This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Probably Have Celiac Disease

linkinforcer

linkinforcer Newbie

Hi,

My name is Trey and I am 25 years old and live in Dallas, Tx. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Two months ago I went to Whataburger and got there chicken sandwich. I got home and ate it and went to bed and then two hours later I'm throwing up. I'm out of work for 4 days because of it and the nausea was unbelievable. I did however recover and even had a doctor tell me it was salmonella poisoning. So I go back to work and my regular diet which at the time consisted mainly of fast food. I ddi notice that within that first week after I recovered after I ate I would feel nauseated but it would go away within 2-3 hours. Then I didn't have any nausea at all and was back to normal about a week later. I go and get chinese food about 3-4 days later and then 2 hours after I eat I'm throwing it up again and this time the nausea doesn't go away. I have non-stop nausea everyday for about a moth and a half while having tests done to figure out what is going on. One test shows that my gallbladder is no longer working and the doctors account that as my problem so I had it removed 3 weeks ago. I still have nausea but not as bad but I can eat whatever I want. Now I'm having problems with being regular when it comes to going to the restroom. After surgery it took a week before I could go and I was regular for about 5 days and then it just stopped. Then yesterday after about 5 days of not being able to go its like someone turned my intestines on and I had three large BMs but after the first two I was nauseated. I am so frustrated because I have no idea what is going on anymore. I have no idea what is really safe for me to eat and whats not. What restaurants or fast food places I can go to if any. I'm just trying to get help and understand what I need to look out for and what I can eat. I have researched things online but they seem to contradict. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

First off you need to be eating a low fat diet, as far as I know, when your gallbladder has been removed. It is not uncommon for celiac to be triggered by illness or stress. Whether that is your issue or not I can't say. You should think about getting a celiac panel done as a first step and perhaps an endoscopy. They both do have a fairly high rate of false negatives though especially early on in the disease. You also should ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist who can tell you what and how to eat post gallbladder removal.

linkinforcer Newbie

First off you need to be eating a low fat diet, as far as I know, when your gallbladder has been removed. It is not uncommon for celiac to be triggered by illness or stress. Whether that is your issue or not I can't say. You should think about getting a celiac panel done as a first step and perhaps an endoscopy. They both do have a fairly high rate of false negatives though especially early on in the disease. You also should ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist who can tell you what and how to eat post gallbladder removal.

Well, see they say I can eat whatever I want.....I know that sounds weird but thats what they say. I am trying to find websites out there that give gluten free menus for restaurants in my area. I've already had an endoscopy done also which everything came back negative. I can't remember if I said this in my post or not but My doctor is testing me for both Lupus and Celiac Disease. He told me one test already is positive for one of them but doesn't want to cause alarm and will call me thursday to let me know the final results. I also have appointments with two different Rheumatologists to take things further in depth if I need to. I know right now I just need to avoid bread, breaded foods, and other foods alike. I don't know how to explain it but when I eat bread in anyway shape or form its like my body feels kinda crummy for a little bit. Nothing to affect anything I am doing but its like a weird "Hey what are you doing?" feeling from my body but tis short lived.

Korwyn Explorer

Actually, after gall bladder removal your dietary fat content is entirely dependent on your bile production from your liver. My sister and wife both have had their gall bladder removed. My wife is eating a very high fat/protein, gluten free, casein free, paleo style diet with me without any problems. My sister on the other hand has to take bile enzymes ahead of time (or with) a hamburger or anything greasy/fatty.

How does your body feel if you eat some gluten-free bread? Go to a gluten-free or health food store and find a loaf of Udi's bread and try it for a couple days in place of your regular bread. Just as an experiment.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Well, see they say I can eat whatever I want.....I know that sounds weird but thats what they say.

And you may be able to, as I said I really don't know for sure. There are a few folks here who have had theirs our and they would know better than I. There are some posts that are specifically talking about gallbladder removal. Some are quite recent so you may want to take a look at those. You could find them by putting 'gallbladder' in the board search at the top of the page. If your doing fine with the fats issue then go with what your doctor is telling you.

kareng Grand Master

i think when your docs say "eat what you want", they don't mean large quantities of fast food or junk food. Try some fruits and veggies or salad. A perfect digestive system doesn't do well with fast food all the time.

linkinforcer Newbie

i think when your docs say "eat what you want", they don't mean large quantities of fast food or junk food. Try some fruits and veggies or salad. A perfect digestive system doesn't do well with fast food all the time.

Yeah...I'm actually eating like a little better now going gluten free and it seems like my digestive track is starting to come around. I just got done eating a large amount of Pace Picanti Sauce with Cheese and Tostitos. Not sure if that was a good idea or not as I'm feeling a bit sick right now. That is or was my favorite snack. I;m actually trying to figure out if I am lactose intolerant now. I'm still not 100% sure yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

siglfritsch Newbie

Hi,

My name is Trey and I am 25 years old and live in Dallas, Tx. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Two months ago I went to Whataburger and got there chicken sandwich. I got home and ate it and went to bed and then two hours later I'm throwing up. I'm out of work for 4 days because of it and the nausea was unbelievable. I did however recover and even had a doctor tell me it was salmonella poisoning. So I go back to work and my regular diet which at the time consisted mainly of fast food. I ddi notice that within that first week after I recovered after I ate I would feel nauseated but it would go away within 2-3 hours. Then I didn't have any nausea at all and was back to normal about a week later. I go and get chinese food about 3-4 days later and then 2 hours after I eat I'm throwing it up again and this time the nausea doesn't go away. I have non-stop nausea everyday for about a moth and a half while having tests done to figure out what is going on. One test shows that my gallbladder is no longer working and the doctors account that as my problem so I had it removed 3 weeks ago. I still have nausea but not as bad but I can eat whatever I want. Now I'm having problems with being regular when it comes to going to the restroom. After surgery it took a week before I could go and I was regular for about 5 days and then it just stopped. Then yesterday after about 5 days of not being able to go its like someone turned my intestines on and I had three large BMs but after the first two I was nauseated. I am so frustrated because I have no idea what is going on anymore. I have no idea what is really safe for me to eat and whats not. What restaurants or fast food places I can go to if any. I'm just trying to get help and understand what I need to look out for and what I can eat. I have researched things online but they seem to contradict. Any advice would be helpful.Thanks

It's probably just your gallbladder problem. Lots of times it takes months for the body to adjust to gallbladder removal and your bowels will be way off. Diarrhea after eating is the most common complaint but your bowel problems should resolve in time. Eat a bland low fat diet for awhile, also.

Archived