative did not have an ingredients listing for the Kosher Lipton Dry Mix.

Hope this is helpful.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#18 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, Lisa. :)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#19 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Ok I went BACK to the store and checked every inch of that box. It doesn't say Kosher on it anywhere. I studied it for like 5 minutes. So I'm not sure what is going on.

I also had a slight reaction to the dip and chips last night (lays) but that could just be because the onion gave me heartburn (no diarrhea). But honestly, I don't see Kosher anywhere on that box!

It may just have a circle with a k in it http://www.yrm.org/koshersymbols.htm
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#20 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Thanks, Lisa. :)

You're welcome Peter. I would also encourage all members to call companies. But, as I have also mentioned in the past, your information is only as good as your customer representative you speak with. Use multiple sources and personal experience, then make a choice. It's not a perfect world. What is black and white for one, is very gray for others. And, a product does not always pin-point an issue.

I am not sensitive to cross contamination, and I often do forget that others are. I am sorry for my oversight in that area. ;)
Lisa

#21 Lily127

Lily127

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the information Lisa and for calling them! That was nice of you!

I guess reading labels is still the most important thing. If you just pick up a box or a jar of something without a label check something could go wrong.

The boxes I saw were probably Kosher but for the life of me it's not very evident. I'm somewhat familiar with Kosher symbols and didn't seem to see one so I'm glad I read the label (ingredients) :)

L

Here is Lipton's contact information:

http://www.recipesec...contact_us.aspx

Consumer Service
If you would like to speak to a live representative please call us at:
1-877-995-4490, Monday - Friday, 8:30a.m. - 6:00p.m. EST.

Confirmed by Lipton by phone today (after holding for a half hour), only Lipton Dry Mix ONION is the only remaining mix that continues to be gluten free. There has been no ingredient change and all gluten related-natural flavoring will be identified on the label, as is the policy of Unilever.

The customer representative did not have an ingredients listing for the Kosher Lipton Dry Mix.

Hope this is helpful.

#22 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

It may just have a circle with a k in it http://www.yrm.org/koshersymbols.htm

Another symbol on kosher food is a P in a circle, meaning parve. Parve (neutral) foods are kosher and are neither meat nor dairy. Meat and dairy cannot be combined, but parve foods can be used in combination with either.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#23 Beth41777

Beth41777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I also read the label recently when I went to buy some lipton onion soup mix and it definitely said barley!

#24 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

I also read the label recently when I went to buy some lipton onion soup mix and it definitely said barley!

If this is so, then the gluten-free status has changed. Barley is kosher, but not gluten-free. :( :angry:
Peter

#25 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:49 AM

I have a new box of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix I just picked up and see the ingredients have changed. This one contains autolyzed yeast extract (barley).

Guess that means I give it away, huh? Dammit!!!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#26 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:22 AM

I have a new box of Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix I just picked up and see the ingredients have changed. This one contains autolyzed yeast extract (barley).

Guess that means I give it away, huh? Dammit!!!

Is it possible that autolyzed yeast extract, is so processed that the offending gluten is removed.

I will research and post what I find.
Lisa

#27 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

I believe, but am not certain, that autolyzed yeast process removes the offending protein, which is dangerous to those with Celiac, regardless of the source.

I will research and post what I find.

Thanks, Lisa! I'll look forward to reading what you find out. The word "barley" certainly sends up red flags for me.

I also have an older unopened box of this soup mix and the ingredient list has definitely changed. At least Unilever is good about listing the ingredients. I bought the new box without even looking at the ingredients after a recent discussion on this list about regular Lipton onion soup still being safe (but not the Kosher). Regardless of any box or can, I always re-read the ingredient list of any product before I use it.
Sylvia

#28 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

http://www.glutenfre...dient.php#yeast

Yeast
All brand-name packaged yeasts sold in the US are gluten free. Autolyzed yeast in a food product is generally considered gluten free. Brewers' yeast, when it's a by-product of beer, is not considered gluten free. Brewers yeast nutritional supplements, however, can be made from either brewer's yeast or sugar. If made from sugar, they are gluten free.

Here is a "little" something... although it says "generally", let's clear that up.

From here:

http://www.celiac.co...-yeast-extract/

Ok, I know that Wiki is not the best source, but this is science on the process:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast

Yeast extract
Main article: Yeast extract
Marmite and Vegemite have a distinctive dark colour
Marmite and Vegemite, products made from yeast extract

Yeast extract is the common name for various forms of processed yeast products that are used as food additives or flavours. They are often used in the same way that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used, and like MSG, often contain free glutamic acid. The general method for making yeast extract for food products such as Vegemite and Marmite on a commercial scale is to add salt to a suspension of yeast making the solution hypertonic, which leads to the cells shrivelling up. This triggers autolysis, where the yeast's digestive enzymes break their own proteins down into simpler compounds, a process of self-destruction. The dying yeast cells are then heated to complete their breakdown, after which the husks (yeast with thick cell walls which would give poor texture) are separated. Yeast autolysates are used in Vegemite and Promite (Australia); Marmite, Bovril and Oxo (the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland and South Africa); and Cenovis (Switzerland)

(the bold is mine)...thus, my non-scientific brain tells me that the offending (barley) proteins are no longer a danger to my body due to the fact that the autolysis yeast is rendered gluten free, through this process.

:D :blink:
Lisa

#29 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:52 AM

I think folks should use caution with this product. I know that technically it can be considered the 'gluten is processed out' but personally I would avoid the product the same as I avoid codex wheat starch.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#30 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

I think I'll skip it as I have enough problems as it is. We could probably make our own using Herb-Ox instant beef bouillon and dried instant minced onions. It's just so darn convenient to have the onion soup mix on hand, not that I use that much of it.

I just noticed that it also contains soy (also true for the Herb-Ox chicken bouillon)...just what I need when I'm trying to figure out what my problems are. Posted Image
Sylvia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: