This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Crying Spells

Coolclimates

Coolclimates Collaborator

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease since May 4. Since then, I've had several (probably 5 or 6) days of crying spells. They don't generally last real long and they often times just come out of the blue (so to say). I've been stressed out with some other things in my life lately, too, so this might be part of it. And these crying spells generally don't happen before I get my period (although I also suffer from PMS). The first few weeks were the worst and I cried like every 2-3 days. Anyone else experiencing this? Does this go away after awhile? Maybe it's part of the withdrawal symptoms that I'm suffering because I've suddenly changed my diet drastically?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Oh Honey! The first 2 months, most of us are in mourning - Even if we see the benefit and are all for the gluten-free lifestyle. It's not just even the foods we can't eat (because with time we find alternatives) . It's the lose of spontaneity. We must think about and plan our food lives. We can't just meet at any old bar for dinner or when running errands stop for a quick bite.

So.... Cry - because you have the right to.

Know - that it gets easier and life becomes more automatic

Have fun- trying new foods and using this as the excuse to eat something no one else in the family likes

You can do it! And it's OK to feel.

conniebky Collaborator

Hey hon, I have had a really bad week, I'm surprised they haven't said I'm posting too much this week!

Have you all ever seen the movie Somethings Gotta Give with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson? Diane Keaton goes on and on crying and crying until it becomes comical. It's one of my favorite scenes ever.

That's what I've been doing all week, and let me tell you, I'm a tough one, I don't go around crying. This morning I was trying to pay my phone bill and they kept telling me push this button, push that one, and it reduced me to tears.

I cried and cried cuz I didn't feel like pushing buttons. Cry, hon, it's good for you! The way I look at it, it cleans ya out, get rid of it - cry until you feel better, seriously. (((HUGS)))

kareng Grand Master

Hey hon, I have had a really bad week, I'm surprised they haven't said I'm posting too much this week!

Have you all ever seen the movie Somethings Gotta Give with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson? Diane Keaton goes on and on crying and crying until it becomes comical. It's one of my favorite scenes ever.

That's what I've been doing all week, and let me tell you, I'm a tough one, I don't go around crying. This morning I was trying to pay my phone bill and they kept telling me push this button, push that one, and it reduced me to tears.

I cried and cried cuz I didn't feel like pushing buttons. Cry, hon, it's good for you! The way I look at it, it cleans ya out, get rid of it - cry until you feel better, seriously. (((HUGS)))

Yea, you've been posting too much. :). Me too.

I know I would get so overwhelmed and frustrated trying to follow the push 1 , etc and not getting where you need to be.

Thanks, both of you, for your kind replies. Yes, I've seen that movie and it is pretty funny, even when Diana Keaton won't stop crying...

• 5 weeks later...
aldea-muchacha Rookie

hey. I have been gluten free for a year now. I go through those spells when I cry. For no reason at all. If i have been contaminated sometimes i just feel really overwhelmed by nothing at all and just start crying for no good reason. Sometimes it seems like my brain will make up an excuse about what I am crying about, just to have a reason, but in reality, its usually not something that would make me cry. I don't know if thats the same thing you are talking about that, but if it is, then yes it happens to me too. I find that I have a lot of emotional symptoms when I eat something with gluten in it. Hope that helps!!

charles76 Newbie

I don't know if this is exactly the same, but I used to get really emotional before and during when I was going off of gluten. I also got more sensitive to it, or at least more responsive to already being sensitive to the gluten. One thing I know, having been able to directly related gluten to responding emotionally, is that there is a real, physical link, so don't give up figuring it out, and know that when you do you'll be able to know you're being affected by something for real. I didn't get spells, but embarrassingly bad social anxiety - talking to random strangers, that has definitely gone away since I'm gluten-free, in general, unless I get gluted - and in that case my reaction is much more manageable.

And, sorry if this is more private, but there is definitely a connection between hormones and gluten. There is a reason why autoimmune disorders are treated with cortisone. And its probably online somewhere that immune reaction causes depletion of hormones or inhibition of release.

Don't give up! You'll find the reason!

Oh, and extra protein seems to help me after and attack.. Good Luck to you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

thanks, everyone. I'm doing much better emotionally than I was before. In fact, no crying spells for over a month! I'm sure I'll get more in the future, but I won't let that bother me. I do also have problems with PMS (certain months are worse than others) so often I get crying spells during those times. Anyway, I feel like I'm in a better state emotionally.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Witin 24 hours of having dairy or soy I will get depression and start crying over nothing.

• 1 month later...
sweeeeet Rookie

I want to add to this post, I have crying spells frequently, but they are not due to depression. The spell will come on suddenly with my other symptoms right after I have ingested a trigger food like gluten or wheat, and are accompanied by extreme fatigue, brain fog, a spinning head, shortness of breath, a jumpy stomach, cramps and excessive distention and bloat.

I've been this way for years, when I try to control it in public, I have to scrunch my face up and keep it all in and try breathing slow, and people look at me and say, Oh my God what the bleep is wrong? And I tell them it's nothing, I'm used to it but I can't control it. At home, I let it all out and it feels better.

Anybody else hear of this?

• 2 weeks later...
TiffersAnn Apprentice

I have been eating gluten free for 5 years now and sometimes I still break down into tears when I am surrounded by people eating pizza or muffins. I feel soooo much better that I do not eat that nasty gluten, but still can't help myself sometimes. Go ahead and get it all out, but remember that it's ok to cry as long as you know that you ARE GOING to FEEL BETTER. It does get easier.

ok, i've been crying more lately. But it's not just the fact that I'm not feeling better from the gluten-free diet after 4 months. I'm also in real danger of losing my job and having trouble finding other work, plus I was a victim in a car accident a month ago and have not had a car since (except for the last week in whom a nice man has lent me one of his Range Rovers). My car was totaled and the insurance company for the girl who crashed into me still have not claimed liability. However, I got some money from my insurance group, but not enough to pay for a new car. I've just been a huge ball of stress lately, and I feel tired and depressed a lot, plus anxiety. My parents (particularly my mom) have really been on edge, too, and that has not helped at all. The stress is getting to them, too.

mushroom Proficient

Sometimes it seems like life just piles too much on to us to handle all at once. I feel your pain. Your own insurance company should pay out on your policy and then arbitrate against the insurance company for the party at fault. Have you talked to your own insurance agent?? He might be able to help you locate another vehicle even if it isn't equivalent to what you had. (It hardly ever is because of depreciation). Thankfully you seem to have no injuries from the accident - try to look on the bright side. :)

I'm sorry I can't help you with your job. Have your talked with HR or whatever passes for HR wherever you work, and discussed your health problems and asked for special dispensation until you can get your health problems resolved? It is much better to be up front about these things than let them linger - like letting your house go into foreclosure instead of contacting your lender and working out a different repayment schedule or negotiating a new loan. You could possibly negotiate some flex time to cover the days when you cannot drag yourself to work???

I have not been totally following your symptom/recovery journey so don't know what to advise on where you're at with the gluten free journey. For some of us it takes longer to see the positive results from giving up gluten; for many of us (and I seem to recall you are one) it takes giving up other things which are creating intolerances as well. Try to stay the course and listen to what your body is telling you.

It is easy to get into the "victim" syndrome (this is a word you have used) and not be proactive about things. Admittedly it is a lot harder to be proactive when you are depressed,, but looking upon yourself as a victim only leads to the 'poor me' kind of depression which does not get anything done. I don't want to come across as hard-hearted, because I know how difficult is to deal with all these things piled on top of one another, but the goal here is to start getting out from underneath.

Tell your parents to lay off, you have enough problems already without adding them to the list. See if you can find some subsidized counseling because it is starting to sound like you are entering into a depressive syndrome that is going to require some professional help. There is no shame in asking for help - that's what they are there for.

Try to take control of your life again by doing things that will advance your wellbeing, And do seek counselling from some source.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

thanks for your suggestions. But I'm already seeing a counselor, who is very good, several times a month. I just still have trouble. And my insurance company has offered me some compensation for the accident. I'm just angry because the insurance company of the other driver have been such jerks. I will be buying a new car soon, and the money given to me by my insurance agent certainly helps, but doesn't completely pay for a new car. I'm not opposed to getting a used car, but my dad is. And he is the one that is buying the car (I cannot afford to buy one myself).

I think I'd be much less depressed if I could get more work. It's just a bad feeling to be (nearly) out of work and feel like your talents and skills are going to waste. But so many other people are dealing with this, too, and many have it so much worse. So I should not complain too much, I guess.

My parents are extremely supportive of me and they are certainly willing to do fun things with me (and we still do). It's just a difficult spell for all of us right now.

Archived