#1 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

Hello :)

I just bought some sweet chili stir fry sauce from Sainsbury's, then got home to notice the "not suitable for wheat, gluten, milk (etc.) allergy sufferers due to the methods used in the manufacture of this product."

Now I know this should be a no brainer. It clearly says on the package that the product is not suitable for me, and I should therefore not eat it. I was just wondering though, if this is similar to the US "may contain" label which is incredibly overused (and in fact I eat some things which have that label with absolutely no problems).

Thanks in advance to the gluten-free English folks who can provide me with any insight :)
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

Hello :)

I just bought some sweet chili stir fry sauce from Sainsbury's, then got home to notice the "not suitable for wheat, gluten, milk (etc.) allergy sufferers due to the methods used in the manufacture of this product."

Now I know this should be a no brainer. It clearly says on the package that the product is not suitable for me, and I should therefore not eat it. I was just wondering though, if this is similar to the US "may contain" label which is incredibly overused (and in fact I eat some things which have that label with absolutely no problems).

Thanks in advance to the gluten-free English folks who can provide me with any insight :)

Plain and simple..... I wouldn't cook it for my guys <_<

That is only my opinion though. I do use stuff that doesn't specifically say 'gluten free' but has nothing dodgy in the ingredients.

I see it as damage limitation ;)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#3 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

Plain and simple..... I wouldn't cook it for my guys <_<

That is only my opinion though. I do use stuff that doesn't specifically say 'gluten free' but has nothing dodgy in the ingredients.

I see it as damage limitation ;)

Thanks Nikki for your very logical response :D (I know I've mentioned this before but your country is the best for gluten-free. I love it)!
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#4 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hello there,

My understanding is that this message indicates a risk of cross-contamination, so I guess it's the same as the more common 'may contain' message. I wouldn't eat foods with either label.

When I first went gluten-free, I was halfway through a bag of Sainsbury's beansprouts, which are also marked as unsuitable - it hadn't occurred to me to check something that simple.

Allie

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

#5 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

Was just about to ask about this. I've been eating gluten-free crisp or cracker breads for lunch and my asthma is back as are the neuro symptoms. I can tell within half an hour, now if I've had something troublesome so i know it's these that are the culprit. Stupidly, I took the risk based on the ingredients and ignored the "not suitable for milk allergy" message, thinking they were covering their backs.

New Coeliac Lesson 1001 I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: