4 replies to this topic

#1 kors

kors

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

O.K. - I have been gluten-free/DF for almost 3 weeks. Those three weeks were AMAZING - no pain, no fatigue, no brain fog, normal stomach issues, etc. I saw my PCP and she wants me to go off the gluten-free diet for 6 weeks to get an accurate diagnosis. I went off the diet (I hate using that word, its a lifestyle not a diet) three days ago, and I feel like crap. Here are some symptoms I am having - I would appreciate it if anyone can calm my fears and tell me this is normal.

-Major fatigue
-Headache
-Minor nausea
-Anxiety
-Diarrhea
-Gas
-Low Back Pain
-Low grade fever (99.5)

I don't think I can physically handle eating like this for the next 6 weeks. If anyone can help calm me, I would appreciate it -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 conniebky

conniebky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

O.K. - I have been gluten-free/DF for almost 3 weeks. Those three weeks were AMAZING - no pain, no fatigue, no brain fog, normal stomach issues, etc. I saw my PCP and she wants me to go off the gluten-free diet for 6 weeks to get an accurate diagnosis. I went off the diet (I hate using that word, its a lifestyle not a diet) three days ago, and I feel like crap. Here are some symptoms I am having - I would appreciate it if anyone can calm my fears and tell me this is normal.

-Major fatigue
-Headache
-Minor nausea
-Anxiety
-Diarrhea
-Gas
-Low Back Pain
-Low grade fever (99.5)

I don't think I can physically handle eating like this for the next 6 weeks. If anyone can help calm me, I would appreciate it -

Maybe she can give you something? I feel just awful for ya.....can you just eat a tiny bit of gluten? Wouldn't work for me, I'd still be sick, but geez...can she give you something to help some of the symptoms? You should ask her, six weeks, that's a long time.
Be kind to each person that you meet, for everyone is fighting a great battle

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

Oh, I do feel for you. Having to go back on gluten after being gluten free is awful!!! I wonder if the doctors realize just what they are asking??

And how come they only want to test you AFTER you are gluten free, not before when you are complaining?? Okay, rhetorical question, sorry. But it makes me so mad. If the diagnosis is important to you, I guess you have to do it. But there's no way that I would do it. :P And no, I don't know of any way of making it feel better, to poison yourself.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 glutenfreefriend

glutenfreefriend

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

These are definately signs and it is not good the doctor is having you do this. I'm not sure why or what they are trying to prove. I wouldn't eat gluten ever again if a doctor asked me too. You could do other testing. Gffriend

-Major fatigue
-Headache
-Minor nausea
-Anxiety
-Diarrhea
-Gas
-Low Back Pain
-Low grade fever (99.5)

#5 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

Let you doctor know how sick you are with eating gluten. The best test is what you have just done, gone back to eating gluten with nasty results. Remember that lab tests and biopsy results can still be negative even if you are Celiac or intolerant. You do not need to suffer.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: