#1 Grace'smom

Grace'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hi there,

If anyone read my post about the grief my newly diagnosed 6-yr-old child was experiencing, today's meltdown was over her wanting a traditional Rice Krispies treat snack-pack. My husband went to the store to buy the ingredients for gluten-free Rice Krispie treats and we googled the recipes online. While Kraft foods maintains that their Marshmallow Fluff is gluten-free on its website, every single recipe I've searched for incorporates Kraft's mini marshmallows in the recipe, and nowhere did anyone use Kraft's marshmallow fluff. I just wondered if this was merely a coiincidence, or is there something I'm missing? Does anyone know if traditional Marshmallow Fluff is truly safe? I've read the labels online, visited Kraft's website, and they have a nutrition Q&A column there, which states that Marshmallow Fluff is gluten free and kosher. So I should be safe in baking them, but I'm wondering why no gluten-free recipes are using it. Thank you!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Kraft is good about labeling their products. Here's their website telling about how they label with examples. I make Rice Krispie treats all the time but never have used the fluff.

http://www.kraftreci...nfreefoods.aspx
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

I eat kraft marshmallows and marshmallow fluff all the time. I don't see why it would matter in the recipe if you used kraft instead of the other brand. As for the mention of it in (or lack there of) in recipes, that particular brand is what they used. The traditional marshmallow fluff has been around and people tend to buy what is most familure.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

Are Kelloggs rice krispies still made with malt?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Are Kelloggs rice krispies still made with malt?

Yes, they are.

Nature's Path Crispy Rice is similar, but is gluten-free and organic (and more expensive, of course).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Just 5 Kids

Just 5 Kids

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

We don't use any Rice Krispy's we us Fruity Pebbles and they make awesome marshmello treat. I take them to luncheons and they are always the first desert to go. Make them just like rice krispies but replace them with fruity pebbles or the cocco ones.

#7 seezee

seezee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

There are gluten free rice krisps made by Erewhon. We also made them with Rice Chex which tasted more close to Rice Krispies. Did you see Kraft's explanation of how they label foods?

http://www.kraftreci...nfreefoods.aspx

#8 Beth03456

Beth03456

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

We have also found gluten-free rice crispy treats to buy at Whole Foods. They come in that all-important shiny wrapper that our pre-schooler considers important. We send them as emergency treats to school.
-Beth

Mommy to Steven, age 4 - diagnosed with Celiac July 2009 at age 3 via TTG IGA and endoscope/biopsy. He's grown several inches since going gluten-free!
And to Paige, age 6 - No celiac disease, just a picky eater

#9 Grace'smom

Grace'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

We don't use any Rice Krispy's we us Fruity Pebbles and they make awesome marshmello treat. I take them to luncheons and they are always the first desert to go. Make them just like rice krispies but replace them with fruity pebbles or the cocco ones.

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that Children's Hospital Boston told us last week to stay away from Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles as tests showed significant cross contamination. Post Cereals makes gluten containing cereals and that is why they refuse to label those 2 cereals gluten free, because of the cross contamination factor. A child at Children's was found to have high levels of gluten in her blood work, and they traced it back to the cereal. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I should let you know. Take care, Emily

#10 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that Children's Hospital Boston told us last week to stay away from Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles as tests showed significant cross contamination. Post Cereals makes gluten containing cereals and that is why they refuse to label those 2 cereals gluten free, because of the cross contamination factor. A child at Children's was found to have high levels of gluten in her blood work, and they traced it back to the cereal. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I should let you know. Take care, Emily

Yeah, I don't do any mainstream cereals except Chex. The risk of cc just seems way too high. There are so many gluten-free alternatives out there and if you buy through amazon and use their subscription service the price isn't "that" bad.

#11 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

I've never seen a recipe that called for fluff. I always use the standard recipe (the one with 40 large marshmallows) and just sub gluten-free cereal.

There are also gluten-free crispy rice snacks that even come in blue individual packages. You might check those out for long shelf life versions of the famous kid snack!

#12 Kelly&Mom

Kelly&Mom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:59 PM

[Don't know if anyone else here has WinCo near them but in their bulk section, they carry a rice krispy treat individually wrapped. I've read the ingredients and except for possible cross contamination, they appear OK?
Celiac disease, diagnosed 2/10, symptoms since I was about 13 or so. Mom died of non-Hodgkins lymphoma that originated in her intestinal tract at age 56

Daughter, 14 yrs. old, diagnosed 9/10 after about a year of stomach problems, eczema (now gone!!), also has IBS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: