#1 Grace'smom

Grace'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

I have some confusion over M&Ms.

M&Ms candy contains Dextrim, but according to a post I read online, the writer, who had celiac disease, contacted M&M/Mars and was told the candy was gluten free as the Dextrim is not gluten containing. I'm curious, then, why in the bestselling book Raising Your Celiac Child by Donna Korn, she lists hundreds of gluten free candies and manufacturers, everything from Hershey's to Cadburys, and does not list M&Ms as an approved candy for celiac kids. Can anyone clear this question up for me?

Thanks!

Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Any list is not 100% complete, and as formulas change, they become dated.

Dextrin is usually safe, although rarely it can be derived from wheat (which would have to be declared in the US under FALCPA).

M&Ms are gluten-free. I have personally checked this out, as I get free ones from Mars reps frequently (my store sells Mars products at retail).
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 knittingmonkey

knittingmonkey

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:26 PM

M&Ms are gluten-free. I have personally checked this out, as I get free ones from Mars reps frequently (my store sells Mars products at retail).

So glad to know this! M&Ms are my weakness. Been strong so far, but never know how long it's going to last. ;)

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

There are now some with pretzels. I don't know if cross contamination is an issue or not. We can't have them because of a peanut allergy. So I never checked.

#5 snoopdawn

snoopdawn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hi! I have a 4yr old son with Celiac. He is extremely sensitive to gluten, and eats M and Ms all the time with no reaction. The peanut and plain are both safe, but not sure about ant other types. Skittles are gluten-free too! Enjoy!

M&Ms candy contains Dextrim, but according to a post I read online, the writer, who had celiac disease, contacted M&M/Mars and was told the candy was gluten free as the Dextrim is not gluten containing. I'm curious, then, why in the bestselling book Raising Your Celiac Child by Donna Korn, she lists hundreds of gluten free candies and manufacturers, everything from Hershey's to Cadburys, and does not list M&Ms as an approved candy for celiac kids. Can anyone clear this question up for me?

Thanks!

Emily

#6 StephanieGF

StephanieGF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

There are now some with pretzels. I don't know if cross contamination is an issue or not. We can't have them because of a peanut allergy. So I never checked.

Yeah, I saw those in the store recently too and was wondering if we are now going to start seeing CC issues with M&Ms? I wonder if they are made on the same lines as plain or peanut?

#7 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

Be careful with the lists in older books (my version of Dana's book is really old, not sure if there's an updated version). Formula's change over time and what we know changes over time. For example, you can still find vinegar listed as a questionable or even unsafe ingredient, but unless it's malt vinegar it's perfectly safe. Unfortunately the internet never forgets and books stay printed...that's why it's best to check multiple sources, call manufacturers, etc.

#8 VHill33

VHill33

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Any list is not 100% complete, and as formulas change, they become dated.

Dextrin is usually safe, although rarely it can be derived from wheat (which would have to be declared in the US under FALCPA).

Peter - They are gluten-free, but the real question is: Are they manufactured on the same equipment with other products that contain gluten? I look everywhere online and cannot seem to get this answer.

Seems like companies are great about listing their foods as being "gluten free" per the actual ingredients, but many are withholding about the cross contamination issues. For celiacs who are super sensitive, this is a big issue.

last Friday during a Halloween potluck, I ate some tortilla chips that said they were processed on a line with gluten containing items, and I got sick. Sometimes I take chances, and then regret that I do.

#9 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Peter - They are gluten-free, but the real question is: Are they manufactured on the same equipment with other products that contain gluten? I look everywhere online and cannot seem to get this answer.

Seems like companies are great about listing their foods as being "gluten free" per the actual ingredients, but many are withholding about the cross contamination issues. For celiacs who are super sensitive, this is a big issue.

last Friday during a Halloween potluck, I ate some tortilla chips that said they were processed on a line with gluten containing items, and I got sick. Sometimes I take chances, and then regret that I do.

There was a thread about the concern over the safety of M&M's and possible CC issues a couple of months ago because of the introduction of pretzel M&M's. I can't remember where is was exactly, but I think it was over in the ingredients forum. Some one called and checked and said that the pretzel M&M's were made on overflow lines and that special holiday editions were also possibly made on overflow lines at times. I know that with every item formula's change so they do need to be checked often and any list need to be updated. I think that is a clear enough answer that the majority is on dedicated lines but occasionally some may be routed to overflow lines. For me personally, I prefer to only provide products NOT made on the same lines. So I will give DS regular M&M's, but I will probably not let him have any of the special seasonal colors.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#10 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

There was a thread about the concern over the safety of M&M's and possible CC issues a couple of months ago because of the introduction of pretzel M&M's. I can't remember where is was exactly, but I think it was over in the ingredients forum. Some one called and checked and said that the pretzel M&M's were made on overflow lines and that special holiday editions were also possibly made on overflow lines at times. I know that with every item formula's change so they do need to be checked often and any list need to be updated. I think that is a clear enough answer that the majority is on dedicated lines but occasionally some may be routed to overflow lines. For me personally, I prefer to only provide products NOT made on the same lines. So I will give DS regular M&M's, but I will probably not let him have any of the special seasonal colors.

Here is a link to the thread you were referring to

http://www.celiac.co...es-appears-low/
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#11 scarlett77

scarlett77

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

Here is a link to the thread you were referring to

http://www.celiac.co...es-appears-low/

You are awesome! Thank you.
Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

#12 Carl S

Carl S

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

Thanks!

Emily

My 11-year-old daughter eats the plain M&Ms with no problems. She's very sensitive, so we'd know if there were any issues.

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

Peter - They are gluten-free, but the real question is: Are they manufactured on the same equipment with other products that contain gluten?

My understanding is that they are produced on equipment that does not process any gluten, but in the same facility where wheat and barley are ingredients in other products.

Until an FDA-regulated definition of gluten-free is in place, many companies will not claim their products are gluten-free. Without a legal definition, it means whatever the plaintiff's attorney can convince a civil jury it means. Mainstream companies do not test their ingredients or final products for possible gluten contamination because of what it would cost.

Due to the potential legal liability, Mars Inc. will not claim ANY of their products to be gluten-free, even though many actually are.

The rule being considered by the FDA would require that no gluten be intentionally included, and that testing would find less than 20 parts per million (20ppm) of gluten in the finished product. Twenty ppm is a small amount, but it is not ZERO. Nevertheless, a product which actually contains ZERO gluten tests as less than 20ppm. ZERO can never be proven scientifically.

Even with testing, and elaborate precautions at the manufacturing facility, it is always possible for an ingredient to arrive already contaminated, or for a person to enter the facility with gluten on their person. There can be no absolute guarantees.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

The rule being considered by the FDA would require that no gluten be intentionally included, and that testing would find less than 20 parts per million (20ppm) of gluten in the finished product.

And the debate is about whether small amounts of gluten, less than 20ppm, could knowingly be included and still permit the product to be labeled gluten-free.
Peter

#15 mjk2001

mjk2001

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Just a quick note to all. 

I travel for a living and have many family members who are celiacs, so I always have to check what I buy them. 

If you travel abroad be aware that some m&ms are not gluten free. M&ms in Australia are Not gluten-free and it is as easy as checking the packet. 

So far I know that m&m's in the USA, Singapore and the UK are all gluten free. (This specifically applies to plain and peanut m&ms only)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: