22 replies to this topic

#1 conniebky

conniebky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

So I get up this morning, don't feel terrific, feel tired and yucky (not gluten yucky)drive to work, remember I need celery for work, go in the store, get the celery.

Drive down the road a bit and become totally disoriented. Literally, I wanted to pull over and literally could not figure out how to. So I made a dangerous turn and got pulled into a lot, called my daughter, she didn't answer.

I said, oh, cool, Im going to faint in this car and the sun will come up and cook me.

So I get back out in traffic, get across the street to Walgreens. I walked in there and couldn't figure out where they would possibly keep their orange juice. So I go up to this man I go, "can you get me some oj I'm diabetic. Been there done that with the hypoglycemia thing - diabetic is a word people understand.

He goes and gets me some orange juice. I drink it and keep feeling worse. My daughter called me back, she's on her way, I was sitting by this Kodak machine it was to my right side and I kept thinking what is that bright light shining, it was bugging me.

After another whole hour, no better. Then this man that works there (BTW, I'm writing Walgreens a letter about how helpful everyone was) anyway, this man that works there, bless his heart, brought me some peanut butter crackers and said, "here, eat these, these will help" bless his heart, what a sweet man. I said, through sudden tears, I can't eat those"

They end up rolling me out front and get in my daughter's car, she brought me peanut butter I tried to eat that but when I get like that, I can't eat, but I got some down....she drove me to the hospital where she works, they got me signed in, then we waited for about 20 minutes, I was drinking oj and eating PB, and I go, "ok! I feel better, let's go!"

Well, she's a nursing assistant and knows all about blood sugar and all that, and she made me write down what I ate all weekend, and it was downright scary. rice. 4 cookies. some more rice. that's literally all I ate this weekend. I might have had a piece of chicken on Friday, but I can't remember.

So I got the lecture of all lectures and we went over moms for lunch and I couldn't eat that, neither. Karen G, you said something about your son -- you would give him enough juice so that he could eat, and when I read that, I thought, well, that's how I get, like I can't eat...

Anyway, then we went to the grocery and I'm stocked now. I got those bars you all were telling me about and lots of things to throw in my purse. She got me a huge bag of chicken breasts and a huge thing of frozen sirloin burgers so I can just throw 'em in a skillet right quick.

I also didn't eat supper last night or breakfast this morning, so, yeah, I learned my lesson. But my hypog. has NEVER been this bad. I literally couldn't walk, my legs felt like rubber and they felt cold, too. She took my vitals but never told me what they were. She wanted to call 911 but I said seriously, hon, we both know what this is and I'm not in peril.

Never ever ever again will I do that to myself (or my family) It's like my body doesn't store food anymore, like the breads were a sponge that hung around longer or something...I've lost 5 pounds, tomorrow is 3 weeks gluten-free for me. Mom says that's ok with the weight loss, she said anything more than 1.5 pounds a week the doctors don't like.

I just find it SO hard to believe that skipping a meal or two could put you on the floor. After we went to the market, we went over her house and cooked a burger on a plate and I drank a bunch of milk and a special K protein thing and now I feel better but not like myself, but not scary anymore.

She wants me to go to an internist and tell them all this and get me on a straight track. She says I'm trying to do too much all at once, without dr supervision.

Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

Connie,
Please keep something close to you at all times. Hypoglycemia left untreated can cause seizures as well as a diabetic like coma. It is not something to fool around with. Make sure you eat something every 2 to 3 hours. DO Not and I will repeat DO NOT skip evening and breakfast meals. (My mother hen attitude coming out here, lol) Even if you don't feel like eating you need to eat a little something. You were a very lucky lady today.
Stay well.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#3 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

You poor thing. I know it's so very easy to forget to eat anything, I have a "flatline" appetite in the few weeks I have been gluten/casein free and experiencing some "withdrawal". (It's actually been the best thing about this for me who needs to drop a few pounds). But I also know I feel BETTER when I do eat something agreeable, especially protein like chicken breast, so please don't forget to eat!!!! ;)
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

Connie (stern look),

Sometimes we want someone to take care of us, but really we have to do it ourselves. If you need to, sit quietly with some paper and make a plan. That's the thing with Celiac and sugar problems, we must think about food ahead. Nothing is spontaneous. On to a new reality, my friend.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 chasbari

chasbari

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

I would make sure you are getting more protein. Looks like with the rice you weren't getting any to speak of. I just made a quick two day trip to NYC where I took as much food as I could with me. I ate all the time and still lost 10 percent of my body weight in 48 hours. Keep those calories up as your body is very busy healing at this point. When I eat lots of carbs I get hungrier by the second. When I eat lots of protein the appetite really calms down. Lucky for you your daughter is there for you. Glad you are here writing about surviving this!

#6 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:59 AM

It was so interesting last night when we went to the gluten-free section of the market. I was OH! they (you all) said get this! Oh! they said get this! Most everything you all suggested was there and those Lara bars were 10 for $10. I had to scoot around there in one of those drive around carts, she wouldn't let me walk and I surely didn't feel like it.

Jif makes little "to go" cups so we got those to throw in my purse. And Cocoa Puffs listed wheat as an ingredient! no kidding!

Well, we never did pay for that orange juice at Walgreens, I'm going back today to thank them and pay for the orange juice.

My daughter said, "geez ma, you'll go a long way to shoplift a little bit of juice". :D

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:57 AM

I am glad your okay. I do agree that you should make an appointment with your doctor and get things checked out though. Just to be on the safe side you should get a fasting blood sugar and an A1C. Let's make sure you are not going from being hypoglycemic to diabetic okay?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:12 AM

Connie, what a scary situation you went through and I'm glad it turned out well.

General Mills now has Nature Valley Almond Crunch bars if you can eat nuts (box is marked gluten free). They contain roasted almonds, peanuts and sunflower seeds and have 6 gams of protein per bar. Very yummy. I picked up a box at my local Wal-Mart last week for $2.68 (pack of 6 bars). Handy to have on hand for something quick to eat.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#9 zergcoffeebean

zergcoffeebean

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:30 AM

I know my situation isn't exactly the same. But I'm going through something simmilar. Only I get nauseated when I go hypo too. I don't know what to do about it. I've got like no food at home and I have to eat contantly. I don't understand. And I'm so hungry and sick feeling and there is a plate of banana muffins my mom made on the counter that I can't eat. And I just want to eat one. I want to cry.

Thank you for sharing your post with me. I'm glad to know that my experience is simmilar to yours. I hope you feel better soon!
gluten-free since February 2010.
Hypothyroidism as of July 9th, 2010

#10 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:19 AM

I know my situation isn't exactly the same. But I'm going through something simmilar. Only I get nauseated when I go hypo too. I don't know what to do about it. I've got like no food at home and I have to eat contantly. I don't understand. And I'm so hungry and sick feeling and there is a plate of banana muffins my mom made on the counter that I can't eat. And I just want to eat one. I want to cry.

Thank you for sharing your post with me. I'm glad to know that my experience is simmilar to yours. I hope you feel better soon!

Let's see, I got nauseated, blurred vision, complete body weakness, sweating, shaking, things like that. I just looked up hypoglycemia (which I have already been dx'd with and I wish I hadn't done that because they had all kinds of scary things to say about the pancreas.

but one thing it said was "an autoimmune disorder lowers sugar levels in the blood by changing insulin secretion or by some other means"

#11 6ft6

6ft6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

I'm right there with you. I literally cannot force food down when i have a full on attack. Last week i had symptoms every day for 6 days. My neuro problems were so bad i couldn't get up the stairs. I didn't eat any food for three days. All I could do was lay in bed and twitch and sweat oil. I stopped taking my blood pressure med, ate only raw food, and am beginning to improve. This is the second time that a prescription refill has put me down drain.

I too keep something with me, but it takes quite a while to get appetite back after a good dosing.

Hang in there - I was ready to toss in the towel at 4am monday morning - i've been obsessively gluten free since diagnosis 2 years ago, and i haven't had more than a week at a time where i wasn't sick in that whole time.

#12 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

ok, i am going to be the "witch"....do you realize that you could lose your drivers license? Driving while impaired! no, i am not kidding....PLEASE! you need to commit to a dietary regimen and stick to it or dont drive, every other person on the road was in danger from you! so...if you cant do it for yourself, do it for the rest of us.

#13 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

ok, i am going to be the "witch"....do you realize that you could lose your drivers license? Driving while impaired! no, i am not kidding....PLEASE! you need to commit to a dietary regimen and stick to it or dont drive, every other person on the road was in danger from you! so...if you cant do it for yourself, do it for the rest of us.

You're not being a witch, I totally agree with you. I thought about that when I got in bed last night....very disturbing. :(

#14 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Connie,

Really scary experience! It sounds like it may be a starting point for you to make different choices about your diet. FOOD is powerful!

That's why I suggest also slowly starting to add non-processed foods to your diet. For example, instead of a store-bought bar, try a banana or a 1/2 cup of berries. A diet based in whole foods would do wonders for your hypoglycemia (it did for me) and help you prevent diabetes.

When you see your doctor, maybe s/he could refer you to a nutritionist.

Best of luck. Keep us informed!

lucia

#15 conniebky

conniebky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

Ok, the doctor that I used to work for is a GP. This is so stupid, but here's the story. When I left there for a better job, after years, which liked to kilt me, the girl he hired to take my place, well, she doesn't like me. Why, I don't know, she doesn't like me because I used to work there and she's sick and tired of hearing about the great and powerful legacy of Connie oh please. My best friend there was Teresa, and we are still best friends.

Well, yesterday when this happened, my daughter called him but teresa wasn't there and the new girl, as soon as she heard my name, said, "if she's sick, tell her to go to the er" and my daughter said, "put Dr. *** on the phone please" and she refused so my daughter hung up on her. Well I just talked to Teresa and she is ticked off to say the least. Dr *** is FURIOUS and he is sending me for a 5 hour blood glucose test and then I'm going to see him and he also wants to check my hormones, because that can screw with your glucose - ? Never heard of that before, but.....we're at least getting on the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: