This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help I Miss Pizza

kellykay

kellykay Rookie

I 'never ate alot of junk food.. but I am seriously missing pizza. and after a very bad experience with pizza pizza.. I am afaird to try it again. I live northwest of toronto... what is there out there .. and what about the frozen ones at the store....

I would even be willing to try and make my own.. I have a bread maker but have yet to use it... I need help anyone???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I 'never ate alot of junk food.. but I am seriously missing pizza. and after a very bad experience with pizza pizza.. I am afaird to try it again. I live northwest of toronto... what is there out there .. and what about the frozen ones at the store....

I would even be willing to try and make my own.. I have a bread maker but have yet to use it... I need help anyone???

I would definitely try to make my own. There are loads of pizza crust recipes on here, or buy one of the packaged mixes - many of them are reviewed on the forum also with recommendations for which are the best. I have found most purchased pizza bases to be disappointing.

Roda was even talking yesterday about grilled pizza here:

Sounded wonderful and it is grilling season already. The crusts are really not that hard to make; you just have to adjust your thinking that you do not roll the dough out, you "spread" it. :D

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Boston pizzas in canada now have gluten-free pizza, made with kinnikinnick crust! I tried it yesterday and it was awesome! Note: the italian sausage and salami are NOT gluten-free but the pepperoni and bacon are. They even told me that they cooked it on parchment paper, used separate ingredients, etc. It was great.

Yup Apprentice

Boston pizzas in canada now have gluten-free pizza, made with kinnikinnick crust! I tried it yesterday and it was awesome! Note: the italian sausage and salami are NOT gluten-free but the pepperoni and bacon are. They even told me that they cooked it on parchment paper, used separate ingredients, etc. It was great.

Thanks! I can't wait to try it.

kschauer Rookie

BJ Brewery just recently added gluten free pizza to their menu.

It's okay - don't think pizza of the good ole days think more like frozen pizza. :)

ciavyn Contributor

There are great pizza options -- zPizza has gluten-free pizzas, and more and more local pizzarias are stocking up on gluten-free crusts. You can also make your own. Just focus on the topics and the flavor, and not the crust. :)

poopedout Apprentice

Kinnikinnick makes great pizza crusts. It is easy to add your own toppings. You have to cook it for longer and at a higher temperature than they recommend on the box. I tried the Pizza Pizza and I did not like it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I like the frozen Kinnikinnick crusts. I cook them for 4 minutes then add topping and cook until the toppings are ready. Its hard to get any pizza crust fully browned in my oven before the toppings burn. We also liked Chebe mix. It had spices in that gave it a nice flavor. Glop it on your pan then take a piece of greased plastic wrap or parchment paper. Put the paper on top and squish it flat with your fingers.

Juliebove Rising Star

We buy the Amy's but it is not very good as is. I add a mix of extra cheese and some pizza seasoning. Sometimes I use the Ener-G rice flour crusts and just make my own. Have also used the Namaste crust mix. It's excellent but I'm too lazy to want to do that very often.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We have fantastic pizza once a week. Homemade is very easy, way better than frozen, and my son's 10 year old best friend says I make "the best pizza ever" and he doesn't have Celiac! In fact, he begs his mom to make my pizza! Here's the recipe. I also included the sauce I make because if you're going to do it you might as well go all out!!

PIZZA CRUST

INGREDIENTS:

1 Tbs dry yeast

1/2 tsp of sugar

2/3 cup of warm water

2/3 cups of brown rice flour

1/2 cup of tapioca flour

2 Tbs of dried milk powder

2 tsp of xanthan gum

1/2 tsp of salt

1 tsp of unflavored gelatin powder (we use Knox gelatin)

1 tsp of Italian seasoning (I use McCormick)

1 tsp of olive oil

1 tsp of apple cider vinegar

METHOD:

Pre-heat oven to 425F

Mix sugar, yeast, and warm water and set aside.

Combine dry ingredients in medium sized bowl.

When yeast mixture is frothy (takes about 5-10 minutes), add it and the apple cider vinegar and the olive oil to the dry ingredients. (I double the recipe, and for this part I use a 2 cup glass measuring cup to mix the sugar, water, and yeast, when the mixture has frothed up to the top of the glass I know it

luvs2eat Collaborator

I found the Namaste crust mix in the health food store. It's delicious and the mix makes 2 crusts. I spread out the dough on parchment paper on a pizza pan and then slide the paper off the pan and onto the pizza stone that's preheated in the oven. The resulting pizza has crispy crust and is awesome!

I often do a white pizza w/ a little ranch dressing and broccoli, peppers, and cheese. It's my once-a-week treat!!

4boysmom Apprentice

When hubby was first diagnosed he was about to die for a piece of pizza. One Sunday after church we planned on going to the only place in town that had gluten free crusts, only to find out they don't open until 5 on Sundays. Go figure! We decided to try our hand a grilled pizza. We bought the frozen Kinnikinnick crusts for his. I shared it with him. Wow! I didn't expect much but it was really good. I don't have to eat gluten free but I wanted the toppings on his pizza and not what was on the kids. I really liked it. We put sauce, fajita chicken, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, black olives, and mozzarella on it. I would recommend the frozen Kinnikinnick crusts if you don't want to make your own.

ktotheroll Contributor

Pizza was a staple for me before starting gluten-free, so I know exactly how you feel.

Like others have said, there are options for frozen pizza. Most that I've tried are really good.

I haven't ventured into making my own crusts yet, but sometimes I just put all the pizza toppings (sauce, cheese, pepperoni; all gluten-free, of course) onto a corn tortilla and stick it in the oven until the cheese is melted/browned to your preference. It's simple and actually pretty good!

Almendra Apprentice

We made pizza with the Bob's Red Mill mix. One of my favorite things about crust from pizza places was the little bit of texture from cornmeal on the bottom, so we used cornmeal to help prevent the dough from sticking to the cookie sheet. We also loved a crust brushed with garlic butter, so we made some and brushed it before we put it into the oven for the first time (before putting it in to melt the ingredients).

With these additions, we were both very happy with the pizza (even my husband who does not have to eat gluten-free).

G-freegal12 Contributor

We buy the Amy's but it is not very good as is. I add a mix of extra cheese and some pizza seasoning. Sometimes I use the Ener-G rice flour crusts and just make my own. Have also used the Namaste crust mix. It's excellent but I'm too lazy to want to do that very often.

:o Amy's has CC!!! Watch out!

Archived