This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Friendly's

sillyken

sillyken Enthusiast

Hi,

I went to Friendly's the other day and got Ice Cream. I explained my allergy and they showed me the ingredients on a ice cream box and did not see wheat. So does anyone know if it is Gluten Free because I am breaking out with DH like crazy?

Ken Ritter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I think you'd have to tell us what flavor.

richard

VydorScope Proficient

Could have gotten contimated from something else in thier kitchen too.

sillyken Enthusiast

It was just plain vanella.

lovegrov Collaborator

It should have been gluten-free.

richard

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Maybe the ice cream was contaminated from doubling dipping spoons from gluten to gluten free ice cream. Did you eat anything else there?

LqrMan Newbie

I have eaten at Friendly's a few times since being diagnosed. I have also had the vanilla and the black raspberry ice cream 2 times. I really love the black ras and it did NOT give me any problems. Keep in mind I do not have DH though... Sure you were not contaminated somewhere else? Could be cross contamination as was just mentioned as well.

Sorry to hear that!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sillyken Enthusiast

Yes. The next night I went to Applebees and got a stake. I specifically told waitress about my disease and she was good enough to catch one of the cheffs putting bread on the plate. I'm wondering if there is wheat in the seasoning. They told me they would make it right but my gut says something is amiss.

About the ice cream, the other thought I had was that pieces of the cone might have gotten in the ice cream bucket.

Ken

Carriefaith Enthusiast
About the ice cream, the other thought I had was that pieces of the cone might have gotten in the ice cream bucket.

That is also very possible

casnco Enthusiast

I have been wondering how long it would take for DH to appear after an accidental glutenting. It is always accidental so it is hard to say. Until now for me. At a party in April the host told me a dessert salad was made with rice. I was very exicted and ate a tablespoon or two. I went back for seconds it was so good. Then I noticed, That wasnt rice it was PASTA! Wheat pasta! OMG. Fear, panic, set in. I vomited. Thought everything was cool. No DH outbreak. Four weeks later, what happens? You guessed it, DH breakout. I really do not believe I was accidentally glutened immediately before the break out. So I have come to the conclusion the protien floats around in the blood for quite some time before the DH appears.

Anyone else have a guess?

LqrMan Newbie

I think everyone's bodies are different with how long it takes to get a reaction.

On a side note, I remember eating at an Applebees 5 yrs ago for my bday. My parents took me out and I had a tough time finding something to eat there. Apparently they get meat that is already pre-flavored containing gluten. Now, this was yrs ago and in Rhode Island, I don't know if it is still true. I was able to have a steak that was unseasoned and they just got it in before it was contaminated.

Guest Eloisa

That restaurant is bad. They never have anything that we can eat and they're not very accomodating. I'm in Houston. Be careful of steaks that have been marinated as they may contain gluten.

casnco Enthusiast

Now I am probably sidetracking a little but since you mentioned Applebys. I must have just had a wonderful waiter. I live in Columbus, Ohio, and on a recent visit to a suberbian Appleby's (which I just usually avoid because I don't really like chain resturants like that) I explained to the waiter about my allergies. He went and got the manager and the two of them went to the back and researched all of the ingredients in their marinade for chicken. The manager came out and told me they could grill a plain chicken breast for me in a clean pan! and they went to the grocery store and bought safe salad dressing for me! They were absolutley the best. I know that it was the people not the resturant but those guys were wonderful.

Boojca Apprentice

Here is what I received from Friendly's just last month (by the way, I would be all my money on you getting sick at Applebee's...they are notorious...):

Below is the information in regard to our ice cream products that CONTAIN gluten. I hope this information is helpful.

HALF GALLONS/BULK: WHEAT PRODUCTS

APPLE PIE A LA MODE

BIG AIR P.B. BROWNIE DOUGH

BOSTON CREAM PIE

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH

CHOCOLATE COOKIES

sillyken Enthusiast

Thank you for all of your replies. It has been very helpful.

Ken

• 2 months later...
liz0324 Newbie

I live in Columbus, OH also...where is this Applebees???

Guest BERNESES

Just to add in my two cents, I have been having problems lately with getting ice cream. I always get what I know is gluten-free and watch them wash the scoop but I think I am very sensitive to cross contamination so it looks like I'm about to become dairy Queen's best soft-serve customer. :( Not that I don't like DQ but I miss going out for hard ice cream).

mouse Enthusiast
Yes. The next night I went to Applebees and got a stake. I specifically told waitress about my disease and she was good enough to catch one of the cheffs putting bread on the plate. I'm wondering if there is wheat in the seasoning. They told me they would make it right but my gut says something is amiss.

Ken

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mouse Enthusiast

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We went to an Applebees about a year ago. The manager told me that everything was preseasoned except the salmon steaks. He went and real ALL the labeling. He told me to bring my own baked potato next time and they would cook it for me. He was super nice about everything. Maybe, they have more unseasoned items now, as I have not tried them since then. But, have been meaning to. Armetta B)

Archived