20 replies to this topic

#1 Gutsy Girl

Gutsy Girl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

This week, I was thinking about adhesives. I know...I think of the oddest things! But I was thinking about adhesives as they relate to gluten content and Celiac Disease. I have a hunch that we don't often realize how gluten can permeate so many different products we use, though my guess is that those who have DH might be more aware than me (since I don't get DH).

Maybe those with DH have already thought through all of this? But this was, for me, a light bulb moment.

Consider the following products:
* Envelope adhesives (Don't Lick Them - use a sponge!! Better yet, buy the ones with the strip that you tear off to expose adhesive and minimize contact with your body...then wash your hands after).
* Stamps that have adhesive on the back...wash your hands again (or at least after you've sealed the envelope and stamped it and put it in the mailbox). :)
* Stickers of any kind, including those on products you buy, price tags, food items.
* Sticky notes (different brands will have different adhesive formulas)
* Glue
* Food packaging - especially if you live in a mixed gluten and gluten-free diet household! Its possible that meats in those vacuum sealed zip bags could have gluten in the adhesive. I'm especially careful to wash my hands after touching those vacuum sealed bags that are "resealable".
* Ladies, consider adhesives on your feminine products!! Wow...that could be a real bummer.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts bumping around in my brain this week.

Cheers!
Chronic pain, Leg Sx's. LD, ADHD, Depression, GAD. Fibromyalgia, Asthma, Lactose Intol, 20+ Foot Fx, Migraines, Car accident 07 -> LBP, etc. Neuropathy now believed celiac disease-related. **2009 - VERY ill, unable to eat/sleep, Big D, Depression, Fainting, Vision Probs, Myoclonic jerk, Coord + Balance Probs, Heart Palp, Breathing Probs, Extreme Pain, etc. Hospitalized, self-diagnosed gluten issues. Slow recovery since 09, still many IBS + gluten ataxia probs.**
Lactose Free - Childhood (or use Lactaid), GFD 07-28-2009, Almond Free 05, Preservative Free 09, Soy Free 10, Millet Free 10, Potato Free 10, still reacting to many foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:00 AM

This week, I was thinking about adhesives. I know...I think of the oddest things! But I was thinking about adhesives as they relate to gluten content and Celiac Disease. I have a hunch that we don't often realize how gluten can permeate so many different products we use, though my guess is that those who have DH might be more aware than me (since I don't get DH).

Maybe those with DH have already thought through all of this? But this was, for me, a light bulb moment.

Consider the following products:
* Envelope adhesives (Don't Lick Them - use a sponge!! Better yet, buy the ones with the strip that you tear off to expose adhesive and minimize contact with your body...then wash your hands after).
* Stamps that have adhesive on the back...wash your hands again (or at least after you've sealed the envelope and stamped it and put it in the mailbox). :)
* Stickers of any kind, including those on products you buy, price tags, food items.
* Sticky notes (different brands will have different adhesive formulas)
* Glue
* Food packaging - especially if you live in a mixed gluten and gluten-free diet household! Its possible that meats in those vacuum sealed zip bags could have gluten in the adhesive. I'm especially careful to wash my hands after touching those vacuum sealed bags that are "resealable".
* Ladies, consider adhesives on your feminine products!! Wow...that could be a real bummer.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts bumping around in my brain this week.

Cheers!

I have DH and found out the hard way about pads and panty liners. Yes that is a big ouch and not a nice area for a DH outbreak. I know it sounds silly but I used to sandwich them between two pairs of panties but now use ones that can be washed and have no adhesive.
I also have issues with some bandaids. I use the Top Care fabric ones with no issues. The ones that oddly enough cause me the most problems are the ones for sensitive skin.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:40 AM

I have DH and found out the hard way about pads and panty liners. Yes that is a big ouch and not a nice area for a DH outbreak. I know it sounds silly but I used to sandwich them between two pairs of panties but now use ones that can be washed and have no adhesive.
I also have issues with some bandaids. I use the Top Care fabric ones with no issues. The ones that oddly enough cause me the most problems are the ones for sensitive skin.

Oh My Goodness! Thank you for mentioning this! I have had problems with bandaids for the last few years. I'm at the point where I don't use them--I usually can stop a cut from bleeding with a gauze held on it for a while. I've tried Band-aid brand, Curad and Nexcare and they all gave me a terrible rash. The area where the bandaide was stuck on my skin would be worse than the cut or scrape I put the band-aid on. I had given up, but I will look for the Top Care fabric ones ones for next time I have a cut that is really bad and not healing.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if that liquid skin stuff is safe? I used that for a while, but when I was really sick I started to eliminate as many "chemicals" as possible from my life (Being glutened felt like I was being poisoned at times). Now I wonder if the liquid bandage stuff glutened me worse than the food.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#4 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:30 AM

So sorry, very new to being gluten and casein sensitive and all the "lingo". What is meant by DH?
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

DH in this context refers to Dermatitis Herpetiformis, the skin condition associated with celiac disease.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the band-aid tip! Band-aids break me out something terrible. You can see the outline of the band-aid for at least a week after I remove it and it itches like mad!

#7 rdunbar

rdunbar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wanting to ask people what they know about the adhesive used for the labels on my oliveoil bottles, like labels on a wine bottle. I decided to be very careful when I wash off the label and adhesive because I reuse the bottles for water; I wear rubber gloves, scour the sink afterwards with comet
was just curious. I would imagine there would be gluten in the adhesive
and what about the little stickers on apples ect...? I've just been playing it safe and slicing them right off
has anyone checked into this?

#8 macocha

macocha

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

I knew about envelopes, but didn't even think about this. My son doesn't have DH that I know of..he used to get dry skin pretty bad, but not so much anymore, but band-aids...wow - never would have thunk...lol
Son officially diagnosed 3.18.10 with celiac biopsy results. age 12.

daughter, 10, diagnosed fructose intolerant 2009.

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wanting to ask people what they know about the adhesive used for the labels on my oliveoil bottles, like labels on a wine bottle. I decided to be very careful when I wash off the label and adhesive because I reuse the bottles for water; I wear rubber gloves, scour the sink afterwards with comet
was just curious. I would imagine there would be gluten in the adhesive
and what about the little stickers on apples ect...? I've just been playing it safe and slicing them right off
has anyone checked into this?

Adhesives 101 (updated):

Adhesives found on fruit, on envelopes and stamps are perfectly safe. This is another subject that people become confused on. It's understandable if you are newly diagnosed but an area that should be learned because it saves a lot of trouble and anxiety.

With fruit all you have to do is peel off the sticker and wash the fruit. I always wash fruit because, quite frankly, I am more skeeved about other people touching fruit and who knows where their hands have been? Gluten is the last thing I worry about with regards to that. Those stickers are perfectly safe and most of the updated information I have read on Celiac states so. It's an urban legend that just won't die.

Stamps and envelops made in the US are made using corn, not wheat, so are perfectly safe to lick also. However, as so many products are made in China these days and labeling laws do not apply to non-food products, you need to check source of origin for those. I have yet, in 5 years, to get sick from any stamp or envelop and I get sick from the tiniest amounts of gluten, so I would know. This has also been updated and in 2010 America, are deemed safe.

Plain, old soap and water do just fine for washing away anything suspicious on plates, hands, etc. You do not have to wear gloves or scour your sink afterwards, unless you have a contact allergy to wheat. Believe it or not, DH outbreaks are not caused by touching gluten....for all Celiac problems, wheat has to be ingested into the gut. The only way a person is going to break out in a rash is if they have an allergy to wheat...Celiac is an internal reaction. Both problems are common and I would suspect that anyone suffering from DH would also have other skin issues involving wheat.

I would suggest reading Dr. Peter Green's book: Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic. It covers a lot of material and should be read by every Celiac out there. Try to go to a reputable source like this for information on what is safe and what is not because there is so much misinformation out there. It will save you a lot of time and worry and I have found everything in that book to be 100% true. It's not as bad as it used to be and much easier to find the correct information on what to do.

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

I am allergic to paper tape - no idea what kind of adhesive they put on it. I once had a breast biopsy where the doc didn't suture me at all, just glued me back together with paper tape all over my breast (back before they started using surgical glue). It itched like the dickens and I eventually developed hives all over my body from that damned tape. Never let them use that again :ph34r:

However, I recently had a bad gash on my leg from the sharp point of a car door, sutures wouldn't hold, they were having problems with steri strips. Eventually after a very complicated taping procedure with elastotape around the wound drawing it together (which I have never had any problem with) they got the steri strips to hold and then glued them on with surgical glue. I didn't even think to wonder about what was in THAT glue, but it was fine :D And obviously the steri strips were fine too.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

I always thinly slice off the labels on vegetables etc. and don't lick the envelopes etc. Call me chicken. However, I figure I have enough problems without having to worry about CC from the cornstarch. I doubt they get it from a "pure" source.

Similarly, I worry about the "Natural Flavors" in the otherwise grain-less cat food I get (EVO Ancestral Diet). So I always wash my hands after feeding the cat...

In addition, I have reacted very badly to various building materials like Fix-All, floor vinyl glue, pre-mixed wood fill (when sanded), pre-mixed plaster for patching walls etc. etc. Including sheet rock (the powder when cutting or dismantling), and even plywood (the sawdust--the stuff is glued together). It all has starch in it. You guess what kind... Yes, I do know this from hard trial and error since I am a property manager of several old houses... I have discovered I have to wear a heavy duty mask now when we are at the demolition and/or clean up stage due to the gluten dust in the air. NOW when we need to fix a wall we use straight plaster of paris whenever possible.

Bea
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Believe it or not, DH outbreaks are not caused by touching gluten....for all Celiac problems, wheat has to be ingested into the gut. The only way a person is going to break out in a rash is if they have an allergy to wheat...Celiac is an internal reaction. Both problems are common and I would suspect that anyone suffering from DH would also have other skin issues involving wheat.

The NIH would disagree with you on this one.

http://digestive.nid...ac_ez/index.htm

"People with celiac disease canít eat foods or use items with gluten in them."

"You will learn to check labels of foods and other items for gluten. If you eliminate gluten from your diet, your small intestine will heal. If you eat gluten, or use items that contain gluten, you will harm your small intestine."
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

"People with celiac disease canít eat foods or use items with gluten in them."

"You will learn to check labels of foods and other items for gluten. If you eliminate gluten from your diet, your small intestine will heal. If you eat gluten, or use items that contain gluten, you will harm your small intestine."

Unfortunately experience teaches me this is all too true. Nevertheless, washing one's hands does help. Breathing the stuff in as dust however is difficult to avoid in some circumstances without proper protective mask etc. I usually also change my clothes and take a shower... And yes it does make a huge difference even if it does make me look a little ridiculous.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

"People with celiac disease can’t eat foods or use items with gluten in them."

Due to the fact that non-food gluten items can find their way into your mouth (i.e. lipstick), as well as cross contact and lack of sufficient hand washing.

http://www.mayoclini...disease/an01623

Those who react topically to gluten, have a gluten allergy.

It is possible to have Celiac Disease as well as a gluten allergy.
It is possible to have DH as well as a gluten allergy.

Adhesives:

http://glutenfreeral...pes-stamps.html

Question: Is there gluten in envelope glue or stamps?
Answer: No, there is no gluten in envelope glue, according to the international Envelope Manufacturers Association. The Association's website says: "Remoistenable adhesives are derived from corn starch and do not contain wheat or rye gluten."

Furthermore, in the Fall 2007 issue of Gluten Free Living, Amy Ratner reported, "There are actually only a few envelope glue manufacturers in the United States. National Starch & Chemical, a New Jersey company, is one of the largest adhesive suppliers in the world. A company spokesperson says it makes its glue from corn, which is gluten free."

As for stamps, a Post Office spokesman told Ratner there's no gluten in stamp glue either. At any rate, the ingredients in stamp adhesives are much less of an issue, since the vast majority now have pressure adhesive glue and can be pressed onto your mail without the need to lick them.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 rdunbar

rdunbar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

the problem with any kind of processed corn is that is contaminated with gluten always. it is harvested with the same machinery as wheat, stored and processed in the same facilities as wheat is, so it's just always contaminated enough to be harmful. I stopped eating any kind of processed corn, chips, tortillas over a year ago, and I noticed my DH improved afterwards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: