#1 Yup

Yup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hello Canadian Celiacs,

Boston Pizza just launched their gluten-free Pizza (personal size), and they are not charging extra for it!

Can't wait to try it!

Many smiles,
Miila's Mom

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

That's so exciting! Any idea on how the CC factor plays in?

#3 Yup

Yup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

That's so exciting! Any idea on how the CC factor plays in?

This is the link to the article that I saw:

http://www.examiner....uten-free-pizza

#4 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

I ate there yesterday, it was fantastic!!! The staff was awesome, my waitress read all of the ingredients on their meats and told me which ones contained gluten fillers, and she assured me that the pizza would be cooked on parchment paper and cut with a clean knife, etc. I was initially worried about how the make the dough since they make their poison dough there as well, but it turns out it's kinnikinnick crust! Now I can go watch the hockey games with my friends and not feel so left out :D

#5 Coinkey

Coinkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

I ate there the other day. Asked for a chicken salad with grilled rather than breaded chicken. I explained why and guess what came on top the salad? A great big piece of garlic toast. Good grief!
Self diagnosed as gluten free as all tests were negative and the doctor was completely useless.

Gluten Free since June 2010
Suspecting soy and milk as of June 2011

#6 glutenfreegirl

glutenfreegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

This i great thanks for posting, we are going to Canada to visit some family this week, so YUM a place we can all go and be happy..thanks again
celiac blood test positve 11/10
stool test postive 2009

#7 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

I ate there the other day. Asked for a chicken salad with grilled rather than breaded chicken. I explained why and guess what came on top the salad? A great big piece of garlic toast. Good grief!

I could see how this would be a problem. The kitchen is educated about allergies and is super careful, but when the food comes out the "Expo" person at the back dresses the salads with garlic toast, or whatever else comes with it. When the waitresses punch the meal in on the computer they can put special request and say gluten allergy, and it is supposed to be printed out and put by the dish so that expo knows not to contaminate the dish. That's how it was when I worked there, so I'd definitely ask the waitress to mention it to all staff dealing with food not just the kitchen

#8 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

omg I had no idea!! I just looked at their website and I can even order a gluten-free pizza through their online ordering system :) They are the sponsor for my soccer team and thus far there have only been 3 items on the menu that are celiac-safe... now I can enjoy a pizza after the game if I want! :D

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#9 Gluten_Is_Icky

Gluten_Is_Icky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

I tried this the other day, It was definately my favorite gluten-free pizza I've tried so far. I've done a couple make at home crusts and they've all been kinda "meh" but I really enjoyed this one. It's just so different when it's made at a restaurant. It passed the non-gluten-free boyfriend test too!

Luckily I don't live too close to any BP's or I'd be taking WAY too much advantage of this.
gluten-free one year. Always careful, Always Learning...

#10 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

I tried this the other day, It was definately my favorite gluten-free pizza I've tried so far. I've done a couple make at home crusts and they've all been kinda "meh" but I really enjoyed this one. It's just so different when it's made at a restaurant. It passed the non-gluten-free boyfriend test too!

Luckily I don't live too close to any BP's or I'd be taking WAY too much advantage of this.

I am gonna sound a bit negative and I am sorry for that. Am I the only one that was disappointed that it 'wasn't' a fresh dough? I had already tried the kinnick pizza crusts months ago, but found the taste oddly sweet. When I heard about BP having gluten free pizza i was very excited. Unfortunately my server fibbed that it was a fresh made crust, since I recognized it by its rectangular shape. Maybe she was new, or just excited that they had something to offer, but my face just fell when I saw it.

BUT, all that being said, the server WAS on point with what could and couldn't go on it, worked with me, and other than that weird sweetness, it was very nice to be on a patio, relaxing and heating a hot cooked meal. So at face value, its great for that.

I still prefer homemade. I found a great recipe months ago and feel like I won the pizza lottery, which probably contributed to my feeling let down at BP.

Still, every step forward is amazing to people becoming informed and interested in helping us enjoy eating out.

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

I am gonna sound a bit negative and I am sorry for that. Am I the only one that was disappointed that it 'wasn't' a fresh dough? I had already tried the kinnick pizza crusts months ago, but found the taste oddly sweet. When I heard about BP having gluten free pizza i was very excited. Unfortunately my server fibbed that it was a fresh made crust, since I recognized it by its rectangular shape. Maybe she was new, or just excited that they had something to offer, but my face just fell when I saw it.

BUT, all that being said, the server WAS on point with what could and couldn't go on it, worked with me, and other than that weird sweetness, it was very nice to be on a patio, relaxing and heating a hot cooked meal. So at face value, its great for that.

I still prefer homemade. I found a great recipe months ago and feel like I won the pizza lottery, which probably contributed to my feeling let down at BP.

Still, every step forward is amazing to people becoming informed and interested in helping us enjoy eating out.

You are NOT alone in thinking this. When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease I went to BP and thought the pizza was ok but definitely not good (I was feeling pretty desperate at the time of diagnosis). The toppings were fine but the crust? Ick. I generally do not eat out anyway unless it is a high end restaurant where there are no deep fryers, etc. anyway. I agree that homemade gluten-free pizza is vastly superior. No comparison to Kinnickinnik. And when you make your own you can switch up toppings like crazy!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Having eaten the gluten-free pizza at my local Boston Pizza, I am inclined to believe the report that the crusts are by Kinnikinnick. I suppose your local franchise could try to make their own, but the one here seems genuine.

In the Toronto area Boston Pizza, Pizza Pizza, Il Fornello, and Pizza Nova offer gluten-free pizza (there may be others that I am not aware of). None of the crusts are prepared "fresh" at the pizzeria. They all arrive prepared at an offsite location. Some arrive frozen. Of the three I have tried, I rank Il Fornello first, then Boston Pizza, then Pizza Pizza. I have no experience with Pizza Nova.

My favorite by far is the crust we make at home using the Gluten Free Pantry French Bread & Pizza Mix. :)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#13 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

Are you willing to share your recipe?

#14 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

I tried this pizza a couple of weeks ago - I too am sure it is a Kinnikinnick crust, which I don't buy at home. However, having said that, Woohoo ! I got to eat out safely, eat pizza in a pizza place, with friends & didn't get sick. Nice. I don't eat out much but I would definitely order it again - it was also nice to have a nice selections of toppings.

#15 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

BP crust is indeed Kinnickinnik - I asked. The crust is so far removed from a true pizza crust in my opinion so I make my own. I did have BP pizza once soon after my diagnosis and I thought it was ok but homemade rules, especially grilled on the barbecue for that lovely charred crust. Plus our BP is NOT careful when it comes to CC I found out after having it (they use the same utensils!); hopefully other locations are far more cautious. I definitely do NOT trust them which is no great loss! :lol:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: