Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten-Free Rice Krispie Treats

12 posts in this topic

Hi there,

If anyone read my post about the grief my newly diagnosed 6-yr-old child was experiencing, today's meltdown was over her wanting a traditional Rice Krispies treat snack-pack. My husband went to the store to buy the ingredients for gluten-free Rice Krispie treats and we googled the recipes online. While Kraft foods maintains that their Marshmallow Fluff is gluten-free on its website, every single recipe I've searched for incorporates Kraft's mini marshmallows in the recipe, and nowhere did anyone use Kraft's marshmallow fluff. I just wondered if this was merely a coiincidence, or is there something I'm missing? Does anyone know if traditional Marshmallow Fluff is truly safe? I've read the labels online, visited Kraft's website, and they have a nutrition Q&A column there, which states that Marshmallow Fluff is gluten free and kosher. So I should be safe in baking them, but I'm wondering why no gluten-free recipes are using it. Thank you!!

Ads by Google:

I eat kraft marshmallows and marshmallow fluff all the time. I don't see why it would matter in the recipe if you used kraft instead of the other brand. As for the mention of it in (or lack there of) in recipes, that particular brand is what they used. The traditional marshmallow fluff has been around and people tend to buy what is most familure.

Are Kelloggs rice krispies still made with malt?

Are Kelloggs rice krispies still made with malt?

Yes, they are.

Nature's Path Crispy Rice is similar, but is gluten-free and organic (and more expensive, of course).

We don't use any Rice Krispy's we us Fruity Pebbles and they make awesome marshmello treat. I take them to luncheons and they are always the first desert to go. Make them just like rice krispies but replace them with fruity pebbles or the cocco ones.

We have also found gluten-free rice crispy treats to buy at Whole Foods. They come in that all-important shiny wrapper that our pre-schooler considers important. We send them as emergency treats to school.

We don't use any Rice Krispy's we us Fruity Pebbles and they make awesome marshmello treat. I take them to luncheons and they are always the first desert to go. Make them just like rice krispies but replace them with fruity pebbles or the cocco ones.

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that Children's Hospital Boston told us last week to stay away from Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles as tests showed significant cross contamination. Post Cereals makes gluten containing cereals and that is why they refuse to label those 2 cereals gluten free, because of the cross contamination factor. A child at Children's was found to have high levels of gluten in her blood work, and they traced it back to the cereal. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I should let you know. Take care, Emily

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that Children's Hospital Boston told us last week to stay away from Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles as tests showed significant cross contamination. Post Cereals makes gluten containing cereals and that is why they refuse to label those 2 cereals gluten free, because of the cross contamination factor. A child at Children's was found to have high levels of gluten in her blood work, and they traced it back to the cereal. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I should let you know. Take care, Emily

Yeah, I don't do any mainstream cereals except Chex. The risk of cc just seems way too high. There are so many gluten-free alternatives out there and if you buy through amazon and use their subscription service the price isn't "that" bad.

I've never seen a recipe that called for fluff. I always use the standard recipe (the one with 40 large marshmallows) and just sub gluten-free cereal.

There are also gluten-free crispy rice snacks that even come in blue individual packages. You might check those out for long shelf life versions of the famous kid snack!

[Don't know if anyone else here has WinCo near them but in their bulk section, they carry a rice krispy treat individually wrapped. I've read the ingredients and except for possible cross contamination, they appear OK?